Which MP7?

MrTea

Hey all. Recently I've noticed an increase in MP7s being listed for sale and with a tidy little bonus from work (and another sale falling through) I'm keeping my eyes on the classifieds for the right one to turn up. However, I've noticed that the majority of MP7s that come up for sale are TM with the odd couple of VFC/Umarex and even WE versions appearing.

I know some of these aren't 1:1 scale, some are with and without trademarks and some (OOTB) perform better than others and they have different weak points.

The vast majority of people I've seen all say that the VFC (Gen2) are the best to get but they have a premium attached and they rarely turn up. Additionally, replacement parts are supposed to be scarce online plus going directly to VFC, in my experience, takes a fair while to get a reply and the parts.

TM versions, again from what I've read, have a thinner plastic/polymer shell so have a steel 'skeleton' to help reinforce the RIF but the shell is prone to cracking, especially around the receiver pins and backplate. Spare parts online are either hard to find (out of stock) or expensive.

The WE/New Wave Small Rice versions are regarded as the worst (from what I've read) but aren't supposed to be as poor as people make them out to be however, you often get what you pay for in Airsoft but the price is so significantly lower, even new, it may warrant consideration. Compared to the others above, there's a lot of WE replacement parts available but I'm not sure if this speaks to the RIFs lack of quality/durability from the factory.

Would appreciate insight from people who currently own, or have owned, any of these.

Hi.

I had a we mp7 and was happy with it. It had a good weight and a very strong recoil. I liked the build quality although after half a day using it I found it became a little uncomfortable to hold and tended to rub between my thumb and first finger due to the design of the pistol grip.

It was a frightening sound down the bunkers though because it was very loud.

It did develop a problem on the fire selector though and would suddenly switch to full when I'm semi.

I sold it on here for spares or repair.

Posted (edited)

@Sewdhull Thanks for the link to that thread, I've had a read through it. The only thing that turns me off the TM MP7 is the fact that it's not 1:1 but seeing that side by side comparison really puts it into light. Why wouldn't they make it 1:1?

I've actually spotted a decent package of a TM MP7, 5 mags and angrygun tracer/suppressor.

As suspected, the WE needs work OOTB but will work if looked after plus it's 1:1 scale. To be fair, I've never had an issue with any WE OEM guns I've had. The fire selector issue @Shamal has experienced sounds like it could be fixed relatively easily and appears to be an issue across brands.

Edited by MrTea

Yes, biggest "issue" with the Marui MP7 that it's scaled to 90% of the real deal (if it bothers you).

I never owned either WE or Marui but I have a VFC and every MP7 has the same issue more or less. Simply that constant bashing to the rear is gonna either crack the receiver or make it to explode whatever inside. Stock backplate is gonna give in over time. To my knowledge there is only one solution: aftermarket cnc'd backplate and any picatinny sling mount around the charging handle to make it more rigid. Well, that's what I did.

I think getting spares for Marui is way more difficult. If I need anything VFC related, I can go to mlemart or wgcshop or any other HK based retailer. Yes, worst case scenario VFC itself but it takes time for sure.

Edited by Krisz

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Krisz said:

Yes, biggest "issue" with the Marui MP7 that it's scaled to 90% of the real deal (if it bothers you).

I never owned either WE or Marui but I have a VFC and every MP7 has the same issue more or less. Simply that constant bashing to the rear is gonna either crack the receiver or make it to explode whatever inside. Stock backplate is gonna give in over time. To my knowledge there is only one solution: aftermarket cnc'd backplate and any picatinny sling mount around the charging handle to make it more rigid. Well, that's what I did.

I think getting spares for Marui is way more difficult. If I need anything VFC related, I can go to mlemart or wgcshop. Yes, worst case scenario VFC itself but it takes time for sure.

Yes, i've heard that getting the Laylax/FMA sling mount is a good idea to help reinforce the back of the RIF. I've read that some people have installed rubber pads/o-rings or similar behind the working parts to help absorb shock transferred to the back plate. I have seen the CNC back plate you're talking about but it's out of stock where I did see it.

As previously mentioned spares and repairs is also an area of concern. I've heard TM are hard to get parts for and when I had a look around, they appear to be mostly out of stock which I found strange considering how popular TM is. I'm guessing this is just because of how old the RIF is? WE on the other hand, appear to have plenty of spares on places like KYAirsoft. Thanks for the heads up about VFC spares if I do see one come up.

Edited by MrTea

11 hours ago, MrTea said:

@Sewdhull Thanks for the link to that thread, I've had a read through it. The only thing that turns me off the TM MP7 is the fact that it's not 1:1 but seeing that side by side comparison really puts it into light. Why wouldn't they make it 1:1?

I've actually spotted a decent package of a TM MP7, 5 mags and angrygun tracer/suppressor for £350.

As suspected, the WE needs work OOTB but will work if looked after plus it's 1:1 scale. To be fair, I've never had an issue with any WE OEM guns I've had. The fire selector issue @Shamal has experienced sounds like it could be fixed relatively easily and appears to be an issue across brands.

I Had a kwa mp7 for a while and it was pretty good but the moment the temperature dipped at all it became a bolt action so I ended up shifting it

Also the reason the tm one is 90% scale iirc is that they developed it when very little real world info for the real thing was available so they were basically trying to scale and build it from the few promo pics h&k had out at the time and it ended up a little small. 

TM MP7 user here. It's a TM so it's lovely - what is it they say about good things coming in small packages? (that's what I tell Mrs M anyway 😉)

Have got the aftermarket sling mount, just because you need one anyway just to sensibly use a sling. Mine's not exploded yet, if it does I'll fix it, might have a look for a CNC back plate though.

I find when you have this kind of decision to make, go with the one you like the look of. No point getting a TM because of their magic if it's just going to bug you that it's a tad smaller.

I had the vdc and my brother had the TM. Having used both, i would buy either! 

They have issues, as mentioned above, and to be honest, the size of the tm didnt bother me, as it felt good to use.

Your choice at the end of the day :)

21 hours ago, MrTea said:

Yes, i've heard that getting the Laylax/FMA sling mount is a good idea to help reinforce the back of the RIF. I've read that some people have installed rubber pads/o-rings or similar behind the working parts to help absorb shock transferred to the back plate. I have seen the CNC back plate you're talking about but it's out of stock where I did see it.

As previously mentioned spares and repairs is also an area of concern. I've heard TM are hard to get parts for and when I had a look around, they appear to be mostly out of stock which I found strange considering how popular TM is. I'm guessing this is just because of how old the RIF is? WE on the other hand, appear to have plenty of spares on places like KYAirsoft. Thanks for the heads up about VFC spares if I do see one come up.

Altough the Marui MP7 is a really good gun I wouldn't jump into one because it's nearly impossible to get parts for it. It's quite ridiculous...

8 hours ago, Krisz said:

Altough the Marui MP7 is a really good gun I wouldn't jump into one because it's nearly impossible to get parts for it. It's quite ridiculous...

I thought it was strange too that there's so few available anywhere. Can you approach TM directly for spares?

5 hours ago, MrTea said:

I thought it was strange too that there's so few available anywhere. Can you approach TM directly for spares?

No chance. Makes me wonder if you can get parts in Japan from local shops at least.

I would expect that Eagle6 or Impulse101 stock them but it looks like Marui isn't bothered to provide. Funny thing is that they still make MP7's so it' not like discontinued.

I'd love to buy a Marui FNX-45 but the same thing again. Literally 0 spares for it... 😕

Posted (edited)

I'll now bore you to death, though, I've a fair bit of experience with GBB MP7 brands (minus KWA).

VFC - You should only really stick to the Gen2 (most if not all retailers stock them now unless you get shafted in a dodgy sale). It's full scale with all the proper trades to make people like me happy and it performs very nicely out of the box. It can mag-dump on auto however don't expect the best when its colder. 
The internals are relatively straight forward and they're fine longevity wise as long as you don't abuse them. There is also the infamous "rear plate crack", as to which seems the only common problem so far, however, VFC sell replacements and aftermarket aluminium ones are available, though, as long as you stick to propane all year long it shouldn't give you any grief.
My only personal dislikes are the rather sloppy controls (whilst all MP7's are mushy this one seems to be worse) and the hop unit is very twitchy when using lower weight BB's, though it may be a me problem. The magazine baseplates (and the nub on the follower that keeps it in place) are also incredibly flimsy so try not to drop them. If you do end up breaking a nub, you can drill a small 2mm hole and insert a 2.5mm plug (can just be ground flat) tap into it, then add a small M2.5mm grub screw into it (ideally with some Green Loctite).

Tokyo Marui - The TM is pretty much one of the all timers in terms of GBB SMG's. Whilst it comes with the correct trading, it is 8% smaller than the VFC (or its real counterpart). I don't mind it as it makes it just a little more tactile and the magazines fit in my pouches easier, however, people with large hands and gloves may struggle slightly.  Performance wise, its more than likely the best you'll ever get as its punchy, has a decent range and accuracy and it will pretty much auto mag-dump any time of the year. 
Internally, there is the infamous "inside shell crack". This can be prevented by using the sling swivel (which absorbs and dissipates energy from the bolt) and keeping the gas on propane or 144a- my one went on for over 2 years with little sign of wear/damage.
If you get it, you will more than likely notice it as the gun with either become very unpredictable when it fires, or just stop working completely, and there's not much you can do about it. There's no spares and no real way to repair it. I also noticed that the bolt catch would only work with the stock collapsed after about a year. 
My personal dislikes don't go too far with it, I'm not a fan of the reverse bolt release and the weight as to which is can hop is quite limited (about a 0.28g) max. The piston cup would also swell a lot, causing jams. There were suggestions to just dump a load of silicone oil into it, but whilst it works, its unhealthy for pretty much every other aspect of the gun and it doesn't last long.

WE SMG8 + Rice MP7 - The SMG8 undoubtedly is quite an ugly sight. It's quite cumbersome and clunky. Performance wise its quite crap. It'll get by fine on semi but auto mag-dumps are quite an achievement to complete, and it really will not like the cold. The hop unit is not the best and its quite hard to adjust sometimes (it also requires a tool). Aside from that, it's efficient enough. 

The Rice MP7 is also fine, it feels a bit nicer and its a little more user friendly. It performs well enough to be enjoyable, and it can auto-dump, but certainly not greatly. It will handle relatively cold temperatures but don't expect much. The range is a little rubbish and the accuracy is fine.

These 2 MP7s are prone to breakdowns quite often, as they are internally made of the finest cheese, however, should you identify a broken part, WE have used all the worlds natural resources to create every spare part so you can easily just replace it and keep chugging along, which I suppose is rather nice, though, its much more of a headache than the potential issues that arise from the TM or the VFC (though the headache a TM gives when its broken is arguably worse). 

Basically just get a VFC or a TM and don't ramp up the gas pressure, you should be fine. 

Edited by SerialNoodle

Ty for the info SerialNoodle.

I have actually found a Umarex MP7A1 for sale. I believe (but could be wrong), that's these are the same as VFC?

Another nagging question is: How can you tell the Gen1 and Gen2 apart just from their externals? All I've been able to find so far is that the Gen2 has a metal outer barrel.

Ty.

I have one I might sell, gen 2 umarex/vfc mp7. 

Comes with 8 gas tight mags, aimpoint red dot sight and torch. I’m asking £550 

60B40CB1-7173-4AD6-A6E5-0430E14285A9.jpeg

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, MrTea said:

Ty for the info SerialNoodle.

I have actually found a Umarex MP7A1 for sale. I believe (but could be wrong), that's these are the same as VFC?

Another nagging question is: How can you tell the Gen1 and Gen2 apart just from their externals? All I've been able to find so far is that the Gen2 has a metal outer barrel.

Ty.

I am selling a Gen 2 MP7 also if you check out my account. 

There are currently 2 MP7's under the "Umarex" name, that being VFC and KWA. KWA MP7's you should avoid however they're not a very common sight anymore (most sellers now will often mention the OEM somewhere, if they don't then I'd be cautious), so there is the very high likelihood that its a VFC (most if not all UK retailers now stock the VFC Gen 2). Umarex is simply a licenser that allows companies to add the correct firearm trademarks to their RIF's- Licensers very rarely make their own products. Brands like KWA and VFC make guns under the Umarex name however its now predominantly the latter. 

The main tell of course is the barrel. The Gen 2 has a metal outer barrel as opposed to a plastic one found on the Gen 1. 

The Gen 2 also has a metal feed-ramp and a different hop-housing to accommodate it, different nozzle and a metal insert for the barrel. The rest is pretty much the same. 

You can convert a Gen 1 into a Gen 2 however you'd essentially need a near-entire internal re-haul so its really not worth it but Gen 2 internals are all readily available either from VFC themselves or aftermarket retailers. 

Edited by SerialNoodle