Is this a good first gun?

Max marriott

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

• Supporters

I'm happy enough with my Edge, but Specna Arms quality control is all over the place.  I can never remember if the CORE has the same fragile Orion gearbox as the Edge, but either way, it's a gamble given that they might have changed it again while I was writing this.

We're currently really liking the Double Eagle M90X range.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-m4-ar15-m16-variant-assault-rifles?*brand=61&*inst=y

It's ironic how, given the Orion sales spiel, what an absolutely shite reputation it has for being poorly manufactured and prone to failure

(This quote isn't directly from Specna, but no doubt gifted to a review site by their marketing team)
"ORION gearbox is based on a reinforced frame and equipped with the function of the main spring release. The gearbox has arrays of high-grade parts right out of the box, which makes it characteristic for its reliability and preparedness for further tuning. ORION gearbox is ready for cooperation with M140 springs"

Edited by RostokMcSpoons
Edited to attribute the quote

• Supporters
20 minutes ago, RostokMcSpoons said:

It's ironic how, given the Orion sales spiel, what an absolutely shite reputation it has for being poorly manufactured and prone to failure

(This quote isn't directly from Specna, but no doubt gifted to a review site by their marketing team)
"ORION gearbox is based on a reinforced frame and equipped with the function of the main spring release. The gearbox has arrays of high-grade parts right out of the box, which makes it characteristic for its reliability and preparedness for further tuning. ORION gearbox is ready for cooperation with M140 springs"

Marketing =/= engineering

I'm happy with my Specna Edge but admittedly haven't used it much.

I do wonder if the Specnas are as bad as some say.  I know there have been some failures of the Orion gearbox but maybe it was a bad batch or something?

If mine does poop itself I'll certainly shout about it here...

• Supporters

It seems to come and go, but another chap here was just after saying that he's blown the front off of his Orion.  There was a batch that were dog rough and obviously poorly finished.  Mine looks nicer - the pot metal might have been given a stir.  It's got decent radiusing already done to it and hasn't cracked after several thousand shots at 1.8J as a DMR (I know, poor choice, but I can't not accept a challenge).

Still, why gamble when CYMA, JG and Double Eagle don't seem to have any concerns in that price range.

I'd normally include G&G in there, but honestly I think they're barring themselves from the basic AEG market now with their stubborn refusal to add any features to the Combat Machines while creeping the prices up.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.