Two Tone

Dale Martin

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all 

I have some two tone airsoft guns and the colour paint is chipping off easily as it hasn't been prepped properly, can I re paint it myself with my own bright colour paint? 

I will need to strip first then prep and base coat, 

I shoot ipsc 3 gun stuff just for fun so tow tone is cool, 

Can I use quality paint and finish in a bright colour or dose it "have" be a low quality finish to conform 

Best regards 

• Supporters

afaik as long as the colours match the legal requirements for coverage it's ok [citation needed]

i vaguely recall some really nice "2-tone" guns that were painted up like something out of borderlands.

As Hamster said, you can paint a gun two tone without any issues regarding the Violent Crime Reduction Act as long as it’s a bright colour, such as red, blue, green, orange etc and not something that could be considered camouflage. The issues are when you paint a two tone gun black or some form of camouflage colour as under VCRA you’re actually creating a realistic imitation firearm. You shouldn’t have any issues repainting your gun.

• Supporters

the spirit of the vrca is that if some random bloke sees it they wont think it's a real gun because of the bright paint over 51% of the area.

certainly doing it properly with primer isn't going to be an issue.

Guest DrAlexanderTobacco

It's perfectly legal. It's also fine for you to paint the gun black if you wanted, as you possess a valid defense under the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006

Have fun!

32 minutes ago, DrAlexanderTobacco said:

It's perfectly legal. It's also fine for you to paint the gun black if you wanted, as you possess a valid defense under the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2006

Have fun!

Hi thanks for your reply, I actually don't have a ukara at the moment , I come from  an airgun background, I used to shoot at an outdoor air gun club <pre covid > I will be looking to join an action air club for 6mm in the future, I like race guns so bright colours are great as I'm not hiding in the woods skermishing, I think my concern and confusion stems form the fact that some airsoft guns come from the factory in bright tow tone with fantastic paint, mostly ipsc  style guns, do you need a ukara to buy those, I never asked that question to an airsoft dealer 

• Supporters

some of the *cough* "different tastes" *cough* of speedsofters/ipsc probably werent taken into account when they came up with the vrca.

i can only assume as long as the colours and coverage fulfil the criteria it should be fine. the reality is it's unlikely to raise eyebrows if you're being a responsible owner (keeping them out of the eyes of joe public)

7 hours ago, Dale Martin said:

Hi thanks for your reply, I actually don't have a ukara at the moment , I come from  an airgun background, I used to shoot at an outdoor air gun club <pre covid > I will be looking to join an action air club for 6mm in the future, I like race guns so bright colours are great as I'm not hiding in the woods skermishing, I think my concern and confusion stems form the fact that some airsoft guns come from the factory in bright tow tone with fantastic paint, mostly ipsc  style guns, do you need a ukara to buy those, I never asked that question to an airsoft dealer 

You don't need UKARA, that's just a scheme to help retailers determine if you're an airsofter or not. It's beneficial to have, but not a legal requirement.

If the imitation firearm is to be used for airsoft, then it can be painted black. If it's just to be hung on the wall or used in your garden then it needs to remain two tone.

You don't need UKARA or any other defence to purchase two tone coloured guns, you just need to be 18+.

It's done now lol I don't mind the tow tone it can look good, I have alot of replica "air guns" that don't have to be tow tone, many airguners  argue why that is, as many like the kwc manufactured ones are the same guns with a 4.5mm inner barrel, same architecture, I'm guessing it's because air guns are clast as actual weapons and have there own sub section and legal definition, some are replica some are not, but muzzle energy and ammunition type define them, or at least that is my guess, 

16102783510834111332043406121380.jpg

3 hours ago, Dale Martin said:

It's done now lol I don't mind the tow tone it can look good, I have alot of replica "air guns" that don't have to be tow tone, many airguners  argue why that is, as many like the kwc manufactured ones are the same guns with a 4.5mm inner barrel, same architecture, I'm guessing it's because air guns are clast as actual weapons and have there own sub section and legal definition, some are replica some are not, but muzzle energy and ammunition type define them, or at least that is my guess, 

16102783510834111332043406121380.jpg

Correct on airguns 

They are low power air weapons, and therefore are firearms not replicas 

• Supporters
15 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Nothing wrong with two tone. In fact that bright green on a Hi Capa style pistol looks very nice.

Its certainly a lot prettier than some of the combinations people put on their hicapas.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.