G&G Armament EMG Seekins Precision SBR8 - high failure rate.

BM900

Hi All,

Just bought (March 2024) a new G&G (above) with correct spec battery. Completely standard, no mods, never stripped. Tried to use it twice now, both time it fails.

First time it was dead, nothing working. Even though battery was analysed and was at 11.1V.

No jams, all mechanical parts functioning ok, it was just dead. I couldn't get it going.

Sent it back to seller, they said it was ok, and sent it back to me.

I got it, put a mag in, ran it through, seemed to be ok - it fired 1 mag. Charged it for later.

Next week, dead again!

Tried various things with the battery, found it was low, so tried to charge on the supplied quick charger, but that didn't work.

Spent another 50 quid on a balance charger, which sorted out the charge problem, so now back to a stable 11.1v.

Plugged it in, loaded up a mag, set to Semi, pulled the trigger - a load of rapid beeps from the mosfet.

Googled that, seems like the battery was down? But I took it out (its quite a tight fit on the Seekins, just FYI) checked it - 11.1v and stable!

Plugged it back in, now the mosfet emits just two beeps. Googled that and found - "A Double beep indicates an internal issue".

"An internal issue" - helpful... tried various things, but am not willing to tear it apart (its new - only shot 1 mag, never used in the field)

Now its unuseable again. I am doing more analysis on the battery on a tester and scope, but the battery is solid - no problems there.

So the question is - are these new G&G's just duds?, should I go to another manufacturer, or keep messing around with this (brand new, unmodified, unused in the field) gun?

Any thoughts would be appreciated!

TIA

Have you tried it on a different battery ? The exsting one, could possibly be losing power under load. G&G are usually pretty solid, but dud's can always happen. I'd try a different battery , if that still doesn't work then send it back again. 

1 hour ago, Pseudotectonic said:

btw at 11.1V it is not fully charged, it should be closer to 12.6V when full

That's a very good point, at 11.1 V when it's under load it could well be dropping low enough to trigger the LVC.

Gun looks to be one of these https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=8343dead8f63cfd8JmltdHM9MTcxMzA1MjgwMCZpZ3VpZD0zNTU5ZTUyYy04MDJiLTZlMzUtMjk3YS1mNzQ5ODFlMDZmNDUmaW5zaWQ9NTIxNQ&ptn=3&ver=2&hsh=3&fclid=3559e52c-802b-6e35-297a-f74981e06f45&psq=g%26g+sbr8&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cucGF0cm9sYmFzZS5jby51ay9nLWFuZC1nLWFybWFtZW50LWVtZy1zZWVraW5zLXByZWNpc2lvbi1zYnI4LXdpdGgtOS1yYWls&ntb=1

Dud battery or bad charger if it's a Lipo look likely.

1 hour ago, BM900 said:

Plugged it back in, now the mosfet emits just two beeps. Googled that and found - "A Double beep indicates an internal issue".

"An internal issue" - helpful... tried various things, but am not willing to tear it apart (its new - only shot 1 mag, never used in the field)

I've recently got a G&G GC16 and had just had a similar issue. I was given an 800mAh 11.1v 20c battery with it, which is very close to the recommended spec but put it in this morning, after having a fiddle with the stock, and got the two beeps. In this case I had pulled the battery wire and separated the 2 small spade connectors that go from the etu/mosfet into the rif. Reconnected and it fired once then just went dead. Swapped it for a Li Ion 7.4v 2500mAh 30c and its fine again.

Luke/Negative Airsoft said on one of his videos a while that the etu/mosfet is a pile of poo and should be replaced but it seems to be fine on 7.4s.

I just plugged in the 11.1v to check and it works fine!!!!! 

EDIT: fired a load of shots with the 7.4 and plugged the 11.1 back in and got nothing! Not even a beep! Got on the balance charger now.

Edited by DanBow
more info

Sounds like a battery problem but its shocking to me that an AEG would need so much power without a heavy recoil system. 

And for that price.... 😲

15 hours ago, EDcase said:

Sounds like a battery problem but its shocking to me that an AEG would need so much power without a heavy recoil system. 

And for that price.... 😲

11 hours ago, Sewdhull said:

Try using a 7.4v lipo. 

He still hasn't mentioned the Mah and discharge rating, so we really have no clue what kind of amps he even has to work with. If it's something like an 800 Mah 20C that's realistically more like 450 Mah 10C that's only 5A to work off. Most stock AEGs need about 15A.

edit

I've been through a fair lot of LiPos in the "1450 Mah 30C" range that turned out to be more like 800 Mah 10C when tested.

Voltage means nothing.

Edited by Leo Greer

On 14/04/2024 at 11:54, Nick G said:

Have you tried it on a different battery ? The exsting one, could possibly be losing power under load. G&G are usually pretty solid, but dud's can always happen. I'd try a different battery , if that still doesn't work then send it back again. 

Hi - thanks for the comments. Will have a look.

On 14/04/2024 at 11:58, Pseudotectonic said:

what gun?

what battery?

what charger?

btw at 11.1V it is not fully charged, it should be closer to 12.6V when full

Hi - thanks for the comments - the name of the gun is in the title of the post. Battery is a new Nuprol 3-stick nunchuck style battery from the vendor, as is the charger from Nuprol - new and one of the 'rapid' compact types of charger. OK, I'll balanace charge it again and see what it maxes out at. Thanks again.

8 hours ago, Leo Greer said:

He still hasn't mentioned the Mah and discharge rating, so we really have no clue what kind of amps he even has to work with. If it's something like an 800 Mah 20C that's realistically more like 450 Mah 10C that's only 5A to work off. Most stock AEGs need about 15A.

edit

I've been through a fair lot of LiPos in the "1450 Mah 30C" range that turned out to be more like 800 Mah 10C when tested.

Voltage means nothing.

Its a Nuprol 1450 mah, 3 stick, LiPo, 30C 43A Cont. 60C 87A burst.

17 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Nuprol... there's your problem 😜

Try a decent brand like KongPower, VapexTech, VP, Turnigy or even HobbyKing

Are those other brands that much better? If so, I'll get one - I just want to get the gun running.

If you got a good balance charger it may recover the nuprol battery enough to use.

Keep the other names in mind when buying any new batteries. (its always good to take a few batteries on a game day)

Check here:

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/batteries-chargers/batteries/lipo.html

https://www.vapextech.co.uk/batteries/airsoft-batteries/li-po-packs?product_list_order=price

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/batteries/airsoft.html

• Supporters

Obvious question - are you trying to fire it without a mag in? There's a switch in the magwell that works with the specific mags they use to stop on empty. If it's not pressed in it won't fire.

Another possibly obvious question - noting that the gun contains a mosfet, there may well be a drain on the battery when it is connected. Are you leaving the battery in it, and connected? If you have done that, even for a few days, it is possible that you have drained the lipo to a voltage that has caused damage to the battery - i.e. it won't really take charge any more.

When you buy a replacement battery, as per the suggestions above (i have found Turnigy batteries, purchased from Hobbyking good and super cheap), ensure that you never store the battery connected, and ideally store the battery at a  2/3rds  charge (a so called 'storage charge' if you aren't using it for a month or so,

On 15/04/2024 at 15:34, Lozart said:

Obvious question - are you trying to fire it without a mag in? There's a switch in the magwell that works with the specific mags they use to stop on empty. If it's not pressed in it won't fire.

No, I have the mag in. I did see that one too, thanks.

On 15/04/2024 at 15:55, The_Lord_Poncho said:

Another possibly obvious question - noting that the gun contains a mosfet, there may well be a drain on the battery when it is connected. Are you leaving the battery in it, and connected? If you have done that, even for a few days, it is possible that you have drained the lipo to a voltage that has caused damage to the battery - i.e. it won't really take charge any more.

When you buy a replacement battery, as per the suggestions above (i have found Turnigy batteries, purchased from Hobbyking good and super cheap), ensure that you never store the battery connected, and ideally store the battery at a  2/3rds  charge (a so called 'storage charge' if you aren't using it for a month or so,

I can't see that there is a substantial drain, as putting the battery on the scope afterwards tells me its not gone down at all hardly.

I disconnect the battery from the gun.

I also discharged the battery using the discharge mode on the intelligent charger and re-charged, but still same problem.

Yes, I got a Vapextech one on the way now. More money, but just want to get it running.

Thanks for the suggestions - most appreciated, this is a useful forum!

Ordered a VapexTech battery now. I did recycle the Nuprol battery down to about 5V and then re-charge. It went all the way to 12.60V no errors on the charger, but the error is still evident.

No, with the full charged battery, if I pull the trigger once - I get two beeps. If I pull the trigger twice rapidly - I get about 15 rapid beeps.

Weird! here's hoping the new battery resolves this.

Thanks to all of you offering help - I'm new to this, so this forum is really helpful.

• Supporters
52 minutes ago, BM900 said:

No, with the full charged battery, if I pull the trigger once - I get two beeps. If I pull the trigger twice rapidly - I get about 15 rapid beeps.

Weird! here's hoping the new battery resolves this.

Thanks to all of you offering help - I'm new to this, so this forum is really helpful.

I have the G&G SR25 E2 APC, I only ever had that beeping when I tried to run it on a 7.4v LiPo. Swapped to an 11.1v and it stopped (I've since swapped out the ETU for the Perun ETU++ and that lets me use 7.4v no problem. Fingers crossed on the new battery!