silicone spray

Daz85UK

Hi all, 

just picked up my first AEG

they sprayed silicone spray in the barrel and straight up the feed tube where the mag would go, is this right?

cheers

Edited by Daz85UK

The silicone spray won't do any damage but before you load up and shoot it make sure that that you give it a good wipe down to get it all off, including down the barrel.

You Tube is a good source of vid's on how to clean an AEG, watch a few of them to get an idea of how it should be done.

I mean, that's a fucking dumb thing to do, especially if it's new, heck even if it's old and used you should be cleaning barrels with isoproply alcohol and don't get it anywhere near the hop rubber 

Expect your first few hundred shots to go everywhere until it's spotlessly clean 

• Supporters

Let's hope that the hop rubber didn't get too wet, the silicon spray could cause the rubber to swell, making it overtop or even non functional. 

• Supporters

27 minutes ago, Tackle said:

Let's hope that the hop rubber didn't get too wet, the silicon spray could cause the rubber to swell, making it overtop or even non functional. 

Myth busted.

It'll be fine, but you'll need to clean it thoroughly, particularly the hop rubber.

What dealer did that?

• Supporters
36 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Myth busted.

It'll be fine, but you'll need to clean it thoroughly, particularly the hop rubber.

What dealer did that?

I've never lubed a hop rubber with silicon..........

BUT

While cleaning & lubing the slide on one of my tm hi-capa's, I was a little generous with the lube, & unbeknown to me wet a rubber "ring" at the rear of the slide, couple of days later at a skirmish the pistol wouldn't cycle, later on closer inspection I could see that the "ring", which I think was some sort of buffer, had swollen, preventing the slide from returning to the forward position.

I haven't watched the above video yet, but I can only talk from my own experience, hence why I'd be cynical about getting it near the hop, I've sorted plenty of leaky gas mags with it.

I wouldn't return it, just give the barrel and hop unit a really good clean, the gun should've come with a cleaning rod and Instructions can be found online. To be honest it's a good idea to clean out the barrel of new guns anyway as they often (especially the clones) come with dirty barrels)

9 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

What dealer did that?

This

• Daz85UK changed the title to silicone spray