Painting

GenuineGerman

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi All, 

Would be grateful for some advice. 

I have spray painted my rifle up and have do a surprisingly good job if I do say so myself however I want to protect my amazing paint job. 

I’m not sure which type of clear coat to use that being said I want to use and Matt clear coat but do I use a lacquer or plasticoat. 

Any guidance would be great as I’m keen to get this done before the weekend. 

cheers 

GG

Hi.

Congrats on your amazing paint job👍

So long as your base paint is completely dry and hardened off I think you will be ok with clear lacquer.

Regards 

9 hours ago, GenuineGerman said:

It’s only amazing as normally I get more paint on me than what I’m trying to paint. 😂

Haha well look at picasso,messy painter or what.then of course the cubism and pop art crowd! Paint everywhere lol.

Put up some pics👍🙂

Regards 

id use a clear 2k lacquer in a rattle can. 2k meaning its 2 part. you normally pull a pin and twist it at the bottom of the can. you get about 30 mins before the can is a dud. way more durable than standard stuff in a can, and you can get it reinforced with glass flake for extra abrasion resistance.

source: paint technician! 

• Supporters
14 hours ago, Trixxeo said:

id use a clear 2k lacquer in a rattle can. 2k meaning its 2 part. you normally pull a pin and twist it at the bottom of the can. you get about 30 mins before the can is a dud. way more durable than standard stuff in a can, and you can get it reinforced with glass flake for extra abrasion resistance.

source: paint technician! 

I wouldn't be recommending 2K to anyone without access to proper PPE!

The U-Pol 1K clear will be more than tough enough for an airsoft gun and is way less harmful to health.

Source: custom painter.

• Supporters
8 minutes ago, GenuineGerman said:

Thanks for the info. I may avoid using lacquer that requires the use of ppe 😜

ANy spray paint needs to be used in a well ventilated area and preferably with a suitable mask. Standard Halfords rattle cans are water based with low VOC, 1K lacquer is slightly worse but you should be fine with a half decent mask from Screwfix but 2K has isocyanates in them and that shit NASTY!

• 2 months later...

Never painted a gun before. Tempted to do my MWS. Would you guys recommend taping off the selector, bolt release or mag catch. It's a GBB and I wanna protect the trigger box but I have seen a lot of them just painted over.

• Supporters
9 hours ago, gunbod007 said:

Never painted a gun before. Tempted to do my MWS. Would you guys recommend taping off the selector, bolt release or mag catch. It's a GBB and I wanna protect the trigger box but I have seen a lot of them just painted over.

Personally, I'd take it apart and spray the bits you want to spray separately. If you're after the "field expedient" look then just go for it.

54 minutes ago, Lozart said:

Personally, I'd take it apart and spray the bits you want to spray separately. If you're after the "field expedient" look then just go for it.

This

Yeah I am just going to leave it together after tasing off the sensitive areas where paint could get in the gun. I don't want it to look neat and tidy but I am just worried about paint getting inside the selector and bolt release

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.