RRR is grrreat

Rogerborg

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

On Netflix, as almost recommended by The Critical Drinker, and damn, dear viewer, he wasn't wrong.  I've linked his review below which covers it well - I'd recommend it as a listen (until you're convinced either way) without necessarily watching as it spoilers some of the plot and action.  Or if you fancy a deeper dive into film nerdery, here's an analysis of the top-tier characterisation, choreography and cinematography in just one key scene.

I'd echo and emphasise that there's a lot to dislike and be baffled about here if you're expecting a Western cinematic experience. But if you bring zero cynicism, some patience, and quite a few beers, you'll find a joyously epic bromance between two absolutely heroic chads.  Taking on a thousand extras, wrestling tigers, John Wick style scenes... on piggyback; heck, even the obligatory musical dance number is an upbeat dance fight that's got more impact and heart than the majority of what Hollywood is churning out.

Love it, or WTF? it, this isn't a film that you'll quickly forget.

If you like Bollywood flicks, have you seen the original magnum opus?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnBbjc5hmho

This is silly fun too:

It's on my list of films to watch. I love Indian action films and the YRF spy universe films are some of my favourites, particularly WAR and Tiger Zinda Hai (sequel of Ek Tha Tiger, plus Tiger 3 is coming out this year in India).

Unlike Hollywood and most western films (just look at the absolute drivel they churn out with all the modern comic book movies), they aren't afraid to have a bit of fun with their films in India.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Impulse said:

they aren't afraid to have a bit of fun with their films in India

That's what struck me about RRR - it's deliberately, joyously and unapologetically overblown.

I've dipped into Bollywood (and now Tollywood, I suppose) a bit over the years since C4 started running them late at night.  There's a lot to like, if you can reconcile the curious blend of telling things via the handholding of straightforward dialogue and purely expositional song lyrics, alongside some stylish and effective showing via action sequences (or dance numbers).

As fapped over in the inline-linked review above, Rama Raju's introduction in RRR is an astonishingly effective piece of cinema, especially as it doesn't give him a single line of dialogue.  Although I'd recommend watching the film before any detailed breakdowns of it, as you'll get the visceral satisfaction of the experience, then the "oh, I seee" of understanding why it's so compelling.  None of it was accidental, Rajamouli really knows his craft.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.