Battery / cabling woes - any ideas?

RostokMcSpoons

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

38 minutes ago, Rogerborg said:

That's what I use, or a rebranded equivalent.  Works for me, and had a decent variety of tips.  That's a decent price for that whole package, everything you need to get going, although a set of helping hands... helps.

Yes, that should be good enough.

Temperature controlled irons are much better as you can bering the melt temperature up to the point that you are heating the solder, wetting the joints and then creating a solid joint.

Unregulated solder irons can cook off the flux too fast as part of the process of flux is to be heated to errode and clean the dirt and allow the solder joint to wet properly.

I used to use an unregulated iron and it was the source of many a dry joint or improper wetting, they are fine for large parts that are going to sink a lot of heat and where joints are not PCB based or on thin wires.

1 hour ago, Rogerborg said:

That's what I use, or a rebranded equivalent.  Works for me, and had a decent variety of tips.  That's a decent price for that whole package, everything you need to get going, although a set of helping hands... helps.

Excellent.  I'll order it.
I looked for some helping hands but mostly at the cheap end of the spectrum there are plenty of "it's rubbish" type of reviews, so didn't bother.  I bodged something with a small vice, and a lump of wood and some blu-tack when I was doing this previously.  Not great but better than stuff just loose on my desk :)

49 minutes ago, ImTriggerHappy said:

Best all round soldering iron you can get is one of these

https://www.tooled-up.com/weller-8100udk-expert-soldering-gun-kit/prod/12425/https://www.tooled-up.com/weller-8100udk-expert-soldering-gun-kit/prod/12425/

I never use my full soldering station anymore as these are so good.

Yowzers, 6 secs 0-60!  Speedy!   
It's a bit pricey for me though, I think I'll stick with life in the bus lane :D

3 hours ago, AirSniper said:

Dip your tip in the rosin and then the cleaner and a nice clean tip....

image.png.9d30e3941982b0a3bc0d56699fe1d3d0.png

I'm not sticking my tip in there for anyone!

1 hour ago, AirSniper said:

improper wetting

image.png.00aa73aac3f2aa395fbd4fd392bc995f.png

Yub yub kersnip!

On a slightly more serious note, I got a new set of connector leads for my charger (to dodge my dodgy soldering on the original set).  As I used the Titan it a little on Sunday, I decided to top it up.  I expected a good few minutes of charging to do that, so when it took *seconds* I suspected the worst.
I got my battery monitor on it, and sent the readings off to Titan to confirm its charged and healthy.  They replied very quickly.  With S1 = 4.20v and S2 = 4.21v, I'm (allegedly) "fine and dandy".   Which means the two or three hundred bb's it powered on Sunday were merely scraping the icing off a big 3000mAH cake!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

• 2 weeks later...
On 23/11/2021 at 15:11, Rogerborg said:

.... a set of helping hands... helps.

Yes, great idea to have some.

I do advise you look in your local tool shop as I found out after buying one from China for £15.95 that the local tool shop sold exactly the same thing for £9.99, so instead of waiting 3 weeks for it, I could have picked one up locally instantly...

Just yesterday a pair of hands turned up.  Luckily not in a "what's in the box" sort of style ;)

I bought the cheapest ones on Amazon, which do happen to be 'Rolston' branded.  £9

They're errrr.... ummmm ... .... ... 'OK'-ish?

Very light weight but I'm not averse to using a little G clamp or big lump of blu-tack to immobilising it/them.  But the butterfly nuts to clamp the arms in place... only really work with a pair of pliers for leverage.  Not sure they'll stand up to much as they're a bit flimsy.   However I'll reserve judgement for when I do some more soldering.  At least they were dirt-cheap!

Edited by RostokMcSpoons

Did they come with a 🔎?

Yup!

Rolson Tools 60335 Heavy Duty Helping Hand with 60 mm Magnifying Glass (packaging may vary) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001BMSBD4/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_H1D6WYR3QWARNZH913KQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.