Umarex USP 9mm, first GBB pistol.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

After a fair bit of humming, hawwing and faffing I ordered the above at the weekend. As per my thread last week I was originally after a 1911 or Desert Eagle but instead went for something that looks a wee bit sci fi and wedgey, ergonomic and has a decent gas/ammo capacity, and the USP seemed to fit all of the above rather well.

Although, some of the reviews online are a bit patchy. And 9mm USP mags are, er, rare, it seems. Have I goofed and ordered a pile of complete and utter keech? Well, time will tell I suppose. Everyone online seems to slate Lancer Tactical and the APS UAR and yet I have both and love them. So here goes for my first plunge into the world of GBB pistols.

Also ordered some silicone spray and gas and have been swotting up on GBB maintenance so I don't feck it up.

Right, the questions. Firstly, did I make a wise choice? Or have I just done the airsoft equivalent of that bit in Indiana Jones when the guy drinks from the wrong cup? And secondly, any general helpful tips for maintaining my new toy, aside from keeping o-rings and nozzles lubed? Should I keep a bit of pressure in the mag or fully discharge it for storage?

Ta muchly as always.

Eezer G

Never used a USP and I can't say I've noticed them at all on game days either so it seems more of a niche pistol although it does loook nice

I generally keep a can of maintenance gas to keep in the mags while stored to keep the seals lubed.

Remember to empty your mags to keep the springs from being compressed

@strykerles hit the nail on the head for maintenance so I'll echo some of what he said. I keep my mags with a bit of gas in them while not in use and I've only had two mk23 mags start leaking. Just make sure they're stored with a bit of gas in (maintenance gas is best) to keep them nice and healthy. Keeping them unloaded to protect the spring from becoming compressed is good too and will make sure it feeds nicely as you move forward. Also, I take my pistols apart after each game day I use them, give them a good clean and relubing (mostly just the slide) to keep it working nice and snappy. You typically won't have to lube up the piston head, but if you notice the loading nozzle having a hard time returning after each shot, or you notice a lot of gas venting out the top with each shot you will have to do that. I've only done that with one pistol of mine and that's the 1911 as I was trying to get as much gas efficiency out of it as possible due to tiny mags with tiny gas reservoirs. It's generally not that difficult, it can just be a bit fiddly and feature springy bits that you don't want to lose or warp.

USP is nice. I'm also a fan of HK pistols because I prefer the mag release.

5 hours ago, Ebeneezer Goode said:

After a fair bit of humming, hawwing and faffing I ordered the above at the weekend. As per my thread last week I was originally after a 1911 or Desert Eagle but instead went for something that looks a wee bit sci fi and wedgey, ergonomic and has a decent gas/ammo capacity, and the USP seemed to fit all of the above rather well.

Although, some of the reviews online are a bit patchy. And 9mm USP mags are, er, rare, it seems. Have I goofed and ordered a pile of complete and utter keech? Well, time will tell I suppose. Everyone online seems to slate Lancer Tactical and the APS UAR and yet I have both and love them. So here goes for my first plunge into the world of GBB pistols.

Also ordered some silicone spray and gas and have been swotting up on GBB maintenance so I don't feck it up.

Right, the questions. Firstly, did I make a wise choice? Or have I just done the airsoft equivalent of that bit in Indiana Jones when the guy drinks from the wrong cup? And secondly, any general helpful tips for maintaining my new toy, aside from keeping o-rings and nozzles lubed? Should I keep a bit of pressure in the mag or fully discharge it for storage?

Ta muchly as always.

Eezer G

Well you didn't buy a TM pistol so not really. the Umarex USP is a rebranded VFC who have a reputation for beautiful externals crap internals but their HK45 is meant to be good so maybe USP will be fine 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.