Comparison test of motor efficiency---Ussli

Ussli

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Help my teammates repair the rifle today, I find that they all use different brands and parameters of high torque NdFeB motors (Nd-Fe-B high strong magnet), I removed 4 motors and tested their efficiency.

Motor efficiency refers to the ratio of the output speed with load to the no-load speed, high-efficiency motors save power and generate less heat.

The four motors shown below:

image.png.8a92c695c0566102f9f05f95fc5578a0.png

A:N35H 34000RPM

B:N52SH 28000RPM

C:N35 or N48 31000RPM (Unable to find the motor magnetic shoe level, by hand twist and torque comparison, guess it may be N35 or N48)

D:N35 36000RPM

The four motors are installed in the same rifle in the order of ABCD, use the same configuration of the gearbox grip, same battery, fully charge to 12.6V each time, conduct sonic test, get the RPS, then calculate the conversion efficiency of each motor.

The gears used are 12:1 weight reduction hollow steel cut gears, the spring is M85, and the initial speed is about 270FPS (limited by local regulations).

image.png.e18d06be544da22b862e531042f47e79.png

Get the track Waveform Diagram as below

image.png.d568f9229d6e46b559c782a7eaed890f.png

By calculating the peak value in one second, we get the RPS of each motor:

A:36

B:37

C:33

D:35

The formula for calculating efficiency is RPS*12*60/no-load speed, we get the following data

Group

Magnetic shoe model

12.6V RPS

11.1V no-load RPM

12.6V loaded  RPM(RPS*12*60)

Relative efficiency

A

N35H

76.23%

B

N52SH

95.14%

C

N35 orN48

76.64%

D

N35

70.00%

Please note:

1. The no-load speed marked by the manufacturer is measured at 11.1V, and the load voltage in this test is 12.6V, so the efficiency cannot represent an absolute value, and can only be used as a comparison reference for the efficiency performance of different types of motors

2. Efficiency is also directly related to the spring we use. If a high FPS spring is used, the efficiency may change. It is speculated that the more efficient motor should have a more obvious efficiency advantage under high load conditions (high FPS).

3. In addition to the magnetic shoe strength, the efficiency is also related to the coil

4. Because the motor is not brand new, the accuracy of the efficiency data may be affected by the high temperature demagnetization of individual motors.

5. From the test results, it can be seen that the B motor with the lowest no-load speed achieves the highest RPS in actual use due to its ultra-high efficiency, and at the same time, the heating energy consumption is lower. Although the no-load speed of the D model is high, due to low efficiency, the actual RPS is in a backward position, and it also brings more heat.

The above data are obtained from my non-professional tests and are only for players' reference.

Comparison test of motor efficiency---Ussli.docx

Interesting research but the sample size is too small to be useful given the range of motors available.

Which motors were used?

I think a more relatable test would be testing each motor with 13:1 gears and 18:1 gears together to a device that measures amp draw on semi and full auto.  Of course you'll need a better sample of known brand motors etc. Guessing this was for gel blasters?   

Be nice to see just how spring power including short stroking affects amp draw, buy hey it's a lot of work putting together something like that. 

38 minutes ago, ak2m4 said:

I think a more relatable test would be testing each motor with 13:1 gears and 18:1 gears together to a device that measures amp draw on semi and full auto.  Of course you'll need a better sample of known brand motors etc. Guessing this was for gel blasters?   

Be nice to see just how spring power including short stroking affects amp draw, buy hey it's a lot of work putting together something like that. 

I am not sure that the benefits of doing all that work would outweigh the time and investment involved.  While it would be fascinating in itself, would it make any difference to 99%+ of players?

17 minutes ago, Shamal said:

Still can't message you bro??

Try now.

16 hours ago, colinjallen said:

would it make any difference to 99%+ of players?

If we were to take the majority of players into account, this forum (and every other Airsoft platform) would be dead, because most of them can barely adjust the hop.

Also, only the magnets are being considered in this test, and not stuff like TPA, amp draw in semi and auto, cycle time and heat generated (energy wasted, this one is quite hard to measure unless you cut a hole through the pistol grip)..

A German YouTube channel did comprehensive testing of a ton of motors, from the shitty turbo 3000 to them sweet Warheads, in a 1h long video (kraut language but broken English subtitles)

On 23/04/2022 at 20:08, colinjallen said:

I am not sure that the benefits of doing all that work would outweigh the time and investment involved.  While it would be fascinating in itself, would it make any difference to 99%+ of players?

Try now.

That's exactly why I never did it.  However I get asked a lot of questions "what is the best combination of motor and gears" etc.  Of course no right or wrong answer. 

On 23/04/2022 at 18:04, colinjallen said:

Interesting research but the sample size is too small to be useful given the range of motors available.

Which motors were used?

The efficiency of N52SH is the highest. Because I found in semi-automatic mode. The high temperature state is important. SH is the high temperature grade. Motors with strong NdFeB magnets are recommended.

On 24/04/2022 at 02:18, ak2m4 said:

Yes for gel blasters. The current samples are representative of most brushed motors in common use. Brands are excluded as many are produced by the same factory. Usually the requirements for the motor are high in semi-automatic mode. Exclude brushless motors because of complex issues of cost and after-sales. N52SH NdFeB motor is worth choosing, SH stands for high temperature resistance grade.

On 24/04/2022 at 19:42, Skara said:

If we were to take the majority of players into account, this forum (and every other Airsoft platform) would be dead, because most of them can barely adjust the hop.

Also, only the magnets are being considered in this test, and not stuff like TPA, amp draw in semi and auto, cycle time and heat generated (energy wasted, this one is quite hard to measure unless you cut a hole through the pistol grip)..

A German YouTube channel did comprehensive testing of a ton of motors, from the shitty turbo 3000 to them sweet Warheads, in a 1h long video (kraut language but broken English subtitles)

I think TPA is inaccurate. Because of the difference in the diameter of the copper wire. The purity of the copper wire is also the same. There will be differences in the inward magnetic force generated after energization. I think what is considered in the motor test efficiency ratio is the overall performance.

On 25/04/2022 at 17:47, ak2m4 said:

That's exactly why I never did it.  However I get asked a lot of questions "what is the best combination of motor and gears" etc.  Of course no right or wrong answer. 

There is no best combination. Brushless motors are the best if you don't consider cost. As long as the gear is wear-resistant, has a high degree of wedge and is strong enough, it is OK

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.