Can I get my cousin a RIF?

Potatoe man

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

My 15 Yr old cousin has been getting into this airsoft thing and he's has been playing with rentals on sights for a while now and I want to get him an RIf for his bday, but my problem is I don't have an ukara licence would I still be able to get him an RIF and is gifting a valid defence?

5 minutes ago, Potatoe man said:

My 15 Yr old cousin has been getting into this airsoft thing and he's has been playing with rentals on sights for a while now and I want to get him an RIf for his bday, but my problem is I don't have an ukara licence would I still be able to get him an RIF and is gifting a valid defence?

You cannot purchase a RIF yourself as you do not have a valid defence, so no you cannot give him a RIF. But you could buy him a two toned airsoft gun (IF) if you are 18+ and gift him that.

Edited by Asomodai

Edit: Sniped by Asomodai

If you had UKARA you could gift a RIF (Realistic Imitation Firearm(Black)) but without that you can gift him an IF (Imitation Firearm (Two tone coloured)) because that's what you're allowed to buy yourself.

Edited by EDcase

Note that gifting in itself is not a defence, it’s a VCRA loophole 

The offence covers the sale, manufacture/modify & importation of RIFs

As it covers sales it doesn’t cover ‘giving without recompense’, but you can only give what you can get

Under the law - no you cannot buy a RIF to give to him

But you could go and play with him three times, obtain your own UKARA membership and then buy a RIF to give him 

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Tommikka said:

Under the law - no you cannot buy a RIF to give to him

Well, legally you can, because purchase isn't an offence, and neither is gifting. However, finding someone who will commit the offence of selling to you is the problem.

That said, what I'd suggest - and I'm assuming @Potatoe man isn't an active airsofter - is to look at buying a two-tone non-realistic imitation firearm, which just requires you to be 18.  You can't sell it on to him, but you can gift it.

Caveat: that's if he can be trusted not to take it out to the local woods to show off to his mates. Realistic or day-glo orange, public possession of any imitation firearm without a reasonable excuse is an offence.

If he can be trusted with the ownership and use of it, then how long it stays a two-tone shouldn't be a concern.

If he can't be trusted, then don't get him anything at all.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.