My Attachments - image storage space

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Being a Grand Master (oh yes, bow before me you mere mortals) with more than 1,500 posts... I'm bumping up against the limit of my attachment storage space.   

image.png.fe35c9db8cb56df64e3b964593bd45de.png

Is there anyway you can give us a bit of breathing space beyond the 100MB once we get past, say 1000 posts?   I'm now down to copy-and-pasting 1.5MB images into Paint.Net and resizing as low quality jpeg's just to free up a couple of megabytes.  S'alright, I'm not a busy man these days, I can do that.  But for some I'm sure the temptation would be just to delete a bunch of images, which rather spoils the integrity of old threads.

Same boat here - but I guess MBs = ££s and there has to be a cutoff somewhere. Most users registered on here will never get above a couple hundred posts so for 99% it'll be a non-issue.

But I wouldn't mind borrowing some of the capacity from the 1-post wonders and spam accounts...😜

18 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

Can't you delete some stuff?

Thanks Captain Obvious.....😉

Problem is - most of my stuff is images to help with specific technical problems - or gun reviews etc.

Once you delete those images, the posts lose their context and the next person that needs the same help won't be able to refer to those posts.

100mb creeps up very quickly - especially when you post a lot on here, even when you resize to try and keep the filesizes down.

I periodically go through all my attachments, and I get a few MB back - so it's just about manageable for me - just annoying.

19 hours ago, gavinkempsell said:

Can't you delete some stuff?

On 30/10/2023 at 11:57, RostokMcSpoons said:

But for some I'm sure the temptation would be just to delete a bunch of images, which rather spoils the integrity of old threads.

Covered that already ;)

I do have a more considered approach to my images, thanks to the existing limit, so now I always resize and save-as jpeg with a lower quality setting, so my images are now rarely more than 200k in size.  Usually much less.   If I'd known to do that from the start, then 100MB would have been ample.   But as it is, I have to edit pics... 

Correction.jpg.74597314aea4b254546e292295ebc046.jpg

Woulds be easier if they could be linked to directly stored elsewhere like Google Photos or Photobucket etc.  

I couldn't make it work last time I tried.  Sure there must be a way....

ADCreHfzWRaUNV_VJ7yUol2Mvw2uMH5O2lRo0M4s

Can you see it?

Or how about this one?

ADCreHdbcrE9mFvPTMKF29FxQxYE-wsG2XJ-li62

37 minutes ago, Dan Robinson said:

Woulds be easier if they could be linked to directly stored elsewhere like Google Photos or Photobucket etc.  

I couldn't make it work last time I tried.  Sure there must be a way....

ADCreHfzWRaUNV_VJ7yUol2Mvw2uMH5O2lRo0M4s

Can you see it?

Or how about this one?

ADCreHdbcrE9mFvPTMKF29FxQxYE-wsG2XJ-li62

Those two work

I’m in two minds about embedding or linking

Links are a good habit to support a forum

Back in the day I hosted team signature block images, which had the ‘benefit’ of managing consistency, and allowed for event promotion (subject to advertising rules) both for our own events and also when playing a role in another teams/organisers event 

My moderator head says to link from a hosting site, this of course saves resources and costs for the site owners - and that’s how I used to do things - across a few hosting sites to keep it free and also as part of my organising.

Over time those sites have gone onto different pricing, so I went through a review ensuring I didn’t lose anything that I hadn’t archived, and fixed a few shares to maintain, but a number of forums now have dead links

Embeds ‘fix’ my problem of organising links, but contributes to forum costs.

I aim to scale appropriately, and some of my older pictures are ‘banked’ to give me some flexibility to scale down and retrieve capacity in the future - or I could decide that protecting the ‘integrity’ of a thread in the future can be served by lesser quality as opposed to a good balance between quality & size for a current thread

Interesting that the first picture didn't show up now I'm on a different device.  It was one I  copied the address straight from my photo stream rather than the album.

Open the image full screen in Google photos, right click,  the select copy "image address" rather than "copy image"

Edited by Dan Robinson

3 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Or how about this one?

Yeah I can see this one 👍

But not the first.

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

1 hour ago, Dan Robinson said:

Interesting that the first picture didn't show up now I'm on a different device.  It was one I  copied the address straight from my photo stream rather than the album.

Open the image full screen in Google photos, right click,  the select copy "image address" rather than "copy image"

Curious ……..

I’m on the same device (iPhone) and the first image has now disappeared as below:

IMG_3186.png.fb44134e85787b954600b0bc146842fd.png

It may be an issue with the hosting rather than the way you have embedded it, as originally I saw both perfectly well

…….

In theory, copying a link from your photostream could be the issue - but it’s not due to that being personal to you as I could see the image

44 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

In theory, copying a link from your photostream could be the issue - but it’s not due to that being personal to you as I could see the image

All I can think of is that the album is specifically set to allow links to be viewable and the main photo stream doesn't have that option.

Shame the technique can't be transferred to mobile.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.