Ai500 and the 400fps dmr rule

sp00n
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

So I was reading through ai500's rule (I know, there train set, there rules), and I spotted that dmr's are only allowed 400fps, where as most sites allow 450fps.

Just wondering what others thoughts are on this, could it be to give BASR's a major advantage?

Or could it be to deter people from choosing to run a dmr, as it only gets 50fps more then an aeg.....

While im not familiar with that site, my local only allows 368 for aeg and 400 for DMR and 500 for bolt action, since most people will run AEGs in single shot mode most of the time.

Its to stop being being idiots and rapid tapping a suped up DMR so it may aswell be full auto and to give purpose to bolt actions i presume.

Without directly calling out who or why, basically they don't like DMR's but tolerate them at a pointless limit. Doesn't bother me, as i've done enough of them to know that they are pointless at their events, as they offer zero realistic advantage to any of the sites they choose for them.

• Supporters

I've come across quite a few sites that have rules that basically make DMRs a waste of time, it put me off building one when I was considering it. It does make me wonder why they don't just straight up say you can't use any semi or full auto rifle over 350 FPS. I guess it could be fear of losing a few players to it.

yup, we get a lot of folk whinging about the amount of snipers at Holmbush, if they made the DMR role more worthwhile it would stop folk whining but they won't change them.

So I was reading through ai500's rule (I know, there train set, there rules), and I spotted that dmr's are only allowed 400fps, where as most sites allow 450fps.

Just wondering what others thoughts are on this, could it be to give BASR's a major advantage?

Or could it be to deter people from choosing to run a dmr, as it only gets 50fps more then an aeg.....

Strange - my local allows DMR 500 (with minimum engagement 30m). I think ours is realistic - on 99% of airsoft games, a sniper would normally never be needed, there are rarely such long range engagements. But the DMR/Sniper "box" lets people play the sniper role too, because a real airsoft sniper will be acting more of a DMR role in such close combat. The same restrictions apply, but the difference between DMR and Sniper are just the gun you're using - no full auto, no fast recurring shots, no close range engagements.

a DMR should be the middle ground between an AEG and a BASR, so if 350 and 500 then the DMR should sit at 425fps with the same MED as a BASR and an RPS limit too (or at least not be allowed to shoot till the last BB has hit/missed - so only 1 BB in the air at a time)

a DMR should be the middle ground between an AEG and a BASR, so if 350 and 500 then the DMR should sit at 425fps with the same MED as a BASR and an RPS limit too (or at least not be allowed to shoot till the last BB has hit/missed - so only 1 BB in the air at a time)

The whole bolt action vs semi theory (above 350fps) is some what ridiculous to my mind if the semi user must fire at the same ROF as the bolt user. I can't see any reason for semi DMR to be allowed in any scenario. Instead DMR should be any auto-disabled semi gun at 500 FPS with a mosfet preventing 2 bbs being discharged in under 2.5 seconds.

If I ran an airsoft site, thats what I would do, just ban all rifles firing above 350 FPS with a rate of fire exceeding 24 RPM (+25%). I accept that an extra 50FPS for bolties might be necessary to stop them whining too though. :0

Combat South Woodland has a blanket 400fps limit on anything that's not an AEG, but no MED. Which is a real shame as parts of the site and some of the games lend themselves to longer range engagements. As it is there's not much point in turning up with anything other than a decent 350 fps AEG.

At my two nearest fields, one has a 400 fps limit on DMRs and bolt action rifles but has not minimum engagement distance and the other has the minimum engagement distance of 30m but allows an fps of up to 450. it really depends on the field and the marshals cos it probably get annoying enforcing those rules. The lower fps limit field is actually a smaller forest field so the engagement distances are generally closer range so when you're making sure no one gets hurt in that situation it does kinda make sense.

My old site encouraged various weapon platforms to try and give them the audience they deserved.

350 for Assault / CQB stuff

450 for DMR (Long barrel rifle, optic, semi only, 15m MED)

450 for support guns (real life support gun, not an M4 with box mag, must be rested or bipod deployed and correct trigger discipline, 30m MED)

550 for sniper weapons (bolt action or semi-auto from factory, 30m MED)

It lead to weapon types being used as they would be rather than M4 Patriot sniper support guns.

Archived