Ares Amoeba M4 Tactical. Help for a Friend.

leadly
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello all,

I'm asking this in behalf of a friend, but he has since purchased this https://www.bespokeairsoft.co.uk/ares-amoeba-tactical-m4-aeg-with-silencer-ares-am-005-de-tan and is having a few issues.

Now I've tried to help as much as I can but my knowledge only extends as far as my VSR and MK23. I know bugger all about AEG's.

So he called to say he's got this new gun, but it doesn't seem to be firing very far so could he use my chrono. So a short drive later and he ends up (without the supressor that has an inner barrel) putting out around 240 FPS with NO hop then about 270 with full-ish hop. 

Does that minimal increase sound right? It doesn't to me. He didn't test it with the supressor but with my knowledge of the ASG MK23 that has the same style supressor with an inner barrel, that should up the FPS a bit.

They do sell one without the supressor so you really shouldn't have to rely on that to attain the advertised 300 - 330 ish FPS.

We tried it at the range at Matlock on Saturday. He was aiming at a high target 10m's away but was hitting one on the ground.

Battery all fully charged. Using .2's and maybe .25's.

I suspect bucking issues and have said to send it back. It was a bit scratched up when he received it as well which makes me think it's a return job that wasn't repaired.

Any thoughts? Apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Regards,

Rich

They come with very weak springs, the airseal is shit and the hop rubbers are abysmal.

I reckon a new piston head o-ring, prometheus purple hop rubber and a m100/m110 will up the power to 1J-ish.

Also the stock bushings are made of butter, I'd replace them asap, along with a better quality tappet plate.

Regarding the suppressor, it's an overpriced POS, tell your friend to buy a longer inner and hide it with a "real" suppressor. All the people I know who have those guns did that.

If your friend goes down this method, he can skip buying a new spring, although all the other steps must be followed in order to have an useable gun.

I would also advise to buy a spare piston (possibly with a plastic rack, less damage to other components in case of failure), the Ares ones are kinda shit and prone to cracking at the pickup tooth.

26 minutes ago, Skara said:

They come with very weak springs, the airseal is shit and the hop rubbers are abysmal.

I reckon a new piston head o-ring, prometheus purple hop rubber and a m100/m110 will up the power to 1J-ish.

Also the stock bushings are made of butter, I'd replace them asap, along with a better quality tappet plate.

Regarding the suppressor, it's an overpriced POS, tell your friend to buy a longer inner and hide it with a "real" suppressor. All the people I know who have those guns did that.

If your friend goes down this method, he can skip buying a new spring, although all the other steps must be followed in order to have an useable gun.

I would also advise to buy a spare piston (possibly with a plastic rack, less damage to other components in case of failure), the Ares ones are kinda shit and prone to cracking at the pickup tooth.

So basically - replace most of the internals and you're golden?  A £135 gun that will end up costing closer to £180-200 just to be usable long-term?

Yeh - I think I'll stay well clear of Ares in future.

Good info though. 👍

18 minutes ago, Speedbird_666 said:

So basically - replace most of the internals and you're golden?  A £135 gun that will end up costing closer to £180-200 just to be usable long-term?

Yeh - I think I'll stay well clear of Ares in future.

Good info though. 👍

Oh there are worse issues tho, I found out the hard (and expensive) way!

Unfortunately they have to make cuts in order to keep the price low, which is super competitive given what you get on paper.

With my 013 I changed the bushings with bearings after a year or so, the tappet broke after 6 months, for some reason my piston is still the stock one and seals, hop rubber got swapped as soon as the gun left the box. Gun is almost 5 years old.

My 009 was a different story, had to replace all the parts almost immediately, in just shy of 2 years the gearbox got rebuilt twice and it kept eating bushings and bevel gears/pinions (I have 4 chewed ones in my drawer, lol), plus the whole thing wasn't aligned at all, so the handguard was bent to the left and the outer barrel was bent to the right (yep, not even aligned with the receiver).

QC issues, but the materials used for the parts I mentioned are just the cheapest crap one can buy and they WILL fail with little to very little use (most of my teammates use Amoebas and they all had the same issues with bushings, tappet and piston).

So yeah, you pay relatively little for the base, but then you pay the same in replacements.

@leadly you again!

OK so my only AEG is an Ares Amoeba AM008 and I've just finished fully rebuilding the internals. One of our guys has recently done his 003 (more or less same gun but minus a stock) and I also used to have a 003 as well.

On those small doodies, they do come with a fairly strong spring as the barrel is so short, they need it to get the power up to their quoted 320.

Rightly so as pointed out, seal on stock stuff is a bit naff, a relube of the piston head and swapping out the stock nozzle for an M4 21.4mm with o-ring will do wonders.

The stock bucking is barely worth providing and the stock hopup unit isn't much to be desired for either. A plastic ZCI rotary and SHS enhanced 60deg bucking from @ak2m4 will clear everything up for less than £15 delivered including the nozzle!

The above mods should get you closer to 320 and sailing .28's away with about 1/3 hop applied.

I did a whole raft of other bits to mine, they're more or less a V2 just with a couple of bespoke parts but give us a shout if you get really stuck. For a few not very expensive parts they can be turned into something super effective. Very close to pulling trigger on another 003.

Should add. They are absolute f*****s for eating their own bushings as the stock ones are aluminium. If the gearbox is coming out, get some 8mm bushings and a shim set ready and save yourself some future tears.

Also the gearbox isn't radiused so that's another free and easy one to do whilst it's apart.

Teasing the microswitch plate is free and easy, goes from sloppy to hair in about 2mm lol.

Thank you for the replies. I've sent Mikey all of them so he can make his mind up with what he wants to do!

I've also learnt a bit about AEG's so winner as well!!

Archived