Import of real steel parts, particularly Zenitco

Aiden Chen

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi, planning to order some Zenitco parts from 39bullets as they now ship from Georgia and Kazakhstan to avoid the sanctions on goods sent directly from Russia.

Things going to order include handguards, stocks, grips and flashlight+laser (Klesch-2PS, not too confident with this one though). Don't want to do this but 5KU and LCT parts really suck

What are the chances they pass through UK customs legally? Any firearms license needed?

Edited by Aiden Chen

You can legally import and own any part that isn’t pressure bearing.

So you can’t have barrels, chambers, bolts, barrel mounts, most receivers etc

46 minutes ago, rocketdogbert said:

You can legally import and own any part that isn’t pressure bearing.

So you can’t have barrels, chambers, bolts, barrel mounts, most receivers etc

So muzzle devices are illegal too as they bear pressure?

8 minutes ago, Aiden Chen said:

So muzzle devices are illegal too as they bear pressure?

Depends what muzzle device. Flash hider you can’t have, muzzle break you can, moderator you can’t.

3 hours ago, Aiden Chen said:

Hi, planning to order some Zenitco parts from 39bullets as they now ship from Georgia and Kazakhstan to avoid the sanctions on goods sent directly from Russia.

Things going to order include handguards, stocks, grips and flashlight+laser (Klesch-2PS, not too confident with this one though). Don't want to do this but 5KU and LCT parts really suck

What are the chances they pass through UK customs legally? Any firearms license needed?

As others have said, parts that would be treated as firearms are generally pressure bearing items. 
There are also international controls on specific types of military accessories, but anything gun related could generate additional customs interest irrespective of whether or not the parts are legal

There is the other matter of sanctions busting.

You’ve stated that you are aware that the Russian retailer is dispatching via other countries to bypass international sanctions on Russia 

Its on your conscience regarding that, but it does raise another potential flag at customs 

Importing can be pretty tricky.  It’s totally ‘buyer beware’ as at any point items could be seized and destroyed or held pending import charges & fees.

Not only do you have the initial item cost plus international postage, lots of potential time delays, and the potential of anyone challenging the contents, but import fees 

If you just pay for the item and the postage then the package might just pass through, or it will sit awaiting processing while you are sent an import VAT bill of 20% of the value (which may be the invoice value or may be reassessed at customs) and a fee by the carrier to process it 

There is the potential that a foreign retailer registers with HMRC and charges you UK VAT at the point of sale - in which case they document it on the label and pay HMRC for you

Think about what the chances of that from a Russian company that is evading  international sanctions ?

33 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

As others have said, parts that would be treated as firearms are generally pressure bearing items. 
There are also international controls on specific types of military accessories, but anything gun related could generate additional customs interest irrespective of whether or not the parts are legal

There is the other matter of sanctions busting.

You’ve stated that you are aware that the Russian retailer is dispatching via other countries to bypass international sanctions on Russia 

Its on your conscience regarding that, but it does raise another potential flag at customs 

Importing can be pretty tricky.  It’s totally ‘buyer beware’ as at any point items could be seized and destroyed or held pending import charges & fees.

Not only do you have the initial item cost plus international postage, lots of potential time delays, and the potential of anyone challenging the contents, but import fees 

If you just pay for the item and the postage then the package might just pass through, or it will sit awaiting processing while you are sent an import VAT bill of 20% of the value (which may be the invoice value or may be reassessed at customs) and a fee by the carrier to process it 

There is the potential that a foreign retailer registers with HMRC and charges you UK VAT at the point of sale - in which case they document it on the label and pay HMRC for you

Think about what the chances of that from a Russian company that is evading  international sanctions ?

I'm abs fine with 20% of values being charged as that's the obligation thing to pay for import charges VAT and I have done that multiple times when importing RIFs from Asia. What I'm really worried about is whether customs/BF will seize and destroy them even they are not pressure bearing (stock, handguard, grips and flashlight)

Maybe another choice will be to wait for the situations to cool down and order from them then but I doubt if this will happen in the near future

54 minutes ago, SBoardley said:

As @Tommikkasaid, there is probably a moral question here too? Are you knowingly attempting circumventing of sanctions just to scratch an itch?

I don't want politics here and I am completely neutral on the situations going on. I have bought quite a few gears and trophies captured from Ukraine, while I've also placed orders from Russian shops like Grey and Kula. 

But you are making the point, not the best choice to buy from them now so I'll most probably pass it

Everythings grey, yes but no but yes but no.

I'd not see the difference in that import than an aliexpress parts import.

Again aslong as they are legal parts to own e.g mags, furniture, it's fine. (Supressors have to be dummy)

I've not had customs issues or courier delivery issues, only courier issues when exporting - they are a fussy bunch.

Sending larger packs for a while then suddenly oops DPD actually scanned the box - had to drive half the country to collect.

imo its a gamble you'd win 80% of the time but you do you and do not use this as advice because its bad advice based on luck.

You could contact someone who deals in this stuff, but if you're not a customer I don't know how much time he'd give you.

He's closed till next month or longer (heading to ukraine), his websites formatting has broken a bit.

But ive even seen him sell real 9x39 VSS mags which are damn rare.

https://www.cold-war-collectables.co.uk/parts-department/soviet-weapons-parts/

Deals in real steel deacs etc. - super jelous of his real AN-94, Bizon .etc

https://www.facebook.com/ColdWarCollectables2/

It's also a shame Rusmilitary do not have Zenitco for offer as they are Russian, importing and selling Russian firearms & Accessories.

(though I was unable to purchase something from them out of stock due to the sanctions)

http://www.rusmilitary.com/

They even have a full sanction breakdown with loophole statement at the end just food for thought reading not that it matters imo (I'll avoid politics)

http://www.rusmilitary.com/html/uk_sanctions.htm

Edited by Mondai
New info

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.