Hi From Yorkshire

Jamie33

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All,

I've always wanted to start airsoft but I don't know anybody that goes ha ha.....

Do many people actually go on their own?

I am from Yorkshire and it look like they are quite a few good sites around here.

Also does anybody have any good experiences with the Nurprol M4 defender for a starter gun?

Thank you

Hi @Jamie33! 👋

Welcome to the forum, full of advice and like minded players! 🔫🤪👍

Good luck getting started, when it is safe, got a channel mentioning a few basics for beginners? 🤔👍

I started on my own, friends weren’t interested, had a Great time, nervous yes, but people are welcoming on both sides, just don’t be a bad player!!!! 
Before you know it you will fit right in! 🔫😎👍

💷GAMBLE💷

Aye up bud,

Avoid the nuprol. They have a microswitch trigger but they don't protect it with a mosfet. Pretty much means if you don't add a mosfet with a rewire then it's the trigger that will fail, and that can be accelerated with lipo batteries that are almost industry standard.

Brands to look at would be:

JG, G&G, Specna Arms, Cyma.

Metal bodies are generally better than plastic  ones, but the G&G CM Raider is a well respected plastic bodied gun.

Gearbox wise, Basic triggers have less issues than ETU triggers - And don't suffer with electronic failures, For a beginner gun you want either a basic trigger, or a basic trigger with mosfet protection. Anything more than that is an added cost and that money is better spent on getting the rest of your gear sorted.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-cm16-carbine?pv=5071

As for playing in Yorkshire it'll depend on your location, Yorkshire is pretty big :D. I live in Coventry now but come from York. There might be more sites locally if you give your nearest City.

If you have not done so already, Or have never looked into playing and owning/buying an airsoft gun you might want to have a look through the UKARA rules.

Loads of airsofters will go on their own. Once you get chatting you'll  probably find everyone very friendly. Ask about the guns but don't touch unless you ask. Generally most airsofters think they have the best gear in the world, and love showing it off. Equally were all pretty invested in our gear and absolutely hate people just picking stuff up. So just like with any hobby talk and ask questions, even ask for a shoot.. The very worst someone will say is no.

Listen to the site marshalls, Ask a million questions, If they know you are new and alone most marshalls will help you a fair bit and give good advice on where to go on site, or who to talk to... They also generally keep all the hires together in a group, so even tho you might be alone, there is a good chance there will be a small group of hires that you will be a part of from the get go. Take sweets - Bribes work well, And take drinks because even if the site provides them you'll need a drink on the way home.

Hi and welcome @Jamie33

As @GAMBLEsaid I started on my own with rental gear. Went one evening after work. Just had t shirt and shorts. This was at the ucap bunkers nr Portsmouth.

Went in a fairly handsome chap but came out like i had developed leprosy! People at work next day thought I had been in a car accident lol.

but the point is I had a great time and I learnt quickly with the help of the veterans.

Have never looked back.

Still look like a lepor most times though lol.

Have fun.

Regards 

On 21/02/2021 at 13:15, GAMBLE said:

Hi @Jamie33! 👋

Welcome to the forum, full of advice and like minded players! 🔫🤪👍

Good luck getting started, when it is safe, got a channel mentioning a few basics for beginners? 🤔👍

I started on my own, friends weren’t interested, had a Great time, nervous yes, but people are welcoming on both sides, just don’t be a bad player!!!! 
Before you know it you will fit right in! 🔫😎👍

💷GAMBLE💷

Hi. Thanks for this.....can't wait to get started. 👍

On 21/02/2021 at 14:26, Iceni said:

Aye up bud,

Avoid the nuprol. They have a microswitch trigger but they don't protect it with a mosfet. Pretty much means if you don't add a mosfet with a rewire then it's the trigger that will fail, and that can be accelerated with lipo batteries that are almost industry standard.

Brands to look at would be:

JG, G&G, Specna Arms, Cyma.

Metal bodies are generally better than plastic  ones, but the G&G CM Raider is a well respected plastic bodied gun.

Gearbox wise, Basic triggers have less issues than ETU triggers - And don't suffer with electronic failures, For a beginner gun you want either a basic trigger, or a basic trigger with mosfet protection. Anything more than that is an added cost and that money is better spent on getting the rest of your gear sorted.

https://www.patrolbase.co.uk/g-and-g-armament-combat-machine-cm16-carbine?pv=5071

As for playing in Yorkshire it'll depend on your location, Yorkshire is pretty big :D. I live in Coventry now but come from York. There might be more sites locally if you give your nearest City.

If you have not done so already, Or have never looked into playing and owning/buying an airsoft gun you might want to have a look through the UKARA rules.

Loads of airsofters will go on their own. Once you get chatting you'll  probably find everyone very friendly. Ask about the guns but don't touch unless you ask. Generally most airsofters think they have the best gear in the world, and love showing it off. Equally were all pretty invested in our gear and absolutely hate people just picking stuff up. So just like with any hobby talk and ask questions, even ask for a shoot.. The very worst someone will say is no.

Listen to the site marshalls, Ask a million questions, If they know you are new and alone most marshalls will help you a fair bit and give good advice on where to go on site, or who to talk to... They also generally keep all the hires together in a group, so even tho you might be alone, there is a good chance there will be a small group of hires that you will be a part of from the get go. Take sweets - Bribes work well, And take drinks because even if the site provides them you'll need a drink on the way home.

Great. Thanks for this. Will have a look on patrol base website now 👍

Yeah York not far from me actually, great night out though ha ha.

Thanks again.

On 21/02/2021 at 17:53, Shamal said:

Hi and welcome @Jamie33

As @GAMBLEsaid I started on my own with rental gear. Went one evening after work. Just had t shirt and shorts. This was at the ucap bunkers nr Portsmouth.

Went in a fairly handsome chap but came out like i had developed leprosy! People at work next day thought I had been in a car accident lol.

but the point is I had a great time and I learnt quickly with the help of the veterans.

Have never looked back.

Still look like a lepor most times though lol.

Have fun.

Regards 

Hi, yeah I bet you looked bad ha ha. Appreciate the info. 👍

1 hour ago, Jamie33 said:

Great. Thanks for this. Will have a look on patrol base website now

Not a problem, I think there's a site that runs in Driffield, Not sure if it runs regular games or even if it's closed now  but it might end up been your closest if it's still running.

https://hqairsoft.co.uk/

The other local sites probably been Otley, Leeds and Topcliffe.

Patrol base is a reasonable store, but if you shop around you can probably find better prices. Certainly look at army surplus for your clothing. DPM and MTP can be had cheap if you are just looking at a BDU, Shirt and Trousers. Once you start to look at webbing and tactical equipment DPM is pretty much always cheaper than MTP.

For batteries and chargers ect have a look on Hobbyking. Just be warned - Tamiya and mini tamiya battery connectors in arsoft are wired backwards. So if you are looking to buy batteries make sure there airsoft ones and not for other hobbies. Hobbyking have a dedicated airsoft section (it's in the lifestyle tab). Chargers are all the same (we just swap the charge leads over on the charger if it's needed). You'll pay about half of what patrolbase want for the same batteries.

Read up on lipo safety if you go that route, but typically using 2 batteries and swapping at lunch is good practice to stay safe.

M4's will generally want a battery that looks like this.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-2000mah-2s-15-25c-lipo-airsoft-pack-1.html?queryID=&objectID=31062&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

And a charger for those will look like this.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6ac-v2-professional-balance-charger-discharger-uk-plug.html?queryID=&objectID=74217&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products_hbk_price_stock_1_group_0_asc

It'll also need an adapter for the charge leads.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/mini-tamiya-to-t-connector-battery-adapter-2pcs-bag.html?queryID=&objectID=27753&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

So you'll have that cost to add to any gun - but once you have it batteries and chargers will last years if you take good care of them. And you will want to get batteries, and charger at the same time as the gun and some ammo (ASG blaster 0.25g or similar) so you can have a play.

It gives a typical outlay of:

Gun £125-150
Clothing (not essential) £40
Batteries £20
Charger £35
Ammo £10

So at the very least £200 ish.

13 minutes ago, Iceni said:

Not a problem, I think there's a site that runs in Driffield, Not sure if it runs regular games or even if it's closed now  but it might end up been your closest if it's still running.

https://hqairsoft.co.uk/

The other local sites probably been Otley, Leeds and Topcliffe.

Patrol base is a reasonable store, but if you shop around you can probably find better prices. Certainly look at army surplus for your clothing. DPM and MTP can be had cheap if you are just looking at a BDU, Shirt and Trousers. Once you start to look at webbing and tactical equipment DPM is pretty much always cheaper than MTP.

For batteries and chargers ect have a look on Hobbyking. Just be warned - Tamiya and mini tamiya battery connectors in arsoft are wired backwards. So if you are looking to buy batteries make sure there airsoft ones and not for other hobbies. Hobbyking have a dedicated airsoft section (it's in the lifestyle tab). Chargers are all the same (we just swap the charge leads over on the charger if it's needed). You'll pay about half of what patrolbase want for the same batteries.

Read up on lipo safety if you go that route, but typically using 2 batteries and swapping at lunch is good practice to stay safe.

M4's will generally want a battery that looks like this.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-nano-tech-2000mah-2s-15-25c-lipo-airsoft-pack-1.html?queryID=&objectID=31062&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

And a charger for those will look like this.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/imax-b6ac-v2-professional-balance-charger-discharger-uk-plug.html?queryID=&objectID=74217&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products_hbk_price_stock_1_group_0_asc

It'll also need an adapter for the charge leads.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/mini-tamiya-to-t-connector-battery-adapter-2pcs-bag.html?queryID=&objectID=27753&indexName=hbk_live_magento_en_us_products

So you'll have that cost to add to any gun - but once you have it batteries and chargers will last years if you take good care of them. And you will want to get batteries, and charger at the same time as the gun and some ammo (ASG blaster 0.25g or similar) so you can have a play.

It gives a typical outlay of:

Gun £125-150
Clothing (not essential) £40
Batteries £20
Charger £35
Ammo £10

So at the very least £200 ish.

Absolute legend, thank you. Appreciate this pal.

• Head Moderator

Welcome :).

As said, don't worry about going on your own and just wear anything that you don't mind throwing away afterwards 😆

Good boots and eye protection are the main things to get right at the start.  (There's lots of info to search on 'Eye pro')

Don't take it too seriously and you'll have fun

Recommended manufacturers would be: JG, CYMA, Specna Arms 'Edge' 

Hi @Jamie33! 👋

A good choice to start with, two tone, up to you? 🔫🤔

💷GAMBLE💷

Hi @Jamie33! 👋

Good luck getting into it, hopefully soon! 🤞👍 

Up to you what you do with two tone, but check on here about it? 🔫🤔

My own opinion, rent, get your UKARA,  then don’t have to worry about two tone, saving 💷! 🤔

💷GAMBLE💷

4 hours ago, Jamie33 said:

...What do people think of the below M4?

Thank you

CYMA - CM.621 M4 KeyMod Airsoft Rifle (patrolbase.co.uk)

Its OK but you can get better value guns when stocks go back up.

I know its difficult to resist having a pewpew now but as Gamble said, its worth waiting until you play 3 games to get UKARA registered and able to buy a realistic one.

If you get a two tone now it won't be long before you have UKARA.  Then you'll want to get rid of it and loose more than half the value because nobody wants one.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.