Newb

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all.

Completely new to all this. I have owned several single shot replica BB pistols for numerous years. They all look real  I.e. no contrasting colours to show it is a toy. I have never used them anywhere that was not my home. 

I live in the UK and am ex forces and now retired. 

I intend to go to a meet in Belgium on my motorcycle. Where there will be fancy dress and peeps in uniforms from the battle of the bulge. I intend to go as a GI tanker with my 1911 BB automatic as my side weapon in an authentic webbing holster.  After seeing some posts about import/export to and from UK I'm at a bit of a loss as whether this is possible and what hoops I would have to jump through. Don't intend to take any BBs even as its just a prop. I will be using the channel tunnel. 

Comments please?

^^^wot he said^^^

The bb's aren't the problem but even taking a plastic/rubber replica could cause you big problems, best to wear the kit, enjoy the trip & fill the holster with mars bars on the way there & croissants on the way back.

I'm not sure what holster you have, but maybe physically chop the gun to remove most of the material not visible when it is holstered, and then work out a way of retaining the visible remnants inside the holster- a few stitches or epoxy? Still not a garunteed hassle free solution though....

Those are RIFs. There is no UK law against export of RIFs. (Not sure about any import law on the other side)

It is only when you bring them back i.e. importing RIFs it becomes a VCRA offence.

Among the available defences, in your case it would be the defence of holding of organisation and holding of historical re-enactments.

You just need some evidence for it e.g. photos from the event, and there is no sign of you doing anything not allowed.

(4)For the purposes of this section a person shall be taken to have shown a matter specified in subsection (1) or (3) if—

(a)sufficient evidence of that matter is adduced to raise an issue with respect to it; and

(b)the contrary is not proved beyond a reasonable doubt.

As above though, deacs or non firing is obviously a lot easier. You could disable the pistol from being able to fire at all, to comply more but that would be down to you.

As the OP is attending a reenactment event I'm not sure import laws would apply.

Is it an official organised event? If so then take the paperwork with you to show if you get stopped at the border. I'm sure you probably know this next bit but I'm going to post it anyway, make sure the replica is in a box, preferably locked, rather than loose in your bag

@Cannonfodder Certainly importing is a VCRA s36 offence for "Manufacture, import and sale of realistic imitation firearms", which allows for a few defences including historical re-enactment and airsoft skirmishing

It is the exact same offence when someone sells an RIF

@JinxDuh Unfortunately disabling it won't be relevant for the purpose of VCRA, because an RIF is purely based on appearance

However you can two-tone it, or make it entirely a certain bright colour, it would become an IF and no longer subject to s36

7 minutes ago, Pseudotectonic said:

@Cannonfodder Certainly importing is a VCRA s36 offence for "Manufacture, import and sale of realistic imitation firearms", which allows for a few defences including historical re-enactment and airsoft skirmishing

It is the exact same offence when someone sells an RIF

@JinxDuh Unfortunately disabling it won't be relevant for the purpose of VCRA, because an RIF is purely based on appearance

However you can two-tone it, or make it entirely a certain bright colour, it would become an IF and no longer subject to s36

Initially I assumed he was a reenactor. To be honest the surest way to not have issues is to just leave it at home. It’s not exactly necessary, the kit can still be worn without a pistol. That would be my personal choice and decision if I was in ops shoes. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.