Overwhelming M4 list

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I'm looking to get a new M4 (me poor old Cm16 has seen many better days) but I have spent a few days scouring patrol base and zero one but there are just too many and I feel like drowning in specna arms. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations? With the ideal criteria being solid accuracy and range (I've grown sad watching my bbs harmlessly drop after 20m for the other guy to turn around and spurt a laser beam into me), AEG,  and anything below £400. 

Or alternatively, try and upgrade the CM16? I'm positively special when it comes to techy stuff (not in a good way) and have previously broken it while following instructions from patrol base over the phone lol. If I was to go down this route what would people recommend upgrading to help with that accuracy and range issue? RPM / trigger response time I really don't care about very much I just want to be able to have the bbs go a bit straighter & further lol

Thanks

[In my defence re/ it being an M4, all the kit & mags I have are based around the m4 and FAL and cant afford to change that now lol]

Accuracy and range is mostly a compression/hop setup thing.

You need consistent "volume" output and a good hop up rubber/patch that gives consistent spin to the BB.

The first can be easily addressed, it's mostly a matter of lubrication and replacement of o-rings (except for the nozzle, you may want a new one and it's an easy swap), the second is where it gets interesting:

You have four parts:

• Hop unit;
  • Tensioner (or nub);
  • Hop rubber (or R-Hop patch);
  • Inner barrel

The only requirement I have for my hop units is to have a rigid hop arm (the main reason why I use Maxx units), it's more consistent and always applies the same amount of pressure.

The same applies to tensioners, nowadays concave tensioners are the way to go (either embedded into the hop arm or a separate piece like the Maple Leaf Omega) since they affect a larger area on the hop rubber than regular, tube shaped ones.

Hop rubbers come in all different shapes, materials and forms, it's mostly a matter of testing and finding out which one your gun likes the most, I've had good experiences with Maple Leaf Macarons. The same applies to hardness, most people like 60° rubbers, I had the best results with 70° ones.

Inner barrels don't need to be fancy, they need to be clean and straight. Given that your gun is a G&G Combat Machine I would still replace the stock one as it's horrible and made of pressed tinfoil, luckily for you ZCI makes some affordable 6.02mm steel barrels that are good quality too! Generally I found that wider barrels are more consistent, but ymmv

3 hours ago, Skara said:

Accuracy and range is mostly a compression/hop setup thing.

You need consistent "volume" output and a good hop up rubber/patch that gives consistent spin to the BB.

The first can be easily addressed, it's mostly a matter of lubrication and replacement of o-rings (except for the nozzle, you may want a new one and it's an easy swap), the second is where it gets interesting:

You have four parts:

• Hop unit;
  • Tensioner (or nub);
  • Hop rubber (or R-Hop patch);
  • Inner barrel

The only requirement I have for my hop units is to have a rigid hop arm (the main reason why I use Maxx units), it's more consistent and always applies the same amount of pressure.

The same applies to tensioners, nowadays concave tensioners are the way to go (either embedded into the hop arm or a separate piece like the Maple Leaf Omega) since they affect a larger area on the hop rubber than regular, tube shaped ones.

Hop rubbers come in all different shapes, materials and forms, it's mostly a matter of testing and finding out which one your gun likes the most, I've had good experiences with Maple Leaf Macarons. The same applies to hardness, most people like 60° rubbers, I had the best results with 70° ones.

Inner barrels don't need to be fancy, they need to be clean and straight. Given that your gun is a G&G Combat Machine I would still replace the stock one as it's horrible and made of pressed tinfoil, luckily for you ZCI makes some affordable 6.02mm steel barrels that are good quality too! Generally I found that wider barrels are more consistent, but ymmv

Thanks hugely, this is great info 😄 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.