Spartan09s Planned Charlton GBB Project

Spartan09

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

starting a new thread, after clogging the "what have you built" thread with some chatter between myself and @Adolf Hamster.

as the title suggests, this thread is about my plans to make a GBB Charlton LMG.

ZNTBU64PNFG2DKBPAELTVBC6XQ.jpg
any advice on modding/ remaking GBB guns would be much appreciated.  updates to this thread will likely be in the distant future, as due to lockdown boredom spending, i dont have a lot of funds spare at the moment to dedicate to the project

so far i have identified some real-steel lee-enfield stocks, trigger guards and sights that i could buy to add to the gun. 

You'll want something that is as drop in as possible that the Frame can be built around. A small SMG or full auto pistol rather than M4/ak unless you got the cad skills to design a new housing. Actually a kjw Ruger 10/22 might be a shout as they can be modded to full auto and higher capacity mags have just be released.

• Supporters

y'know looking at that picture again, the gas tube looks a bit thin for my original plan of having the reservoire in there.

so maybe we're back to square 1 in terms of thinking about something like an m14 action.

• Supporters

What can I say ? 

6A6FCBC1-B629-4832-B2ED-5CC685DFF165.jpeg

I have nothing to contribute to this project by way of suggestions or ideas, I am just going to lurk and wait for a video of it in operation once it is finished. 

12 hours ago, Druid799 said:

What can I say ? 

6A6FCBC1-B629-4832-B2ED-5CC685DFF165.jpeg

*doffs cap to you*
why thank you good sir

2 hours ago, DRay said:

I am just going to lurk and wait for a video of it in operation once it is finished. 

you may be waiting for quite some time, as it will take a lot of time and money to make this project work...   and i am short of both at the moment =P

• Supporters

hmm this is an interesting challenge, damnit you've got me staring at pictures on forgotten weapons trying to figure out how to do it.

i'm trying to think of ways to get gas routed into the external gas tube as that means building the cycling mechanism as-is. problem is i can't see a way of doing it that doesn't involve a very long travel time (which is gonna murder gas effeciency)

24 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

hmm this is an interesting challenge, damnit you've got me staring at pictures on forgotten weapons trying to figure out how to do it.

i'm trying to think of ways to get gas routed into the external gas tube as that means building the cycling mechanism as-is. problem is i can't see a way of doing it that doesn't involve a very long travel time (which is gonna murder gas effeciency)

thinking on the project a bit more, im wondering wether it would be better to try and run it as an HPA gun, with a line in through the stock or grip, and trying to run hi-cap AEG mags.

surely i can have the gas routed through the bolt as with an AK, and then just make the gas tube as a mock piece, but build the recoil and return springs inside it

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Spartan09 said:

thinking on the project a bit more, im wondering wether it would be better to try and run it as an HPA gun, with a line in through the stock or grip, and trying to run hi-cap AEG mags.

surely i can have the gas routed through the bolt as with an AK, and then just make the gas tube as a mock piece, but build the recoil and return springs inside it

i was thinking about something like that, afaik that's how the m14 does it (with a reversed "lockup" so it's the bolt actuating rather than the other way round) thing is it'd be effectively short stroked as with a fixed bolt protrusion like that it's gonna clip the reciever before the bolt has gone all the way back.

maybe a livable option though, you wouldn't notice when shooting and it would only show when racking it.

11 minutes ago, Adolf Hamster said:

i was thinking about something like that, afaik that's how the m14 does it (with a reversed "lockup" so it's the bolt actuating rather than the other way round) thing is it'd be effectively short stroked as with a fixed bolt protrusion like that it's gonna clip the reciever before the bolt has gone all the way back.

maybe a livable option though, you wouldn't notice when shooting and it would only show when racking it.

should be a fair compromise.

also, i decided to email Ian at forgotton weapons to see if he has, or knows anyone else that has more detailed measurements of the real steel that could help me start making some basic drawings and allow me to be able to compare those measurements to GBB AKs and M14s to work out wether its feasible to modify a base gun, or better to just try and make a gun from sratch

• Supporters

Only thing I would say if you are going down HPA route is please run it from the stock don’t have the hose from the grip , hose from the pistol grip is one the biggest turn offs about HPA To me and would really destroy the look of this awesome build to be . 👍 

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Druid799 said:

Only thing I would say if you are going down HPA route is please run it from the stock don’t have the hose from the grip , hose from the pistol grip is one the biggest turn offs about HPA To me and would really destroy the look of this awesome build to be . 👍 

agreed, tbh i'd be as much an advocate of staying green gas, no line and it's not like you'd expect this thing to be going toe to toe with everything on the field performance wise.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.