Valken Nimh Smart Charger

ReySkywalker

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi, I recently changed my tamiya mini connectors on my AEG and two NiMH batteries, 

the charger states that solid red indicates charging. 

when I plug the batteries into the charger they flash red, so the battery connection is mini tamiya going through to a deans adapter then onto the deans connection on the batteries.. 

I followed a pretty solid guide on how to convert these ie don't cut both wires together etc. Both batteries worked fine after converting them as they still had charge. 

one is completely flat now therefore I come to charge and I'm getting nothing but flashing red. 

when I plug another completely different battery in with a mini tamiya connection on it it charges perfectly. 

I've also voltage tested both batteries and they have around 8-9v in them. 

anyone have ideas as to why my deans connection batteries won't charge ?

thanks 

IMG_20210312_150119.jpg

IMG_20210312_145956.jpg

IMG_20210312_150928.jpg

• Supporters

Wild stab in the dark you have a dry joint in your soldering. Also - get a better charger (that's not to solve the problem you have just yours is a cheap POS).

I believe you have the wrong polarity on the Tamiya end of your adaptor loom.

Look at your first picture and the red positive connection is going into the right side and on the second picture with the adaptor it is on the left.

James

2 hours ago, Piman said:

Look at your first picture and the red positive connection is going into the right side and on the second picture with the adaptor it is on the left.

James

You beat me to it!  The cables in the extension lead are connected to the wrong terminals of the Tamiya connector.

The OP really should get a decent charger.

Edited by colinjallen

19 hours ago, Piman said:

James

Haha only just noticed that, I'll double check when I'm back. Cheers mate 

17 hours ago, colinjallen said:

You beat me to it!  The cables in the extension lead are connected to the wrong terminals of the Tamiya connector.

The OP really should get a decent charger.

I mean feel free to share you're experience or infact a "decent" charger. It's all good saying something is shite but then recommending nothing. 

18 minutes ago, ReySkywalker said:

Haha only just noticed that, I'll double check when I'm back. Cheers mate 

I mean feel free to share you're experience or infact a "decent" charger. It's all good saying something is shite but then recommending nothing. 

Ooh, a salty one!

Turnigy Accucel 6 or an IMAX B6.

1 minute ago, colinjallen said:

Ooh, a salty one!

Turnigy Accucel 6 or an IMAX B6.

Not really mate, I imagine it annoys a lot of people. It's like me going to a customer suggesting their boiler is a pile of shit and not recommending anything superior. 

But on another note thanks for the recommendation 👍

1 hour ago, ReySkywalker said:

Not really mate, I imagine it annoys a lot of people. It's like me going to a customer suggesting their boiler is a pile of shit and not recommending anything superior. 

But on another note thanks for the recommendation 👍

One other recommendation would be to ditch the NiMHs and move to LiPos; they are so much better than NiMHs.

33 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

Oh FFS no. SkyRC S65 - better for less money.

On another note - I feel slightly triggered by your username @ReySkywalker. Surely it should be Rey Palpatine...😜

The SkyRC S65 is a very good charger; however, is it really better?  Personally, I am not keen on the IMAX but many, many people rate it.

1 hour ago, colinjallen said:

The SkyRC S65 is a very good charger; however, is it really better?  Personally, I am not keen on the IMAX but many, many people rate it.

The balance logic is better for starters.

In the interest of fairness - there are newer versions of the B6 too, notably the new (unreleased) B6EVO, however it's generally the original version (and more likely the numerous cheap knockoff clones) that seem to be readily available on the likes of Amazon and eBay. Right now, you can buy an 'Imax' B6AC for £25 to £27 on eBay. The word 'genuine' appears nowhere in the listings and most are inferior clones. A genuine unit, from a reputable UK retailer, can cost over £40 for the AC version. Or you can pay £32 for the S65. I'll take the S65 thanks. 😉

1 hour ago, colinjallen said:

Yes. The technology in the IMAX is over a decade old. I know we don't like to do leading edge in airsoft but at least there are pleanty of modern charges to choose from. 

12 hours ago, Speedbird_666 said:

The balance logic is better for starters.

In the interest of fairness - there are newer versions of the B6 too, notably the new (unreleased) B6EVO, however it's generally the original version (and more likely the numerous cheap knockoff clones) that seem to be readily available on the likes of Amazon and eBay. Right now, you can buy an 'Imax' B6AC for £25 to £27 on eBay. The word 'genuine' appears nowhere in the listings and most are inferior clones. A genuine unit, from a reputable UK retailer, can cost over £40 for the AC version. Or you can pay £32 for the S65. I'll take the S65 thanks. 😉

I am going to get one to try; I will be interested to see how it is better at charging batteries, which is all that I want it to do.

56 minutes ago, colinjallen said:

I am going to get one to try; I will be interested to see how it is better at charging batteries, which is all that I want it to do.

You won't really see the real benefit right away. What a better charger will give you is more reliability and better battery life. That can often be clouded by the fact that the batteries themselves will vary wildly in quality. Unfortunately, no matter how much the marketing departments like to make you think that their premium brands are so much better than anything else, we only get the leftovers in the hobby industry when it comes to batteries. The best goes to the likes of military applications, with the next band going to commercial applications. The remainder is then sold off to us with airsoft being quite low even in that category.

James

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.