Gg Predator Mods

Trix

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

With regards hop up units, it's usually best to stick with the stock one unless you are having problems. If you choose to switch, the rotary models are very popular in M4 type platforms. Avoid prowins as the QC seems a bit iffy. 

In terms of Hop up rubbers the G&G green is one of the best. Your AEG probably has one in it already. If you want an alternative the Prometheus purple is a ever popular choice.  A large number of people swear by Maple leaf's offerings, have limited experience myself with them, so will leave it for some others to expand on. 

The barrel have a whole range of potential options. Cheap & cheerful would be a ZCI. Mid range would be a Lambda or a Prometheus model.  Top end would be a steel EDGI. Although with the latter you would be talking around $150, once shipping and customs have taken a toll. In contrast the ZCI would be £15.50 from AK2M4. 

How is the gun performing right now?

What areas do you feel it's lackluster in?

What is your goal?

Without these three questions answered, every thread that goes "omg need upgreid me gnu" is pointless.

Range and accuracy. Atm after few hours of playing its getting some range. The bbs are going up ad down been trying to to set the hop but it's not always perfect. Also looks like there is a tear on the rubber gun been used only 2 full days also on the second day bbs get stuck in the unit. 

1 hour ago, DerDer said:

With regards hop up units, it's usually best to stick with the stock one unless you are having problems. If you choose to switch, the rotary models are very popular in M4 type platforms. Avoid prowins as the QC seems a bit iffy. 

In terms of Hop up rubbers the G&G green is one of the best. Your AEG probably has one in it already. If you want an alternative the Prometheus purple is a ever popular choice.  A large number of people swear by Maple leaf's offerings, have limited experience myself with them, so will leave it for some others to expand on. 

The barrel have a whole range of potential options. Cheap & cheerful would be a ZCI. Mid range would be a Lambda or a Prometheus model.  Top end would be a steel EDGI. Although with the latter you would be talking around $150, once shipping and customs have taken a toll. In contrast the ZCI would be £15.50 from AK2M4. 

Cheers for that I'll definitely have a look

The other area is to look at the ammo you are feeding the gun. It can be the weak point of the system.

Best to try a few different weights and brands to find out what works best for you. 

7 minutes ago, Trix said:

Range and accuracy. Atm after few hours of playing its getting some range. The bbs are going up ad down been trying to to set the hop but it's not always perfect. Also looks like there is a tear on the rubber gun been used only 2 full days also on the second day bbs get stuck in the unit. 

Much better now :D

The first thing is bbs, you want to feed your gun the best BBs you can afford. 0.28/0.25g.

Then, you may want a better hop rubber and possibly a barrel, since the G&G ones are abysmal (they literally look like pressed tinfoil) along with a rotary hop unit if yours has the standard one with all the small cogs.

Addressing them in order:

• hop rubber: you could go down the Maple Leaf route, although some models require a bit of modification (Macarons in particular, they have long-ish feed lips that may cause misfeeds) OR go with a Prometheus Purple. Out of all the standard rubbers I've tried, it's the one that gave me the best results in terms of range, air seal and shot consistency. I tried the infamous G&G green rubber but I only had troubles with it (no air seal, kept jamming bbs, inconsistent backspin) so I don't recommend it anymore;

• barrel: as said above, the stock G&G barrels are shit, they are 6.08 ID which isn't a bad thing per se, but the finish is atrocious and they get scratched even without using them. I would just get a nice ZCI inner, they are made of steel and are surprisingly good for the price (check @ak2m4's website). Bore diametre is just for fine tuning the energy output, the most important thing is the inner finish. Brass barrels are easier to lap, but they aren't as durable as steel ones. Stay away from coated barrels.

• hop unit: this is where it gets tricky, there are two main styles of hop unit: standard and rotary. The standard one has a series of cog wheels, they are the older generation of units and tend to unwind themselves in addition to being rather inconsistent in applying pressure (this is due to the multiple elements in the system). The rotary units are much better in general, pressure is applied directly to the arm, resulting in a more consistent pressure and a more fine tuning of the hop. I wouldn't go with a metal unit as I have found that they give the most compatibility/alignment/fitment/feeding issues. A good base to start with would be a ZCI plastic unit, they are good for the price (€8) and are not a huge loss if they don't fit. Stay away from Prowin and Madbull units, they are expensive and shit quality. Maxx units seem to be good but are really expensive at €50+ and are reportedly picky with magazines.

Try replacing ONE component and test, then swap another part and test and so on.

So you get the grip on how each part impacts on the gun's performance ;)

7 hours ago, Skara said:

Much better now :D

The first thing is bbs, you want to feed your gun the best BBs you can afford. 0.28/0.25g.

Then, you may want a better hop rubber and possibly a barrel, since the G&G ones are abysmal (they literally look like pressed tinfoil) along with a rotary hop unit if yours has the standard one with all the small cogs.

Addressing them in order:

• hop rubber: you could go down the Maple Leaf route, although some models require a bit of modification (Macarons in particular, they have long-ish feed lips that may cause misfeeds) OR go with a Prometheus Purple. Out of all the standard rubbers I've tried, it's the one that gave me the best results in terms of range, air seal and shot consistency. I tried the infamous G&G green rubber but I only had troubles with it (no air seal, kept jamming bbs, inconsistent backspin) so I don't recommend it anymore;

• barrel: as said above, the stock G&G barrels are shit, they are 6.08 ID which isn't a bad thing per se, but the finish is atrocious and they get scratched even without using them. I would just get a nice ZCI inner, they are made of steel and are surprisingly good for the price (check @ak2m4's website). Bore diametre is just for fine tuning the energy output, the most important thing is the inner finish. Brass barrels are easier to lap, but they aren't as durable as steel ones. Stay away from coated barrels.

• hop unit: this is where it gets tricky, there are two main styles of hop unit: standard and rotary. The standard one has a series of cog wheels, they are the older generation of units and tend to unwind themselves in addition to being rather inconsistent in applying pressure (this is due to the multiple elements in the system). The rotary units are much better in general, pressure is applied directly to the arm, resulting in a more consistent pressure and a more fine tuning of the hop. I wouldn't go with a metal unit as I have found that they give the most compatibility/alignment/fitment/feeding issues. A good base to start with would be a ZCI plastic unit, they are good for the price (€8) and are not a huge loss if they don't fit. Stay away from Prowin and Madbull units, they are expensive and shit quality. Maxx units seem to be good but are really expensive at €50+ and are reportedly picky with magazines.

Try replacing ONE component and test, then swap another part and test and so on.

So you get the grip on how each part impacts on the gun's performance ;)

Amazing thanks for that I'll definitely have a look on all the things. Much appreciated 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a predator. 

It has a zci inner barrel, a g&g rotary hop unit and blue fanged hop rubber like those in the arp556

20201206_123926.thumb.jpg.66c95afaa4c8b3db5dfbb28acedea471.jpg

It will happily lift 0.32g s with thag set up, but i use 0.28g geoffs super natural, and it is easily straight and effective to 60m which suits my needs at my local site.

I run the 0.28gs rather than heavier, as its a weight that all my aegs can effectively shoot, and means i dont need to faff changing over speedloaders if i switch guns on gameday. 

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.