The VFC / Umarex HK416 Owners Thread

RostokMcSpoons

36 minutes ago, The_Roach said:

- BB weight, what would you use to clock below 350 fps, noting that I intend to play in semi for obvious mag capacity reasons

You can adjust the power by twisting the screw inside the nozzle, you need a 1.5mm Allen key, anti clockwise for more power

Run the heaviest BBs you can find / afford because you won't be shooting many of them... I ran 0.40s mostly but 0.32s are easier to buy

39 minutes ago, The_Roach said:

- What gas would you use at which temp ?

Ultrair or Abbey Sniper Brut, minimal silicone content to keep the hop rubber dry

45 minutes ago, The_Roach said:

- I'm planning to use a single point sling, will the stock and attachment take the weight rubbing ?

I run a two point sling with a sling point on the top RIS rail and using the built in point on the rear of the receiver.  The whole gun is built like a tank, you won't have any problems.  The stock nut on mine likes to undo itself, that's the only thing that would give me pause about attaching the sling to it. 

1 hour ago, The_Roach said:

- Any simple hacks to increase reliability out of the box, without buying anything, e.g. what needs tightening, loctite, sand papering, silicon lubing etc.

Apart from the stock nut maybe needs a dab of thread lock, it's all good.

I use (rightly or wrongly) a bit of silicon grease mixed with abbey silicone spray to make a light grease which I used on the bolt and charging handle.  A bit of the spray on the trigger assembly, and that's it

Enjoy!

Ive been running .3g bbs in mine with no issues, I get decent range and accuracy with them.

I have just been using bog standard nuprol green gas in mine and have the npas set at around 320fps with .2g bbs.

I've not used mine in the winter yet so it will be interesting to see how well it runs with green gas. I might try red/black gas if its started to struggle.

I normally give every thing a good clean every few game days and use lithium grease on the bolt.

I always have a quick look at any screws or nuts to see if they need tightening as the recoil of the rifle is pretty firm.

• 5 weeks later...

On 06/02/2023 at 13:16, cart3rlfc said:

You'll have to add tax of 20% and customs of 2.5% on them, that's the overall total to with shipping on, just so you are aware 👍

I bought 3 VFC magazines in WOG. Than I was told by customs that there was a duty of 42 pounds.  To be honest, this is really frustrating, but my friend told me that I should not use UPS for transportation but should choose EMS, because UPS is a commercial mail, while EMS is a private mail.  Although it is more expensive, it can avoid paying tariffs, but I don't know if this is true.

Edited by Miêu Anh-Nguyễn

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Be gentle with me, I'm new to airsoft and this forum!

Looking at buying a 416 A5 Gen 3 but have watched so many reviews on YouTube that I have confused myself.

I have a few questions if anyone can help:

1/ Is the bolt carrier and bolt in the Gen 3 made of steel or aluminum? I watched a video where the guy kept changing his mind. One minute he appeared to say that the Gen 2 had a steel carrier and bolt and the Gen 3 aluminum ones and then that the Gen 3 had  aluminum ones and the Gen 2 steel ones?

2/ Am I right in thinking that both steel and alloy bolt carriers and bolts can be interchanged between the Gen 3 and Gen 2?

3/ I'm assuming that the steel bolt carrier / steel bolt is the better set up?

4/ The firing pin and spring was apparently the weak point on the Gen 2. I gather that this has been replaced with a steel pin and spring on the Gen 3?

5/ Am I right in saying that the FPS can not be adjusted on the Gen 3 and is instead factory set?

Grateful for any reply's guys & girls.

Edited by jim4244

Yeah sorry mate, I think we've all got gen.2 so can't answer your specific questions!

Good luck with your new gnu, I've certainly enjoyed owning mine 😃

6 hours ago, jim4244 said:

Three days and no replies?

Have a nice new Gen 3 on the way to me with a few extra mags so I guess that I will be answering my own questions at the weekend.

Jim

Hello Jim,

I have a Gen 3 version and its brilliant.

To answer some of your questions;

No, the bolt carrier is not steel. There is a very small square bit of steel where the bolt engages the bolt catch when the mag runs empty. However, although it's not steel, I cant see the bolt carrier cracking or breaking unless you hit it with a hammer.

I have no idea if a steel bolt carrier is better. I would imagine that it would be a bit heavier and affect gas efficiency.

I am sure the bolt carriers with fit both gen 2 and 3 as there is very little difference between the two. The gen 3 has slightly better internals that makes it a bit more reliable and solves the intermitant issue of the bolt not always locking back when the mag is empty. Mine locks back every time (as long as there is enough gas in the mags)

All the internals on the Gen 3 seems to be steel.

The Gen 3 does come with an adjustable npas. You need a small allen key and its a bit fiddly but I have had mine running from 280fps to over 350fps (on 0.2g bbs). I think the asian version might have an insert in the nozzel to prevent it firing too hot, but the Uk version is fully adjustable.

Hope this helps.

Running a gas blowback rifle is much more akin to sniping than anything else, as you're carefully flinging single shots rather than spamming (well, most of the time anyway)

For that it's important to be able to see the flight of your BB and then to be able to correct the aim for follow up shots, and for that I've found running an LPVO (typically set at ~3X magnification) is really useful.

All the times I've gone back to a red dot I've missed that magnification. 

(I had bought a Eotech clone specifically for my 416 because it looks brilliant on it)

Not the case when I'm running an AEG, where I really prefer the red dot.

672560166_VFCHK416Extendedbarrel.jpg.27524c152c069cc28f2b1979bbea3a0e.jpg

773618601_Specops-HK416-3s.jpg.66b86b01db3d4dc9e3ab1e566f806be9.jpg

Edit:  Having written that out, I realize a good compromise would be the Eotech paired with a Flip-To-Side magnifier!  Well, that's something else to spend some dosh on)

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Yup that could do the trick.  Try to find out what the eye relief / view box is like.

The only thing with that sight is - you're adding even more RIS to a gun that's already (pun-intended) "RIS Heavy" ;)

Yes… I did think that. I know that you can never have too many rails but even I have a limit!😱

Now please don’t judge me but in the interim I’ve bought a cheap Chinese X2 red dot until I actually get to see and fire the rifle. I’m overseas with work at present and don’t get home until Saturday afternoon. SWMBO has already been messaging me asking “What are all these bloody packages that keep being delivered and what’s in the big heavy one?”….🤣😂🤣 I daren’t even hint at how much I’ve spent…..

So the plan is to arrive home, fuss up the dogs, be ignored by the cat, dump my washing in the basket, kiss SWMBO, and then open everything on the kitchen table, strip and lube the 416, mount all the goodies on the various rails, set up some targets in the garden and let rip 👹

Then light the log burner, order a Chinese, drink some cider and then off to bed…..

Sounds like a plan eh?

So…… there’s a lot more to setting up an airsoft GBBR then simply giving it a clean, pulling through the barrel and check zeroing it. What’s this hop up that puts a back spin on the projectile? I’ve watched a couple of YouTube videos and think that I understand the procedure for setting it up.

Hmmm…. and the original plan was just to hang the 416 on the wall in my study 🤔

Jim

The trickiest part of owning GBBRs in my limited experience is getting mags that don't leak (and fixing them if they do).  Everything else is quite straightforward.

Yes, clean the barrel.

Yes, buy some silicone grease and/ or spray for lubing the working parts

And setting the hop is probably not something to worry about while you're just plinking in the garden.  But on this gun it's really easy anyway 👍

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

I run a VisionKing LPVO like McSpoons, and just like McSpoons, I find around x2~3 zoom works just fine. Its a decent scope for the money

The VisionKing is also illuminated so you can sort of run it like a red dot of you want. 

20231125_001935.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Took the bad boy for its first outing.

Chrono clocked at 320fps with 0.30g and I was enjoying decent, reliable, accurate firing first. As the weather degraded with heavy rains and the mags were in the cold, performance started degrading too. Inconsistent shots, a dry fire every so often, maybe just due to brand new "stiff" mags. The bolt didn't always lock back on an empty mag. However, you can hear the difference between a dry fire and an actual shot, prompting a mag change.

The range was underwhelming. I might have to spend more time fiddling with the hop-up but at some point I considered feeding 0.20g to the beast.

Everything else worked fine except for a runaway burst when I tried to mag dump my last rounds and it dried fired while discharging a full gas mag. The bolt literally froze.

Finally, how the hell did *this* happen ? And how do I fix it ? Even my tiniest Allen key (0.7 mm) is too big for the hex recess at one end ?

20231211_065604.jpg

20231211_065625.jpg

20231211_065754.jpg

Edited by The_Roach

320fps with .3g bbs? Isn't that way too hot for most sights or were you using it as a DMR?

Looks like you need a bit of thread lock on that screw. Although i dont know how you are gonna get it back in.

I didn't bother taking my 416 to the last game day, at around 3°C I thought the chances of having it work reliably were extremely low.  All the stuff you experienced sounds like low temperature problems that would have been suffered by any GBBR, with the possible exception of an MWS

13 hours ago, CrackCommandoUnit1972 said:

320fps with .3g bbs? Isn't that way too hot for most sights or were you using it as a DMR?

Looks like you need a bit of thread lock on that screw. Although i dont know how you are gonna get it back in.

320 on .30's is 1.42j   So over power limits for the UK , assuming its not semi locked as a DMR,  Surprised the site alowed it to be used.

I’ve been to sites with my MWS shooting a bit hot and they’ve stated so long as I stay within the DMR minimum engagement distances they’re cool with it.

Let be honest, if your using you’re GBBR in full auto they already know you’re going to be a nobber 😂

6 hours ago, Nick G said:

320 on .30's is 1.42j   So over power limits for the UK , assuming its not semi locked as a DMR,  Surprised the site alowed it to be used.

It was the site's chrono, I did state I was running 0.30g, they tagged my rifle as OK, after doing the maths. Mag dumping the few 30 rds mags I have, never seemed like an option to me. Besides, I like to think of myself as not a dick. I don't play this game to hurt others. And to be fair, I don't even play for the frags.

On my first 2 games of the day, I barely went through one mag.

Edited by The_Roach
typo

4 hours ago, The_Roach said:

It was the site's chrono, I did state I was running 0.30g, they tagged my rifle as OK, after doing the maths. Mag dumping the few 30 rds mags I have, never seemed like an option to me. Besides, I like to think as myself as not a dick. I don't play this game to hurt others. And to be fair, I don't even play for the frags.

On my first 2 games of the day, I barely went through one mag.

It's totally on them , not on you.  I think most sites know that us GBBR users are sensible with our limited ammo and mag cool down , lets face it we are never going to go 'full wanker' with a GBBR 😂 

May well be that they have allowed for cooldown or alow a margin on the chrono.

How was the performance in the colder weather ? I've run my WE based L119's down to 4 or 5 degrees with red or black gas, Colder than that and I'm not playing ! 

16 hours ago, Nick G said:

It's totally on them , not on you.  I think most sites know that us GBBR users are sensible with our limited ammo and mag cool down , lets face it we are never going to go 'full wanker' with a GBBR 😂 

May well be that they have allowed for cooldown or alow a margin on the chrono.

How was the performance in the colder weather ? I've run my WE based L119's down to 4 or 5 degrees with red or black gas, Colder than that and I'm not playing ! 

Fine initially, I used the standard mag first, no dramas. As the rain started pouring, and my mags on my chest rig and belt which were exposed, shots became inconsistent. With a significant drop in temperature in the afternoon, I had an increasing amount of dry fire incidents. I was running standard Green Gas however. I need to run a range day, fine tune the hop-up, gas and BB weight choice. I have the feeling I'm not making the best of a fine rifle.

4 hours ago, The_Roach said:

Fine initially, I used the standard mag first, no dramas. As the rain started pouring, and my mags on my chest rig and belt which were exposed, shots became inconsistent. With a significant drop in temperature in the afternoon, I had an increasing amount of dry fire incidents. I was running standard Green Gas however. I need to run a range day, fine tune the hop-up, gas and BB weight choice. I have the feeling I'm not making the best of a fine rifle.

It's certainly worth having a session on the range to fine tune everything.

6 hours ago, The_Roach said:

You had the mags with the feed lips facing down, I hope!
But even then, any moisture getting into the system is going to be tricky... tolerances around the nozzle and inside the barrel are fine, even if they're all over the place everywhere else, it's not going to take much to spoil the feeding and accuracy.   And the temperature will mess with the gas system enormously.  Almost every pistol I've seen test-fired at the chrono on a cold day is either parping out BB's at super-slow speed, or just de-gassing in a cloud of disappointment.   (With the exception of plastic slide TM's, obviously ;))   
It's going to be the same with rifles, unfortunately.

I have used my 416 at 10 centigrade reasonably successfully.  But less than that and I decide not to have a possibly sour experience with my favourite gat