Newbie/Restarter after Lockdown

Vise1987

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello Forum

I am another newbie who started playing before Lockdown stopped progress. I have not played since 2019 but I am hoping to get back into it after Xmas.
Does anyone play from West Yorkshire? I have tried Kill House (Dewsbury) and Halo Mill (Huddersfield) CQB venues and enjoy them both but not sure which/where to commit and start working toward Ukara. I have not done outside skirmish at all so any recommendations are welcome!

Currently I only have a ASG G18C AEP which I got in 2019 when I had Halo Membership, will this hold me until I can get Ukara? (I have lipo batteries for it and 3 extended mags)

I will probably bombard with questions so thanks/sorry in advance

Cheers

Hi and welcome to the good ship afuk.🙂

Ask away. The guys on here are pretty clued up except for me. I'm more glued up lol.

Enjoy 👍

Regards 

Welcome (back) 😉  (I haven't been since 2019 either)

Hopefully someone with local knowledge will help with site recommendations.

You can also check HERE in the meantime.

You may struggle with an AEP for CQB as its cycle time is quite long and speed is of the essence in that environment.

And it certainly won't work for outdoors I'm afraid.

Even though its a pain in the wallet, it really is best to rent for the first 3 games.  You'll get to see what others have and maybe have a go with a few if you ask nicely.

• Supporters

Ahoy and welcome.

18 hours ago, Vise1987 said:

Currently I only have a ASG G18C AEP which I got in 2019 when I had Halo Membership, will this hold me until I can get Ukara? (I have lipo batteries for it and 3 extended mags)

Mayyyybe.  Going to lipo made a big difference to my CYMA AEP.  They do actually work, and will put 0.2g far enough for most CQB site. The trigger response is never going to be as good as gas or a decent electric rifle though, so you're playing in Hard Mode.

Waiting for your membership / UKARA is a good opportunity to blag a go on other guns - if you were at my local struggling with an AEP I'd take pity on you and throw a spare AEG your way. ;) 

2 minutes ago, Vise1987 said:

Thank you all, some good advise on here. Is it worth buying a cheap two tone AEG like a bullldog/src m4? Or something for the same cost of renting and run it into the ground then upgrade? 

Up to you if you're happy to play with a two-tone.  (You can spray it black after you have UKARA)

Remember that a two-tone is not worth as much second hand so when you want to 'upgrade' you will lose more on what you paid for it. (most retailers will charge extra for two-tone as well)

It is worth having a backup so if you can keep it when you upgrade then it would be more worthwhile

Edited by EDcase

7 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Up to you if you're happy to play with a two-tone.  (You can spray it black after you have UKARA)

Remember that a two-tone is not worth as much second hand so when you want to 'upgrade' you will lose more on what you paid for it. (most retailers will charge extra for two-tone as well)

It is worth having a backup so if you can keep it when you upgrade then it would be more worthwhile

That is a good point I never thought about resale or a backup actually, some food for thought. 

Hello & welcome.

Lots has been said about renting rather than going two-tone for a few months. It's not just the cost but also figuring out what you want from your new toys so that you get the toys that suit you best.

You've played before so it's not the standard newbie responses, you already know you like airsoft and know what you're looking for so with you it's more a case of resale values (if you're planning to sell it once you get UKARA) and respraying the brightly coloured bits. If you're happy doing the respray and it'll become your backup once you have UKARA then it's a fair argument to buy rather than rent, there's a thread on here about using vinyl dye instead of paint.

1 hour ago, Madhouse said:

Hello & welcome.

Lots has been said about renting rather than going two-tone for a few months. It's not just the cost but also figuring out what you want from your new toys so that you get the toys that suit you best.

You've played before so it's not the standard newbie responses, you already know you like airsoft and know what you're looking for so with you it's more a case of resale values (if you're planning to sell it once you get UKARA) and respraying the brightly coloured bits. If you're happy doing the respray and it'll become your backup once you have UKARA then it's a fair argument to buy rather than rent, there's a thread on here about using vinyl dye instead of paint.

That is great thank you, i will take look at the dye method I didn't realise it was possible. It may help sway me towards getting a two tone for now with view to eventually demote to backup. 

• Supporters

It what I did, and I have no regrets.

Actually, while I bought a two-tone, after a careful reading of the wording of the legislation, I've never played with one.

Oh noes, is this going to be come a "wut starter gnu?" thread. :D 

• Supporters
23 minutes ago, EDcase said:

You don't know what you're missing 😉🤣

Well, I now generally play with a non-realistic fantasy lasergun, so there's that. ;) 

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

It what I did, and I have no regrets.

Actually, while I bought a two-tone, after a careful reading of the wording of the legislation, I've never played with one.

Oh noes, is this going to be come a "wut starter gnu?" thread. :D 

Hah sounds good, guns have gone up in price since I last looked but two tone cyma m4 cm506 are still realistic circa 110 quid with battery or cm011 g36 for 125. I do fancy a g36 I like the folding stock, anyone know if the cyma one any good? 

• Supporters

I'd avoid the low end CYMA CM5xx M4s. While the internals are fine, the plastic feels (and is) really cheap.  When I say I have no regrets about getting one, it's more because it was a decent base to play around with internally and externally, and it's still in the backup-backup bag as a last-resort gun.

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a bad budget G36.  They all have a rotary hop unit, the length is fine for CQB or woodland, and I really like the ergonomics. The only downside is that the battery space isn't great, but it's not really a problem either: I run ~1400mAh block batteries and always change at lunch anyway.  You can run G36 mags, or with a ~£10 magwell adaptor, it'll take M4 / STANAG mags instead.

I'm happy with my Jing Gong G36C, it's my my go-to now.  Based on a disassembly video, the CYMA looks essentially identical, and CYMA V3 gearboxen (as used in their AKs) are well regarded.  That said, PatrolBase have an "Evolution Airsoft" for £10 more which has a microswitch (meh) and a quick change spring (nice).  That's more of an unknown brand though.

Might be worth a punt, you might want to stick with CYMA, but either way, I'd recommend it as a platform.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

I'd avoid the low end CYMA CM5xx M4s. While the internals are fine, the plastic feels (and is) really cheap.  When I say I have no regrets about getting one, it's more because it was a decent base to play around with internally and externally, and it's still in the backup-backup bag as a last-resort gun.

As far as I'm aware, there isn't a bad budget G36.  They all have a rotary hop unit, the length is fine for CQB or woodland, and I really like the ergonomics. The only downside is that the battery space isn't great, but it's not really a problem either: I run ~1400mAh block batteries and always change at lunch anyway.  You can run G36 mags, or with a ~£10 magwell adaptor, it'll take M4 / STANAG mags instead.

I'm happy with my Jing Gong G36C, it's my my go-to now.  Based on a disassembly video, the CYMA looks essentially identical, and CYMA V3 gearboxen (as used in their AKs) are well regarded.  That said, PatrolBase have an "Evolution Airsoft" for £10 more which has a microswitch (meh) and a quick change spring (nice).  That's more of an unknown brand though.

Might be worth a punt, you might want to stick with CYMA, but either way, I'd recommend it as a platform.

This ia amazing info thank you, I will probably go with my gut then and look at the cm011 g36 again for a January order. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.