Krylon Removal From Plastics

Groot

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello 

I have a few kryloned stocks and I want to remove the paint.

What are you UK guys using to do that?

I have tried IPA and it doesn't make a dent

Cheers

• Supporters
1 hour ago, Groot said:

Hello 

Cheers

IPA is too hoppy. Try something with a good chocolate malt like a stout or a porter.

1 hour ago, Groot said:

Hello 

Cheers

I used to use Fairy Power Spray. Soak the plastic, leave it a couple hours (or even overnight), Krylon turns rubbery and can be scrubbed off with a washing up brush.

A couple of notes:

- I haven't stripped Krylon off in quite a few years, so I don't know if the Fairy Power Spray is the same formula now as it was in years past. But still it's worth a punt for a few quid from Wilko.

- Generally, it doesn't attack the plastic, but you'll never get the colour back to deep-black - it'll be more charcoal/cloudy black if that makes sense? I wonder if car dashboard restorer would help. 

- It can take several soak-scrub-rinse cycles to strip it all off, so it's not a quick process.

• Supporters
49 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

I used to use Fairy Power Spray. Soak the plastic, leave it a couple hours (or even overnight), Krylon turns rubbery and can be scrubbed off with a washing up brush.

A couple of notes:

- I haven't stripped Krylon off in quite a few years, so I don't know if the Fairy Power Spray is the same formula now as it was in years past. But still it's worth a punt for a few quid from Wilko.

- Generally, it doesn't attack the plastic, but you'll never get the colour back to deep-black - it'll be more charcoal/cloudy black if that makes sense? I wonder if car dashboard restorer would help. 

- It can take several soak-scrub-rinse cycles to strip it all off, so it's not a quick process.

Oh, THAT sort of IPA....

Fairy Power Spray isn't quite as good as it was but it still does the trick. Otherwise you're into nail polish remover and other equally icky stuff. You're right that the plastic is never quite the same colour afterwards but a bit of Autoglym dashboard cleaner can often sort that.

Best solution (no pun intended) us submerse/soak in brake cleaner, periodically agitate with a stiff brush, nylon bristles or the like.

Readily available from Euro Car Parts etc. You’ll need a 5ltr can, the aerosol is pants.

If it’s been on a longggg time, you’ll need to ‘wake it up’ with some gun wash AKA 2k thinners - just be quick with it and rinse off with the brake cleaner.

If you leave thinners on it will eat plastics/polymers.

Brake cleaner is completely harmless.

It will not affect texture or colour.

Both are very flammable BTW.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.