Battery Question

JuggyUK

I need verification on a battery purchase for the following RIF's.

2x Double Eagle M906 and M916

1x KWA Eve-9 with Gate Titan BT

1x Specna Arms SA-X02 with Gate Aster v2

I'm looking at the following battery, small in size, in fact the PTS stock on the KWA can house 2 or possible 3 so easy to swap during gameplay.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1000mah-3s-20-40c-lipo-airsoft-pack-t-connector.html

Basically I'm looking to standardise my battery set for myself and my kids.

Should probably add that we're currently using a mix or Rebel and Nuprol batteries.

What voltage batteries are you using at the moment? If you're using 7.4v at the moment then stepping up to 11.1v may cause over spin.

8f you're already using 11.1v batteries then I can't see why you shouldn't use that battery

The low capacity just means you'll need more of them, the nanotech batteries are pretty good I have found.

Is that the largest battery you can fit? You can refine the search for hobby king batteries using dimensions... you may already be aware.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1200mah-3s-15-25c-lipo-airsoft-pack-t-connector.html

Edited by Sewdhull

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Cannonfodder said:

What voltage batteries are you using at the moment? If you're using 7.4v at the moment then stepping up to 11.1v may cause over spin.

8f you're already using 11.1v batteries then I can't see why you shouldn't use that battery

Thanks, I am using 11.1v already so should be good. 

1 hour ago, Sewdhull said:

The low capacity just means you'll need more of them, the nanotech batteries are pretty good I have found.

Is that the largest battery you can fit? You can refine the search for hobby king batteries using dimensions... you may already be aware.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-1200mah-3s-15-25c-lipo-airsoft-pack-t-connector.html

I looked at those but they may be a bit thick for the Double Eagles. I'll purchase 1 and check but I know for sure the 1000mAh will fit and should last 3 or 4 30 minute sessions the way we play.

Edited by JuggyUK

Interstingly the Turnigy batteries are larger than the Nuprols I have.

My Nuprol 1450mAh 11.1v battery is smaller than the Turnigy 1000mAh 11.1v.

The volumes of the cells do vary at similar capacities, more volume can give you more capacity and/or more current ability.

Worth bearing in mind that drawing more current will reduce the capacity of the cell.

By which I mean less current will give you more mAh.

In Airsoft you don't usually need high C, low internal resistance batteries.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Sewdhull said:

The volumes of the cells do vary at similar capacities, more volume can give you more capacity and/or more current ability.

Worth bearing in mind that drawing more current will reduce the capacity of the cell.

By which I mean less current will give you more mAh.

Thanks, I have a mild understanding of the C rating. I have a few 20/40C 1000 mAh batteries and have ordered a 15/25C 1200 mAh to check physical size in my RIF.

Edited by JuggyUK

• Supporters
10 hours ago, Sewdhull said:

Need, maybe not, but I'd always choose higher C (and higher capacity) over lower.

Although with the caveat that anyone can claim anything, and very rarely have it tested.

Hmm, I might suggest airsoft batteries to to ProjectFarm... 🤔

14 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

Although with the caveat that anyone can claim anything, and very rarely have it tested.

Hmm, I might suggest airsoft batteries to to ProjectFarm... 🤔

One of the reasons I’ve chosen Turnigy as my preferred battery, they seem to get very good reviews and when tested are close to stated specs

Other than the plug and it fitting, there's no Airsoft battery as such.

You can imagine that batteries, even small ones that supply more than a hundred amps regularly need to be 'better' than a battery putting out 40.

I use Amazon batteries and some nano techs and whilst youd notice it on a drone in a gun you don't.

I'll charge all mine up, leave them a day and see what the rof is and put a new post up. Maybe I'll have my super dooper lion battery made by then.

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Sewdhull said:

Other than the plug and it fitting, there's no Airsoft battery as such.

You can imagine that batteries, even small ones that supply more than a hundred amps regularly need to be 'better' than a battery putting out 40.

I use Amazon batteries and some nano techs and whilst youd notice it on a drone in a gun you don't.

I'll charge all mine up, leave them a day and see what the rof is and put a new post up. Maybe I'll have my super dooper lion battery made by then.

I guess for me it's about getting what I paid for and not some bad quality battery that doesn't deliver what's written on the packaging. I know this is probably a bad example but I would never use the cheap batteries that come with electronic goods. I always replace them with Duracell or Energizer because I know the qualify is good and the battery is reliable.

Edited by JuggyUK

1 hour ago, Sewdhull said:

I test all the batteries I buy and return the crap ones.

I don't worry about capacity if the IR is low. Give and take...

That is very handy if you have the knowledge and testing equipment but not so easy for the average Joe.

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, JuggyUK said:

34 minutes ago, Sewdhull said:

A good charger will do that the IMAX b6 type and it's clones for example. They aren't expensive about 35 quid.

I have an Overlander VSR Mini, will that do?

Edited by JuggyUK

Posted (edited)

Yes it has IR function. Chargers haven't got better in a long time, so there's lots of good ones out there. Cabling is often an issue but if all your batteries have the same plug it won't matter. XT60 for the win.

If you test the battery when new, fully charged, then test occasionally will see the battery decline over time.

Useful for comparing know good batteries to any new ones you get.

Edited by Sewdhull

yeah higher C is always better, I'd say most "airsoft sized" batteries don't actually have enough C (regardless of their marketing C) and will drop voltage as much as half during the initial surge current, so don't trust the C rating on the battery label, the capacity in mAh is probably a better indication of whether it can provide high actual C, so always get the highest mAh you can practically fit

The Overlander VSRmini looks fine to me, it is a smart charger so it should do more than good enough job, any charger with a screen and has a few buttons for navigating menus and adjust settings is a smart charger, needless to say smart is almost always better than dumb

There are batteries of lower capacity that can provide more current and the opposite is true.

I have a few 5 to 10C batteries I used for RC stuff but these have a capacity of a few Ah so still provide a reasonable current, well enough for the servos and avionics etc.

The C rating is a way you could compare batteries of differing capacities, but what is changing is thier IR. It's an industry engineering thing which i now used in marketing with all the reliability that brings. Get a decent charger and compare the IR yourself, its a comparison more than a measurement because it will vary. 

Manufacturers use thinner separators ,varying formulations of electrolite to get different characteristics.

For example, nanotech cells seem to be similarly formulated both large and small and do tend to have lower IR when they are larger. The lithium ion 18650 cells have rated currents and capacities which vary wildly given the cell is a fixed size.