G&G Wildhog 12" upgrades ?

karlos103

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

6 minutes ago, karlos103 said:

Hi all ...new to airsofting and had this gun a week now ...and was wondering ...what upgrades people recommended ?

Had upgrade barrel fitted already.

Any help most appreciated

Karl

Use it for a while and work out what you want to improve.  Then ask what people recommend to meet your requirements.

Hi and welcome to airsoft!

’Upgrading’ an airsoft gun isn’t black and white, as above you need to figure if and what you need to upgrade.

No 2 guns are the same.

First off get yourself a chrono, some targets and a place you can target shoot, ideally upto 60M but 30 will work.

Use the chrono to check for shot FPS/power consistency.

Once you know the FPS you can select a better BB weight.

Use the targets to tube your hop, work out how tight your groupings are, what your max range is and your effective range.

Once you have this ‘benchmark’ you can make changes and see if it has genuinely improved your gun, because most upgrades end up being downgrades 

• Supporters

as davegolf put so well you really want to be using it for a while before thinking of making changes.

you need to have clear objectives in terms of what the gun is/isn't doing within the realms of how you use it.

for example i could list a bunch of stuff that would improve range/accuracy but if you're playstyle has you constantly up close and personal then it'd be wasted effort.

the cheapest "upgrades" that are pretty much universally applicable are keep the barrel clean- at least before every game day you want to be making sure its spotless. the other thing is to be using good quality ammo, best gun in the world will shoot like shit if you're giving it bad food.

The only upgrade I would put on the gun (you've already changed the barrel) is a Perun ETU++, as the stock one (depending on version) can be finicky with batteries.

Otherwise, leave it well alone and get out and play instead.

Personally, until you've played a few times with the gun to get a feel for it, I'd be looking at things to improve your accuracy and overall enjoyment of playing etc.

For example...

# Do you have a red dot sight of any sort for quick and easy targeting?

# Do you have a sling so that you're not carrying it around the whole time tiring out your arms?

# What weight of BB are you using?

... all which are things that can potentially make you more effective and don't involve any internal modification of your gun. Also with such a long gun I'm assuming you play outdoors so maybe consider other "non gun" additions that improve things for you, for example one of my best purchases were decent Alta Industries knee pads that allow me to drop to my knees quickly and stay like that for however long I want (I'm becoming very useful now at my home site spending ages low down behind hardcover).

Thanks for all your input ..most appreciated.

Yes i will use it for a while to see how it is ....just thinkinh of future upgrades lol.

I have a red dot site on it already ...and also a sling .

I have trouser with knee pads of already ahead of you lol 🙂

Now as for the Perun ETU++..i was looking into that but they also do a hybrid version ...would this be a better option as that also removes the mosfet board from the stock , so batteries fit easier.

I have a chronograph so any changes can be checked ...like the barrel i just had done ...rounghly 346 fps ....0.20g BB ...with 0.25g BB im getting 310fps.....and made sure to use good quality BB's 😉

Many thanks for your help

Karl

• Supporters
Just now, karlos103 said:

rounghly 346 fps ....0.20g BB

the roughly is worth putting a number to, fps variation is a good way of checking the quality of the air seal. eg if you're getting all your shots in a sub 5fps window then you know it's decent enough (unless your a perfectionist in which case reduce that window as required)

this can be seen when shooting in vertical dispersion- shots going high/low, you'll know from playing whether or not this is a big enough issue to affect you.

as a general rule it's recommended not to go undertaking any major internal work without a backup gun, as someone who didn't heed that advice i can assure you the walk of shame with a broken pew gets old the tenth time you've done it.

yes i will see how goes when play end of month ...but will have a play about at work with it ( big open bit of land fenced off ) ..as have some targets i can set up .

I know what you mean about doing any big jobs ...i will invest in a spare gun first before doing anything like that.

Many thanks again.

Karl 🙂

2 hours ago, karlos103 said:

Now as for the Perun ETU++..i was looking into that but they also do a hybrid version ...would this be a better option as that also removes the mosfet board from the stock , so batteries fit easier.

Installing a Hybrid involves opening the Gearbox, the ETU is plug and play and gives you a lot of the functionality. It's actually a bit smaller than the stock ETU Mosfet.

If battery space is a concern, stick a PTS EPS stock it. Tonnes of room for various batteries and the Mosfet unit. 

15 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Installing a Hybrid involves opening the Gearbox, the ETU is plug and play and gives you a lot of the functionality. It's actually a bit smaller than the stock ETU Mosfet.

If battery space is a concern, stick a PTS EPS stock it. Tonnes of room for various batteries and the Mosfet unit. 

I will have a look at that ...many thanks

Just had look at those stocks ...think i would be better off spending the money on the perun v2 hybrid lol ...stocks are £50 ....hybrid is £69 ..lol.

Taking gearbox appart is no problem for me ...used to stripping things down and rebuilding them.

Think this will be a future upgrade.

cheers

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.