Spare parts for rare guns

So recently I grabbed a tokyo marui type 89 and I had seen lots of videos of the nozzle mangling itself so I designed and 3d printed a copy of the tm part. It works just as well as the original and I can replace it indefinitely. This isn't the fist time I've done something like this and im even in the process of designing my own nozzles and fire control mechanisms from the ground up. 

So the question is if I offered a service of copying parts in rare guns and making spares or replacements would anyone be interested in that sort of thing? Obviously 3d printing has its limitations but theres no reason that when I have a printed part done the file cant be handed over to a cnc machining company or such particularly for trigger mechanism components. 

Edited by HuttArmouries

Parts for rare guns will always be wanted.👍

I had been in contact with Sam at Kingdom of Airsoft regarding the TM Uzi I had 

He’d mentioned that he was able to get some parts 3D printed in metal, but nobody wanted to make trigger parts because of the laws.

I dunno, he didn’t elaborate, but investigate before you find yourself with 20yrs in the clink!

As they say, ignorance of the law isn’t a defence 😂 

2 hours ago, Enid_Puceflange said:

Parts for rare guns will always be wanted.👍

I had been in contact with Sam at Kingdom of Airsoft regarding the TM Uzi I had 

He’d mentioned that he was able to get some parts 3D printed in metal, but nobody wanted to make trigger parts because of the laws.

I dunno, he didn’t elaborate, but investigate before you find yourself with 20yrs in the clink!

As they say, ignorance of the law isn’t a defence 😂 

Anything to do with firing mechanism and or pressure baring parts in a real firearm is restricted so i could see making triggers could get you in hot water if the police were looking to boost arrest statistics.  

Edited by BigStew

I think trigger parts for toys that cannot be converted to fire live ammo would be exempt.  (Airsoft RIFs must already have been proven not to be convertible otherwise they would be banned)

UK shops sell trigger parts and other stuff for airsoft RIFs without any issue so I think you'd be OK.

The question is: Is there enough demand?  Depends how much it costs to make them...

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters
7 hours ago, EDcase said:

I think trigger parts for toys that cannot be converted to fire live ammo would be exempt. 

I think you'd be surprised.

12 hours ago, HuttArmouries said:

So recently I grabbed a tokyo marui type 89 and I had seen lots of videos of the nozzle mangling itself so I designed and 3d printed a copy of the tm part. It works just as well as the original and I can replace it indefinitely. This isn't the fist time I've done something like this and im even in the process of designing my own nozzles and fire control mechanisms from the ground up. 

So the question is if I offered a service of copying parts in rare guns and making spares or replacements would anyone be interested in that sort of thing? Obviously 3d printing has its limitations but theres no reason that when I have a printed part done the file cant be handed over to a cnc machining company or such particularly for trigger mechanism components. 

Doesn't even need to be rare guns. M14 parts are few and far between!

As far as I know having held a firearms license for quite a few years only pressure bearing components of a gun are controlled so bolt, barrel, receiver. Triggers and fire control mechanisms are not controlled in the uk and that isnt really relevant as making parts for toys is not making parts for guns

• 1 month later...
On 29/02/2024 at 21:36, HuttArmouries said:

I'm thinking of getting a Type 89 as well but am really off put by the nozzle issue and lack of replacement. Are you still able to make the 3D printed nozzles and if so, would it be possible to purchase a few from you? Thanks. 

2 minutes ago, m1sterS said:

I'm thinking of getting a Type 89 as well but am really off put by the nozzle issue and lack of replacement. Are you still able to make the 3D printed nozzles and if so, would it be possible to purchase a few from you? Thanks. 

I have been making and testing type89 nozzles however using normal 3d printing they only last 800 shots or so. they do function perfectly during that however so im going to get a few multijet fusion printed. Problem is most of those places have a £40 miniumum order so im waiting until ive got some bits I need done for the hk21 machinegun project so I can order it all at once

I'd be happy to put down a few orders with you if it helps to get over the £40 minimum spend. Do you experience any other issue with Type 89 other than the nozzle? Is the original nozzle still holding up?

9 minutes ago, m1sterS said:

I'd be happy to put down a few orders with you if it helps to get over the £40 minimum spend. Do you experience any other issue with Type 89 other than the nozzle? Is the original nozzle still holding up?

I was aware of the issues with the nozzles when I got mine so the first thing I did was take out the original and put it to one side to use for measurements. Ive run maybe 5000 rounds through it so far on my various prototypes and all of them break on the feeding tab. Other than that no issues apart from getting a hang of the selector but thats a me issue. 

Edited by HuttArmouries

2 minutes ago, HuttArmouries said:

I was aware of the issues with the nozzles when I got mine so the first thing I did was take out the original and put it to one side to use for measurements. Ive run maybe 5000 rounds through it so far on my various prototypes and all of them break on the feeding tab. Other than that no issues apart from getting a hang of the selector but thats a me issue. 

Thanks, very helpful to know. 

2 minutes ago, HuttArmouries said:

Ill pop you over a message. Im working on some moterbike bits that need printing so when those are sorted ill be doing the order

Cool, thanks. 

Btw (maybe you have seen this already) I found a post on Reddit where the solution mentioned by this guy kind of makes sense in my head. But I know the type 89 mag housing is also notoriously tight compared to MWS. 

"Hi I know this post was like a month ago and you might have already fixed this but I had the exact same issue and fixed it myself. I replaced nozzles 2 times at this point, and replacing it didn’t fix the problem. Last time a nozzle broke after I shot like 30 rounds. As far as I know, this problem happens when a feeding lip is slightly tilted downward in the magazine housing. This is caused by a worn off trigger guard thingie that is working as a guide for the back side of magazine, in my case at least. I superglued a thin plastic sheet in the back side of the magazine housing and this problem is no more."

13 minutes ago, m1sterS said:

Cool, thanks. 

Btw (maybe you have seen this already) I found a post on Reddit where the solution mentioned by this guy kind of makes sense in my head. But I know the type 89 mag housing is also notoriously tight compared to MWS. 

"Hi I know this post was like a month ago and you might have already fixed this but I had the exact same issue and fixed it myself. I replaced nozzles 2 times at this point, and replacing it didn’t fix the problem. Last time a nozzle broke after I shot like 30 rounds. As far as I know, this problem happens when a feeding lip is slightly tilted downward in the magazine housing. This is caused by a worn off trigger guard thingie that is working as a guide for the back side of magazine, in my case at least. I superglued a thin plastic sheet in the back side of the magazine housing and this problem is no more."

Not had that particular issue but I got mine off a collector so it was basically untouched when I got it