ETU to fit an AEG

AirSniper

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I just bought a cheap Specna Arms SA-F01 for when we have a guest with us and as a backup for when one of our G&G GC16's is in for repair.

Need a programmable ETU like the Perun ETU++ so I can set the rifle up as single shot only so it prevents full auto on semi only game sites.

Any suggestions?

45 minutes ago, AirSniper said:

[snip]

Any suggestions?

Perun Hybrid.

If you want cheaper - you will probably be looking at a T238 off AliExpress - but reliability is somewhat questionable on those (depending on the model version). 

Gate Aster is a similar-priced option to the Perun, but IIRC needs an additional sticker in the gearbox shell for the trigger to work. 

• Supporters
3 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Gate Aster is a similar-priced option to the Perun, but IIRC needs an additional sticker in the gearbox shell for the trigger to work. 

Not if you get the SE kit that comes with the Quantum trigger.

On 13/07/2023 at 11:48, Speedbird_666 said:

Perun Hybrid.

If you want cheaper - you will probably be looking at a T238 off AliExpress - but reliability is somewhat questionable on those (depending on the model version). 

You mean this? https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/perun-mosfet-v2-hybrid-front-wired?gclid=CjwKCAjwh8mlBhB_EiwAsztdBFfvw5SY6nRtzEr7-_OESX235AuxRwZ9XKZiu4rLUaVYw2Dh0D3T8BoCmWUQAvD_BwE

Which looks like a chore to install, I have Perun ETU++ on the G&G's which were very simple to replace the existing mosfet boards.

3 hours ago, AirSniper said:

You mean this? https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/perun-mosfet-v2-hybrid-front-wired?gclid=CjwKCAjwh8mlBhB_EiwAsztdBFfvw5SY6nRtzEr7-_OESX235AuxRwZ9XKZiu4rLUaVYw2Dh0D3T8BoCmWUQAvD_BwE

Which looks like a chore to install, I have Perun ETU++ on the G&G's which were very simple to replace the existing mosfet boards.

It isn't particularly difficult to install.  What you have in the G&Gs is irrelevant unless you want to try to install a G&G ETU and Perun ETU++ in the SA, which may or may not work and would be a very expensive approach.

Yeh - but the Specna Flex does not have the requisite trigger unit or wiring to plug in a Perun ETU++.

G&G ETU Trigger unit:

image.png.ec14bd0bf46748c49aaed1ecc3c73a29.png

Specna Flex Trigger Switch:

image.png.9be09f9466cb04f92a9578822ecf35cb.png

So if you want the function of the ETU++, you will need to open the gearbox and replace the traditional trigger shuttle assembly - and if you are doing that you may as well skip straight to the Perun Hybrid as is a fully optical/magnet based system that doesn't wear out like the switches on the G&G trigger units can.

If you are only interested in semi-locking the gun, you can do that mechanically via modification to the selector plate, or adding a set screw to the side of the reciever to prevent the selector switch rotation to the full-auto position. But if the gun locks up for any reason - it's unlikely to be unlocked in-game without being able to select full-auto.

I have had success with the Chilun V2.0; it is a switch based ETU so you take your chances on its longevity.  It does require minor modifications to most gearboxes.

Thanks, I will look into the suggestions.

All I need is a tutorial on stripping it down to install a better ETU.

2 hours ago, AirSniper said:

Thanks, I will look into the suggestions.

All I need is a tutorial on stripping it down to install a better ETU.

YouTube!

On 17/07/2023 at 12:52, Colin Allen said:

YouTube!

Yes, however, you see the thumbnail, the tag line, then the intro, then they waffle about the piece and what they are going to fit, shoe the ETU and then next shot the whole thing is stripped down with no "How to" get into the rifle without doing damage or having the gearbox fly apart. 

Then the rverse, the ETU is magically installed and then the gearbox is rebuilt like magic and then the unit is back together with a demo of it in action...

When I specifically search for "Fit ETU to SA-F01" this is what I get, reviews of specific videos on the bigger brother the F02 and F03...

I'm thinking more along the lines of handing it over to a gun tech I know to fit the item.

• Supporters
26 minutes ago, AirSniper said:

Yes, however, you see the thumbnail, the tag line, then the intro, then they waffle about the piece and what they are going to fit, shoe the ETU and then next shot the whole thing is stripped down with no "How to" get into the rifle without doing damage or having the gearbox fly apart. 

Then the rverse, the ETU is magically installed and then the gearbox is rebuilt like magic and then the unit is back together with a demo of it in action...

When I specifically search for "Fit ETU to SA-F01" this is what I get, reviews of specific videos on the bigger brother the F02 and F03...

I'm thinking more along the lines of handing it over to a gun tech I know to fit the item.

Better to search for "ETU fitting to V2 gearbox" or similar. It's a pretty basic gearbox. Personally I don't really see the point of fitting a programmable mosfet to such a cheap gun that will only be used as a loaner, I'm sure most people can learn not to fire in full auto if they're told how to not do that.

19 minutes ago, AirSniper said:

The Specna Flex shares the same gearbox as the CORE line - which in turn is a very generic bog standard V2 gearbox.

Perun have their own instruction video to cover it.

Bear in mind you might end up paying a tech more than the gun's worth to have the work done (ETU + hourly tech charge).

If you are desperate for and ETU-equipped gun, and cannot do the work yourself, you might be better off selling the Flex and buying a gun with an ETU equipped out of the box - like a Double Eagle M9xx series.

7 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

buying a gun with an ETU equipped out of the box - like a Double Eagle M9xx series.

Pretty much what I did.... Left my Specna with it's own mosfet, and got the DE as a spare/loaner purely because it had an ETU and was cheap. Resisting the urge to do anything to it as it works fine, although the ROF is a little lacking. 

On 18/07/2023 at 15:23, Speedbird_666 said:

The Specna Flex shares the same gearbox as the CORE line - which in turn is a very generic bog standard V2 gearbox.

Perun have their own instruction video to cover it.

Bear in mind you might end up paying a tech more than the gun's worth to have the work done (ETU + hourly tech charge).

If you are desperate for and ETU-equipped gun, and cannot do the work yourself, you might be better off selling the Flex and buying a gun with an ETU equipped out of the box - like a Double Eagle M9xx series.

Thanks for that.

I bought a cheap rifle for guests that come with me and my lad to use as I was getting fed up of the G&G's getting dinged up. I would like an aftermarket ETU in there that ensures that its single shot only as most sites operate single shot only because these rifles (any make really) can easily end up on full auto during game play plus the PERUN's are very energy efficient and in the G&G's we went from two batteries per session to one battery per session.

That's mostly because the G&G ETUs have problems that the Perun fixes. In most cases, a Perun doesn't really increase your efficiency by any quantifiable amount, and can actually be less efficient in some cases, since the unit "eats" some of your energy. This is a very low draw that only becomes noticeable in very high speed builds, but it's enough to matter.

I would suggest doing something very cheap, DIY, and simple. You could literally just put a screw into the body so the selector can't physically be turned to auto. Or glue something on in place of a screw. Any number of items work here, while being infinitely cheaper and easier than installing a Perun.

6 hours ago, Leo Greer said:

That's mostly because the G&G ETUs have problems that the Perun fixes. In most cases, a Perun doesn't really increase your efficiency by any quantifiable amount, and can actually be less efficient in some cases, since the unit "eats" some of your energy. This is a very low draw that only becomes noticeable in very high speed builds, but it's enough to matter.

I would suggest doing something very cheap, DIY, and simple. You could literally just put a screw into the body so the selector can't physically be turned to auto. Or glue something on in place of a screw. Any number of items work here, while being infinitely cheaper and easier than installing a Perun.

Great idea, however I don't want to ruin the case because at some point I will likely want to sell the thing, even if its for £25 after a year of use, and selling something with a screw sticking out the case doesn't look good. I will look at possibly an internal mod based off your suggestion.

It got me wondering if all it needs is a solder job to stop full auto and wire up single shot only option...

Great idea, however I don't want to ruin the case because at some point I will likely want to sell the thing, even if its for £25 after a year of use, and selling something with a screw sticking out the case doesn't look good. I will look at possibly an internal mod based off your suggestion.

It got me wondering if all it needs is a solder job to stop full auto and wire up single shot only option...

Or you can just modify the selector plate so the switch doesn't push it backwards into auto.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.