ICS L85 trigger not returning (broken spring housing on trigger mechanism).

Dan Robinson

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Particularly in semi, where it does it every time now, but increasingly in full auto.

When you pull the trigger, in semi, it fires once.   Then it's like a magnetic holding it back against the trigger housing.   Push it forward manually and it will fire again, with the same result.

In full auto it's less pronounced.  

If you disconnect the battery,  the trigger action is perfectly normal.  Is it the gearbox overspinning?   I have tried a lower voltage battery,  and putting the spring on its middle setting,  but no difference.

The only thing that's been adjusted was the motor height.

Tah in advance !

Edited by Dan Robinson

On the ICS, this is usually due to a failure of the trigger switch unit; you probably need a new switch unit.  The best thing to do would be to open it up and have a look at the switch unit.

Edited by Colin Allen

I couldn't see anything a miss with that, but as someone said in another thread, it's a bit of a Rube Goldberg setup, so I might have missed something. 

Do you know what goes on it?  It is pretty chunky.  This one is pretty new too. 

But then, the follow on question.... Is there an aftermarket option with mosfet? 

Edited by Dan Robinson

10 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Is there an aftermarket option with mosfet? 

Nope. The entire switch setup has actually been patented by ICS.

I actually have one on my desk in front of me - belongs to my neighbour after I replaced the one in his L85. I still scratch my head at the mechanics of it - some very clever people at ICS - just wish they used materials other than ABS and potmetal to put it together.

If you need me to pull it apart for pictures, let me know.

10 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I actually have one on my desk in front of me - belongs to my neighbour after I replaced the one in his L85. I still scratch my head at the mechanics of it - some very clever people at ICS - just wish they used materials other than ABS and potmetal to put it together.

If you need me to pull it apart for pictures, let me know.

Firesupport have the mechanism for £28, which I think is fairly reasonable cost wise.   I'm assuming the hardest part is reconnecting the selector rod?

12 hours ago, Colin Allen said:

The first comment by Samtripp covers what usually happens

Yeah,  I might have been a little heavy handed with it that morning. 

Took it out and can't see anything broken... 

Compress_20230722_210545_5022.thumb.jpg.2705e31ed27ace084da61ea7af9ceb32.jpg

Compress_20230722_210544_4866.thumb.jpg.dcc8c0574c9e035ccdd7de67b0eb3566.jpg

But then, I don't truly know what I looking for. 

I did remove some random fluff that I was hoping was blocking the mechanism, but no such luck. 

Was thinking of Swapping out the boy's mechanism and seeing if the fault followed,  but I haven't 9tbe energy.  Early start in the morning. 😰

Edited by Dan Robinson

There definitely is something broken, and it’ll be a little tab on the bottom of the box at the front by the trigger.  This exact thing happened to mine, but I was fortunate enough to see the bit of plastic fall out when I got frustrated and took it all apart.

I bought a new switch assembly and did a straight swap and all was solved.

IMG_3124.jpeg

Edited by Duff Beer
Added photo for clarity

7 hours ago, Duff Beer said:

There definitely is something broken, and it’ll be a little tab on the bottom of the box at the front by the trigger.  This exact thing happened to mine, but I was fortunate enough to see the bit of plastic fall out when I got frustrated and took it all apart.

I bought a new switch assembly and did a straight swap and all was solved.

IMG_3124.jpeg

You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. 

If you are not a Sir, please insert your own choices of pleasantry and gratitude. 👍😀

The system they use is actually very clever. It's actually a mechanical mosfet as it's very effective at protecting trigger contacts. 

Obviously it's not really needed these days with the prevalence of smart mosfets. But still!

11 hours ago, Asomodai said:

The system they use is actually very clever. It's actually a mechanical mosfet as it's very effective at protecting trigger contacts. 

Obviously it's not really needed these days with the prevalence of smart mosfets. But still!

Looking at the assembly it is pretty impressive in terms of what they have put in there and how it works - just a shame that some of that plastic is so vulnerable.  

On 22/07/2023 at 09:47, Speedbird_666 said:

On top of that, I guess, unlike cars, there is nowhere near enough numbers involved to make it worth the while of someone designing an alternative mechanism or making a pattern option.

Wonder what it would take to fabricobble something together using the existing trigger and spring and selector lever with something like a Perun?

Well, new unit arrived and fitted - comparing the two it all makes sense now.  Apart from me not really knowing how that spring does its job, but never mind.

What I'm also now thinking, if I can undo the 5 screws on one side, could that plastic wall be reconstructed?  Or will all manner of springs and wizardry come flying out?

On 22/07/2023 at 09:47, Speedbird_666 said:

If you need me to pull it apart for pictures,

If that would be OK, purely from the flying component stand point?  Then we would have a spare unit on hand.

Looking at it a bit more, there is sod all material there forming the tunnel for the slider and holding that spring back. I'm wondering, if you can't remove the side panel, if I can just put the slider back in without the spring, build up some material in a way that the slider can still slide, then get the spring back in.

Any suggestions on the best thing to use to build up the missing piece of plastic?

Edited by Dan Robinson

2 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

Well, new unit arrived and fitted - comparing hte two it all makes sense now.  Apart form me not really knowing how that spring does its job, but never mind.

What I'm also now thinking, if I can undo the 5 screws on one side, could that plastic wall be reconstructed?  Or will all manner of springs and wizardry come flying out?

If that would be OK, purely from the flying component stand point?  Then we would have a spare unit on hand.

I’ve got my spare too, as I had similar thoughts.  I guess it is possible with a bit of aluminium and some self tapping screws or tiny bolts.  Hmmmmmm…..

Right  -taking that side plate off is both easy and undramatic and allows easy access to that bit that needs rebuilding.

Is this something JB Weld can handle?  Or is the plastic not likely to bond/take the strain of the spring?

Did you read the comments on the youtube vid that Colin posted?
There seems to be a couple of solutions to the issue.

Must admit I never paid much attention you were having coz you put L82 in the title, My L86A2 failed & was fixed in seconds by my local tech simply because one of the contacts hadn't sprung back in place after I refitted the lower. (not related to your issue but worth knowing as it seems to be a common issue too).

• Dan Robinson changed the title to ICS L85 trigger not returning
5 minutes ago, gavinkempsell said:

Did you read the comments on the youtube vid that Colin posted?
There seems to be a couple of solutions to the issue.

Must admit I never paid much attention you were having coz you put L82 in the title, My L86A2 failed & was fixed in seconds by my local tech simply because one of the contacts hadn't sprung back in place after I refitted the lower. (not related to your issue but worth knowing as it seems to be a common issue too).

I read a few... But will have another read in a bit as I've forgotten them... My YouTube is paused in the middle of the Taylor Schabusines trial (that is some freaky shit). 

Have edited the thread title too. 👍

11 hours ago, Dan Robinson said:

My YouTube is paused in the middle of the Taylor Schabusines trial

Damn it, something else to watch now.

Whelp.... JB weld has arrived, a nice lump has been applied to the affected area.  Little mi I dremel is coming tomorrow for me to sand it into shape l.  I'll then see about reinforcing the area once the side panel has been refixed. 

Compress_20230731_233113_3529.thumb.jpg.1e9d4a227e25a0d510ab59e3dffc5541.jpg

• Dan Robinson changed the title to ICS L85 trigger not returning (broken spring housing on trigger mechanism).

Excellent!  Keep us informed on how it goes,

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.