Looking for tips for first AEG Build - G&G AEG DMR Build Concept v2

LzChase

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I've always been looking for realism but in the end, a gas gun simply isn't reliable as a DMR in a country with a cold climate due to the inconsistent FPS. I therefore look switch from GBBR to build an AEG-based variant instead. The picture shows a concept of how I want the gun, a G&G Knight's Armament SR25 E2 APC M-LOK, to look when the build is finished.

I have never worked with AEGs before other than switching from a plastic to a metal receiver on a CYMA AK, so I have absolutely no idea what I am doing and I wish to not ruin a brand new 600€ Rifle - Yes, That is it's cheapest price where I live.

I'm looking to make the gearbox as quiet as possible with a quick trigger response and clocking the FPS around 425. People I have talked to mention "Gearbox Shimming". I have no idea how this is done or how hard it is.

Finally, Since I'll be running a CTR Stock I wish to know if there are Ni-MH batteries that are small enough to fit in the buffer tube as I'd prefer Ni-MH over LiPo due to their ability to be stored with 100% Charge. If I need to use a LiPo battery after all I would like some tips on safety because I clearly remember the day a teammate's stock suddenly turned into a smoke grenade and then proceeded to be on fire for the following 2 minutes.

Namnlös.png

Edited by LzChase

• Supporters

how quiet do you want?

there's only so much quiet you can get out of an aeg, especially an AR variant with a tight fitting body (as opposed to a chunky bullpup body you can fill with foam)

if HPA is a viable option for you (ie you can get refills) then that may be an avenue worth contemplating, as it'll deal with your quietness and snappy response requirements in one (comparatively speaking) easy step.

It doesn't have to be quiet as a sneaker wearing sneakers, I mainly want to get rid of as much of the motor whine as possible to have it go "POP" rather than "VZZT"

I've ran a HPA belonging to a friend long ago, I'm not really a fan of hauling around the air tank, so I'd rather stick with AEG.

1 hour ago, LzChase said:

It doesn't have to be quiet as a sneaker wearing sneakers, I mainly want to get rid of as much of the motor whine as possible to have it go "POP" rather than "VZZT"

I've ran a HPA belonging to a friend long ago, I'm not really a fan of hauling around the air tank, so I'd rather stick with AEG.

I think it should go 'phut' rather than 'pop'. 🤔

• Supporters
2 hours ago, LzChase said:

fair enough, as long as it's not mouse-fart levels of silence required then aeg can do the job, although admittedly it makes getting setup a bit trickier.

tbh, i'd start with working on the usual accuracy areas- good ammo, good hop/barrel, get the air seal as good as possible, then worry about getting the energy dialed in once you're sure that any stronger spring isn't wasted sending air anywhere but behind the bb.

in terms of gear noise, a good shim job will definitely go a long way to do that. the process isn't so much difficult as it is laborious once you get the hang of the process, plenty of guides out there on yt and such.

for trigger response, well assuming we're talking locked to, or predominantly used in (i'm assuming you're eu based by the sounds of it) semi auto then the best starting point is a mosfet with precoking, followed up by a motor with some decent pickup speed. that'll do a lot for the "feel" in semi auto. how you go about that kinda depends on your budget and how much you want to mess around with, for example, rewiring.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.