Newbie Advice....

Aj698

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all, new to the forum and to airsoft.  Just had my first RIF delivered and looking for advice to get the best out it.

It's Specna H03 - shooting about 315fps out the box on .20 looking to get close to site limit of 350fps.  Any tips, advice? 

Cheers,

Aj

IMG-20220630-WA0001.jpeg

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Aj698 said:

Hi all, new to the forum and to airsoft.  Just had my first RIF delivered and looking for advice to get the best out it.

It's Specna H03 - shooting about 315fps out the box on .20 looking to get close to site limit of 350fps.  Any tips, advice? 

Cheers,

Aj

IMG-20220630-WA0001.jpeg

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Initial first gun newbie advice is always - leave it alone until you've used it a while and then decide if it actually needs more power/better barrel/different hop rubber.

H03 is from the Specna ONE series if I remember correctly so it probably needs the gearbox out to get at the spring anyway. Easy, simple upgrade would be a ZCI barrel and a Maple Leaf macaron rubber with the Maple Leaf Omega nub. Should give you a bit of a bump in power without taking you over the site limit too. Speak to @ak2m4 about what he can supply from his wondrous website www.ak2m4.co.uk

• Supporters

Ahoy and welcome.  Perfectly decent choice.  It's likely to have an M90 spring fitted.  An M100 is the default choice for 1.13J-ish Joules.

I say Joules because unless you're playing CQB indoors, you'll likely be wanting to use 0.28g (minimum 0.25g, maybe even 0.3g or higher if your Specna will lift them and budget allows).  Unless your site is still stuck in the 1990s and chronoing on 0.2g, you'll want to chrono on the BB weight that you'll be using, and ideally with the hop set for that.  The difference can be significant: I have guns that shoot at 1J with 0.28g, but 1.2J with 0.2g, with the hop set appropriately for each weight.

Did yours come with another spring in the box? If so, it will be an M120, although it may be in an M90 wrapper (with the M90 already fitted).  You could cut a few coils off of it and see where that gets you.  Cutting them down is easy enough.

Oh, I would echo what @Lozartsaid though - play first, get a baseline, then start modifying.  You're at 0.9J just now, which is fine - effective range is more about shot-to-shot consistency than maximum power.   I'd also agree that ZCI or AOLS barrels and Maple Leaf rubbers (Macaron bucking and omega nub) are a great combination and will likely bump the muzzle energy up a little.  You already have a decent rotary hop unit.

Thanks for the replies and advice gents - much appreciated 👍🏻.

Headibg to first skirmish next weekend with it so will see how it performs and take it from there.

Final query, seen lots of advice about first clean....

Some say isopropyl cleaner others say silicon spray to remove any protective film of oil.  Which is best?

Again thanks in advance 

Aj

8 minutes ago, Aj698 said:

Thanks for the replies and advice gents - much appreciated 👍🏻.

Some say isopropyl cleaner others say silicon spray to remove any protective film of oil.  Which is best?

Now this can be divisive but I would never, ever use any kind of silicon lubricant if there's the remotest chance of it migrating to anywhere there is metal on metal contact, as this causes galling and your gun will literally eat itself. Isopropyl is anyway a proper solvent so this is what you need for degreasing etc.

• Supporters

And you don't want silicone anywhere near the hop rubber.  Isopropanol from the hop unit forwards, actual grease / high viscosity oil on the gears.  Silicone only on the o-rings, and grease is better than liquid (although I do occasionally scoosh some liquid up the nozzle for a quick air-seal refresh).

Guest KiloGr

Leave as is; Get a ZCI tightbore barrel, prommy purple / maple leaf super macaron rubber and omega nub.  Should marginally increase the fps and give you more range and accuracy.

• 1 month later...

Hi, Am loving my specna!  It's robust as all metal and shoots well.  Done a couple more basic upgrades which really has increased accuracy & distance...

Maxx Model CNC hop up - totally worth the price.

Specna 6.02 barrel.

ASG M105 spring which gets me just under the max limit.

As most made by or with specna there is no faff or fannying about tweaking/making it fit.  It just all works perfectly.

Off to try AWA this weekend.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.