New player in North London!

Beorn

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey folks, new player here, looking for advice on worthwhile sites and meeting people to play with.

I live in the northern part of Islington, and don't have access to a car at the mo so I'm a bit worried good sites may be limited for me. I've been down to Bunker51 in Woolwich but it honestly wasn't my cup of tea. Was quite limited and I think I'm after a bit more of a milsim experience than team deathmatch. The rental guns I used were crap too and broke repeatedly which ruined the majority of my time there.

Anyway, I've got an AEG now and some of my own kit, but have been struggling on a few fronts. First is finding a battery I can fit into my gun that isn't out of effing stock. Secondly, finding decent sites that are less CQB focused and more medium range in nature! Finally, meeting up with some decent folk to get stuck in with would be great. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

Edited by Beorn

30 minutes ago, Beorn said:

Hey folks, new player here, looking for advice on worthwhile sites and meeting people to play with.

I live in the northern part of Islington, and don't have access to a car at the mo so I'm a bit worried good sites may be limited for me. I've been down to Bunker51 in Woolwich but it honestly wasn't my cup of tea. Was quite limited and I think I'm after a bit more of a milsim experience than team deathmatch. The rental guns I used were crap too and broke repeatedly which ruined the majority of my time there.

Anyway, I've got an AEG now and some of my own kit, but have been struggling on a few fronts. First is finding a battery I can fit into my gun that isn't out of effing stock. Secondly, finding decent sites that are less CQB focused and more medium range in nature! Finally, meeting up with some decent folk to get stuck in with would be great. Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated, cheers!

See some of the SE Tour Reviews in the Skirmish Review section of the forum. Many of those sites are public transportable from London if you don't mind getting up early. 

Note: Bunker 51 is the only site near central London. There are only 4 sites within the M25 and one of them you can't reach without a car as it's in Abridge. (The other two are Red 1 Chislehurst and D&A Dropzone which are both out Kent way both are small woodland sites)

Edited by Asomodai

9 hours ago, Asomodai said:

See some of the SE Tour Reviews in the Skirmish Review section of the forum. Many of those sites are public transportable from London if you don't mind getting up early. 

Note: Bunker 51 is the only site near central London. There are only 4 sites within the M25 and one of them you can't reach without a car as it's in Abridge. (The other two are Red 1 Chislehurst and D&A Dropzone which are both out Kent way both are small woodland sites)

Hey, thanks for the reply! I actually checked out a few of the SE tour reviews haha, thanks for the heads up! Oblivion looks like a good day out but I don't think games run there very often by the looks.

Getting up early isn't an issue, appreciate the heads up on Red1 Chiselhurst, and D&A especially. Both of those looks fairly doable for me! Do you have any experience with either site?

I have exp with Chiselhurst, I have had two great days going solo. Team are welcoming and it's easy to hookup with other players in team to slot in.

Games were good and challenging. 

Players being players sometimes they can be slow to get to where required. But that is a player issue....

Only questionable point is lack of plumbing so be sure to take plenty of water. 

Worth a look and easy for us on the public transport. 

Mayhem - the Abridge one, depending on how much kit you carry is only two miles (ish) from the nearest tube station. I walked there and got a can back....

If you are willing to spend a little (🤣) on trains there are a few in sites "walking" distance from some Hertfordshire towns, they are one the list

Welcome to the hobby.

22 hours ago, Beorn said:

Do you have any experience with either site?

Welcome to the forum!

I'm just outside SE London and have a car, so not in the same boat as I can easily head into Kent or West Sussex. There are several good sites out there. If you can get yourself to Chislehurst, I reckon you'll have a decent time. It's been a while since I was at Red1 but my experience was it's a decent crowd and definitely more mid-range than long. The site describes itself as "Woodland CQB" because it's a fairly small patch, next to a children's football field.

Also within the M25 you've got TWA Croydon - it's a bit rough around the edges and very much geared towards the rental crowd, but I quite like the actual grounds and there's a good open area to get your hop set etc.

2 hours ago, Jaylordofwaargh said:

I have exp with Chiselhurst, I have had two great days going solo. Team are welcoming and it's easy to hookup with other players in team to slot in.

Games were good and challenging. 

Players being players sometimes they can be slow to get to where required. But that is a player issue....

Only questionable point is lack of plumbing so be sure to take plenty of water. 

Worth a look and easy for us on the public transport. 

Mayhem - the Abridge one, depending on how much kit you carry is only two miles (ish) from the nearest tube station. I walked there and got a can back....

If you are willing to spend a little (🤣) on trains there are a few in sites "walking" distance from some Hertfordshire towns, they are one the list

Welcome to the hobby.

That's a great shout and thanks with the advice on the water! Its looking like I'll be heading to Chiselhurst first of all then, but D&A Dropzone looks a similar travel time so will defo check them out sometime.

Reforger and the Red1's up near Watford are defo on my radar, as its super easy for me to get to Watford. A quick uber from there to the sites and I can see those being doable. Hope to see some of you  on the field sometime! Is there anywhere on the forum to talk about game day attendance or let people know where/when you're planning to play? Just curious how common it is to sync up with people

There is this one....https://airsoft-forums.uk/forum/126-other-events-and-meets/ which sees some use. I normally post up when and where I'll be as my actual game availability is very limited. But that's hospitality for you. 

There is also the "how was your Airsoft day?" Thread which can be a laugh to read and mark up sites as "to visit"

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.