Footwear advice needed

Grayz1980

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

18 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

As a proud Scot I stick my feet in poly bags before I put my boots on. :)

I used to as a Fizzy riding kid.  Then my Dad bought me some Derry boots.  After the first night in a well heated pub, I went back to the bloody bags!

20 hours ago, Sewdhull said:

Ironically membranes like this only work when they are dry, they get wet and you soak yourself from the inside since they become plastic bags. Hence the dwr on such things.

I gave up long ago trying to keep feet dry, one or two pairs or wool socks soak up a fair bit of moisture and you can change them out at lunch.

If you are going to get your feet a little damp it won't matter either way and if your going through puddles, or standing in water, leather or the membranes will result in the same result, wet feet.

Some feet are sweatier than others of ofcourse so some might get on with membranes better.

I change my socks out, I find it more comfortable that way.

I have the sealskin gloves too, very nice gloves but mine are too short to keep the water out.

Yes Gore-Tex (or the other brand names) should say ‘Waterproof OR breathable’ and not ‘Waterproof AND breathable’. Yes they are waterproof and yes they are breathable  but not both at the same time. They only breath when the pores are not blocked on the other side by the larger water molecules.

Edited by ParHunter

• Supporters

Seal-Skinz work, but so do army surplus waterproof socks / liners from eBay.  And they come with a name and number pre-written inside, and the faint aroma of yeast and regret.

2 hours ago, Rogerborg said:

army surplus waterproof socks / liners

These are definitely worth it. I've got a pair and they've always done a good job keeping my feet dry.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.