Spring Length.

Cr0-Magnon

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Does it matter? On my Scorpion Evo SMG, I was getting 325fps with an ASG Ultimate M95. Just received a rocket M100 from @ak2m4(Cheers!) 

It's slightly shorter than the ASG M95 and the ASG M105 but has bumped up the FPS to the perfect 340 I was looking for. So all's good there but does it being shorter have any effect on another aspect of the setup/performance? 

• Supporters

don't think so as such

though as a general rule I tend to use 170mm aprox springs

than say less than 150mm springs

a rough guide is 170mm is about the length of gearbox

if it is much shorter than box then I see if I got a longer spring of same chrono value

(I got a APS UAR to test expected fps of a spring)

once inside the spring tension builds & all that so in reality it probably never matters

the gearbox length/170mm guideline is probably me being arsey & me working out expected fps if SS etc...

so my general rule of thumb is coz of me working out/guessing shit if short stroking etc...

(though even on a slightly shorter spring it likely won't alter THAT much - just something I do in my qwirky way)

it the power is correct then a slightly shorter spring doesn't matter

it is likely treated to not fade so quickly over time like stock springs

& stock springs do shorten a bit anyway as they fade

so fuck it it is fine is my answer, unless you are weirdo freak with ocd like moi

• Supporters

I don't think it really matters.  My CYMA came with what I assume was the stock 400fps+ spring brutally chopped down to the point where it was only just barely under tension, and it still shot 330fps.  You can get into the magic of matching piston to barrel volume, but basically energy in = energy out.

• Supporters

you want a bit of pretension, but after that as long as it works.....

the only thing i'd consider is that potentially a longer spring could buckle more easily, but that's based on intuition rather than any actual evidence.

• Supporters
4 minutes ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Cheers guys. One other thing is do you oil or grease a new spring?

Never done it intentionally, usually it just picks up the grease from gears/piston rails.

• Supporters
11 hours ago, Cr0-Magnon said:

Cheers guys. One other thing is do you oil or grease a new spring?

I do, but more because I have loads of lithium grease around than because I think it does anything. I still get plenty of twang.

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.