CYMA Mains Adaptors

JasonKerner

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi,

I purchased a CYMA AK-47 (022) for my son; and we've used it about 4 times since buying it - been about 6 weeks - and now it doesn't do anything. So its either the charger, the battery or the gun. I'm thinking its the charger... Airsoft World (where we purchased it from) sent another battery out - although its half the mAH rating and half the physical size; but it does seem to have the same custom connector (not a Tamiya-style one - big or small; its custom it seems). And my question is...

- Has anyone else had any problems with this type of charger / battery / gun?

- Does anyone have a charger that has the custom connector (square; two-pin) that these guns use that they're willing to part with?

Airsoft World basically aren't helping much more now... but I'd like to get it sorted.

Blimey, that particular beast is ... £40  
At that price point I'd fear it's the gun.   However it is a Cyma AK, and so by the Law Of All That Is Airsoft, a Cyma AK is infallible!

The only connectors typically used in airsoft are the Tamiya ones you mentioned (either big or small), and Deans connectors which have two connectors arranged in a 'T' shape.

It sounds like you have the second type.   Does it look like one of these? 

image.png.a97aece1d1d371764ca069bd6173a020.png

At the price you paid, I'd have expected a NiMH and a very simple wall socket charger with Tamiya connectors on gun/charger/battery, but it sounds like they've given you a new battery with Deans, or as you say a 'custom' type.

So for the 

• The two batteries
  • The charger

Please give us pics :)

• Supporters

It's unlikely that anybody here has one since they are - with apologies and no judgement on you - vendor trash and not suitable for anything except target plinking.  So we don't know what connector or battery or charger it comes with - I wouldn't even like to guess what voltage it's running at.

I'd be astonished if it's got a Deans connector, but as a wild guess, if it looks like this, that's the connector found on "gel blasters".

image.png.f0d95ca7c298c5898bd6c5f4dfb70227.png

If you happen to have any other suitable batteries lying around, you could rewire the plug on the gun to match.

But I'm going to be honest, in the hope of being helpful: I'd consider everything in that package to be disposable, and wouldn't sink a single penny more into it, unless you actively enjoy the process of tinkering.

The metal gearboxed CYMAS starting around £80 (if you can find any in stock) are fine, and as tough as cockroaches.  Plastic gearboxes though, I'd consider myself lucky to get through a magazine.

Backing up everything thats been said, CYMA AKs should only be bought from the CYMA 040 range but they will last a LOT longer than the one you have bought and be a damn sight more enjoyable for your son.  More expensive, yes (around £120-£150 from Taiwan Gun, other retailers especially UK may be more expensive).

Oh and don't use the provided charger, it is China made and WILL probably burn your house down.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, EvilMonkee said:

Oh and don't use the provided charger, it is China made and WILL probably burn your house down.

Hah-hah-oh-wow, from AirsoftWorld.net:

"Also, the charging times in the manual are wrong. DO NOT follow them as it will kill the battery! Charge the battery for a MAXIMUM of 2.5hrs on the first charge and each subsequent charge from flat should not exceed 2 hours."

Out of curiosity, did you get a black one or was part of it in a bright colour?  (Legally it should be half painted red, green or blue)

Its likely a problem with the low quality charger and battery but as Roger said, it may not be worth investing more money into that purchase unless you can try a different battery.

How are you at soldering?  If you can do basic soldering to change the plugs then its worth getting a Li-Po battery and charger to try because you'll also be able to use them with any other rifles you buy (assuming they fit)

If your son really likes AKs I would recommend this one as a starter.

https://bbguns4less.co.uk/products/cyma-cm522-ak47-with-full-stock-in-blue.html

There would normally be other cheaper options but unfortunately there's a national stock shortage at the moment which will likely last into the next year.

Is he set on an AK type?

THIS or THIS are the cheapest available alternatives.

Or a spring sniper rifle which doesn't need batteries at all. https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-two-tone-sniper-rifles

Pulling the cocking handle back does take some effort so only really suitable for ages 12 and up I would guess.

(Make sure to select a 'Two Tone' colour option when ordering)

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters
45 minutes ago, EDcase said:

Out of curiosity, did you get a black one or was part of it in a bright colour?  (Legally it should be half painted red, green or blue)

At least half:

• transparent
  • bright red
  • bright orange
  • bright blue
  • bright yellow
  • bright green
  • bright pink
  • bright purple

AirsoftWorld likely don't care, they're the chancers who will sell you a bogus "cosplay" defence just so that they can pretend to accept it.

Hi All

Thanks for the replies; it is a two-tone for a start... so thats all good. Half of it is blue.

On the charger front, I've attached some pictures; you'll see the connectors - and also the larger 700mah battery that came with the gun, then the 'replacement' I got sent that still doesn't make the gun work.... which leads me to thinking is the charger. I bought a multimeter and the batteries show voltage... the charger doesn't when plugged in - but not sure if thats only because it outputs stuff when something is pulling on in it.

I could solder a tamiya connector on both ends, locate a tamiya-style charger and do all of that... just 'should I'... is the question...

I will most likely get my son a replacement - theres a couple from Patrolbase I was looking at either the CM033 Thomson AEG or the DoubleBell Kar98 spring rifle...

Any other recommendations? Just annoying that you buy something... it stops working after 6 weeks with very little use and the retailer after a lot of pushing sent a battery that wasn't the same and then after that has basically given up. Very frustrating. Won't be using them ever again.

With those photos if anyone has a charger they don't use anymore and are willing to part with it... let me know

IMG_5828.jpeg

IMG_5802.jpeg

Looks like an old RC connector.  Doubt you'll find one to be honest.  Also those batteries have different chemistries, one is Ni-Cd (Nickel Cadmium) and the other is Ni-Mh (Nickel Metal Hydride) You could use the same charger but its not recommended as they would charge at different rates so the charge time would be different.

Yes, there is a jump from the very low quality plastic throw away ones to half decent and reliable ones.  A bit of research is always recommended before any purchases.

You really should get a 7.2v Li-Po battery and decent charger then fit Deans connectors to everything.  You'll be able to use that battery with any gun after that.

The CM033 is very good (I have one) Not as heavy as the real thing of course but a good weight to it and shoots very well.

I've heard the Double Bell Kar98K is also very good.  Repeated bolt pull might be a strain for a young one depending on age but its arguably more satisfying than just pulling the trigger repeatedly with an electric one like the CM033.  Then again, the CM033 has full auto which is also fun.

Whatever you get, make sure to clean the barrel before using a new gun.  (It really can make a difference to the performance)

Edited by EDcase

• Supporters
5 hours ago, JasonKerner said:

I could solder a tamiya connector on both ends, locate a tamiya-style charger and do all of that... just 'should I'... is the question...

Tamiy and Mini-Tamiya can be fitted just with just cut-strip-and-crimping, no soldering required. I suspect that's one reason why they're still commonly used over Deans or XT-60.

I will most likely get my son a replacement - theres a couple from Patrolbase I was looking at either the CM033 Thomson AEG or the DoubleBell Kar98 spring rifle...

What's it for?  Target plinking, or airsoft skirmishing?  The Thomson would be skirmishable, although I'd want to get the energy a bit higher, and finding more magazines might be an issue at the moment.

The Kar98 shell ejector is a target plinker only, it'd likely be great fun for that, but with 5 shots, easily lost, I wouldn't take it out on an airsoft field except for pose value.  Any bolt action sniper is a poor choice as a first-or-only gun, as snipers are generally built, not bought, and you'll need a secondary as well for close range.

Any other recommendations?

See if you can find a fuse and check, replace, or bin it off.

If the batteries have charge, you should be able to hear some sort of response from the motor, even if it's just complaining.  Airsoft guns are also prone to locking up, where the spring is pulled almost all the way back but not released, then the motor lacks the startup torque to pull it the rest of the way.  When motors stall out like that they pull a lot of power, so you may be able to feel the wires, grip, and/or battery heating up if you pull the trigger - this is also a good way to pop the fuse or burn things out, so I wouldn't recommend doing much of it.

If it has locked up, you can (in an ideal wold) sort it with a freshly charged or higher voltage or C rated battery, or if not, have to disassemble it and manipulate the anti-reversal latch - I keep a bent kirby grip in my toolbox for this.  Sorry, I have no idea about the disassembly procedure for that model, although YouTube might provide some hints.  The unlocking should be something like this.

The other way to unlock a gearbox, which will have Reddit gasping in horror, is to get it apart far enough to access the gearbox nozzle, then shove a long Allan key or screwdriver up it and push the piston back yourself far enough so that it completes the cycle, being aware that it will then eject the tool forcibly, and you should of course never, ever try this (I've done it a few times).

The other possibility is simply a bad wiring connection somewhere, which you'll have to track-and-trace with your multimeter, starting at battery and motor ends and working towards the trigger.  If you do have a (plastic) V3 style gearbox then all to the best as trigger contacts tend to be external rather than internal. Again, YouTube will provide, you're looking for "V3 gearbox trigger contacts" or similar.

Sorry to be so long winded and vague, most airsoft gun issues are easy to fix, but take some time to diagnose, and are tricky to guess remotely without actually going hands on.

If you're intending to stick with airsoft, you might want to view the CM.022 as a cheap way to learn some teching.  Many of us have a project gun that we keep around just for tinkering and larks.

1 hour ago, EDcase said:

Ni-Cd (Nickel Cadmium)

Holy heck, I missed that.  I thought the last exemptions for those were long since phased out.

Yeh avoid the Double Bell K98k, if you want a spring K98k try the Snow Wolf one, its decent and cheapish in both plastic and wood bodies https://gunfire.com/en/products/sw-022-kar98-rifle-replica-1152224414.html https://gunfire.com/en/products/replika-karabinu-wyborowego-s-t-kar98k-old-wood-1152231291.html.  Can't comment on the CYMA Thompson.

Link to the Taiwangun CYMA Page here https://www.taiwangun.com/carbines-rifles/0,cyma .  They arent shipping to the UK currently but apparently will be again soon.  The Arcturus range of AKs is a bit more pricey but excellent guns as well......

On 01/12/2021 at 07:20, JasonKerner said:

Heads up on the Thompson the ergonomics are not good, the Stock is not really good for shorter/small people (the guns designer was a tall man) 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.