safety gear help

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi all i am new to airsoft and am wanting to go and play at a proper site. I was thinking of buying some safety gear before i go. i was going to start with gloves and face and head protection and then hire the rest from the site. This is what i was thinking of getting. Any suggestions and advice would be much appreciated. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Military-Tactical-Protective-Helmet-Airsoft-Full-Face-Protection-With-Goggle-Len/272932090939?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D49129%26meid%3D9a408999d1854c918dfdb0ffdddcb1ff%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D182899598192%26itm%3D272932090939&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/gloves-and-scarfs/mechanix-m-pact-glove-multicam.htm#.WsThNXkh2ou

Any rental packs you get will give you face pro anyway, but you can just use your own anyway, but DEFFO get some gloves, otherwise those finger/knuckle hits are gonna kill you, i recently got myself a pair of the Mpact gloves, really comfy and give good protection. As for face protection, go with cheaper stuff if you're just getting into it, try out some mesh goggles and lower face, won't cost you much more than £20, and then you've already got a backup if you don't get on with the built in goggles on that helmet, cause unless they have excellent anti-fog, you're gonna go blind pretty fast. all things to think about, but always good to have even a cheap backup

• Supporters

When you rent you'll get provided face protection. If you want to buy some tacticool helmet and some gloves that's up to you. I'd start off with just using the hire kit to make sure it's something you'll enjoy playing before buying anything. Gloves and kneepads are handy to have but certainly not required. 

I would never cheap out on eye pro and I would never use mesh goggles. 

If you're under 18 you'll need full face protection such as a paintball mask. The Dye i4 is a good one. Personally I use ESS ICE. 

Use the search tool and have a read around. There's lots of information on this topic already available. 

@The Eliminator

Don’t buy eye protection like that right now.

Its unbranded and direct from china

There is no mention of what safety standards the lens meets

There is a good sign that they have not spammed the title, and there is only one mention of Paintball in the description which says they can be used as eye protection in airsoft and paintball

It may be a good and up to standard, but it may not be

The only thing said about the lens is it’s material, but that doesn’t cover the quality of the lens and that it’s tested for impact

A key thing for obscure goggles is how well the lens is fitted as dodgy ones have come away from main goggle

Due to the price and it being outside of the EU you would be liable for import vat at customs. (But these types of sellers do like to make fraudulent declarations)

Youre looking at about £58 including post, 20% at customs so nearly £12, and then a courier handling fee to handle your money - around £8 to £20

Youre now looking at something in the region of £80 to £90  

Until you’ve more experience and know what you’re buying stick to rentals and UK purchases from reputable suppliers 

Those helmets look like knock offs, save your cash. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OneTigris-Tactical-Protective-Paintball-Adjustable/dp/B01KDWEB18?th=1&psc=1

Great value and comfortable face pro.

I recommend Bolle Silium protective glasses. 

There was a post on a thread on here a week or so ago that said that unde £138 i think it said that you should get a customs charge as they have recently changed but id guess its best to check that out for yourself on customs web site . 

As for gloves . I wouldnt play with out them personally but you need ones with extra protection on the fingers

A helmet  isnt really a must. Personally i use a cap. a buff and a soft sided mesh half mask

Eye protection is absolutly the most inportant safety kit you need. I personall have a few diffrent types as if im on the range i use glasses type but wouldnt want to use them while playing. I do use mesh type quite often as regardless of how anti fog they say they are i have found so far that pretty quickly they get fogged up. I would prefer not to used mesh bust as of yet have not found vaible alternative but hoping now weather comming a bit warmer (???) The clear lense will now be ok. 

Full face .not really my thing as it tends to get in the way when aiming. But if you are of an age where it is compulsory then be carefull last weekend i was cronoing when a young lad came in with a new full face mask. The marshal had a quick look and said he didnt feel comfortable letting gim use it unless he tested it. They went into safe zone and came back with lad useing borrowed eye pro and they asked me to shoot it a few times from about a meter and a half away. I had just cronoed so had .2's in the mag. They near enough went through had i been useing the .25/.28's i usually run in the rif or the .30/.36's i run in the pistols then i recon they would have gone through. Obviously he was not allowed to use them and the site lent him some free of charge.

I would check any eye pro any way before i decided to use it dureing a game. Its just not worth risk

1 hour ago, Duff said:

Those helmets look like knock offs, save your cash. 

https://www.amazon.co.uk/OneTigris-Tactical-Protective-Paintball-Adjustable/dp/B01KDWEB18?th=1&psc=1

Great value and comfortable face pro.

I use these masks they are awesome. They are the only comfortable mask i have used and they also allow you to get your cheak properly into the stock for aiming

@Whompa73

Import thresholds are:

Import vat at 20% on gifts valued £39+ or other goods £15+

Import duty at 2.5% on any goods valued £135+

The valuation used now takes into account the item value plus postage & insurance, (the gross cost)

Other rates and thresholds may apply depending on the type of goods 

57 minutes ago, Tommikka said:

@Whompa73

Import thresholds are:

Import vat at 20% on gifts valued £39+ or other goods £15+

Import duty at 2.5% on any goods valued £135+

The valuation used now takes into account the item value plus postage & insurance, (the gross cost)

Other rates and thresholds may apply depending on the type of goods 

Was reading this thread the other day. You can perhaps see why im a bit confused about the whole customs charge thing especially as some companies/collectors eg parcelfore /ups & so on (maybe just diffrent companies because its so long between me ordering outside uk) seem to charge at diffrent rates or standard handleing fees. 

41 minutes ago, Whompa73 said:

Was reading this thread the other day. You can perhaps see why im a bit confused about the whole customs charge thing especially as some companies/collectors eg parcelfore /ups & so on (maybe just diffrent companies because its so long between me ordering outside uk) seem to charge at diffrent rates or standard handleing fees. 

It should be simple in theory because they are the thresholds and rates (except where other rates apply to the type of item)

There is subtle wording that gets mixed up by people with ‘import VAT’ and ‘import duty’

They are both taxes at point of entry, but import vat just balances the UK markets VAT, and duty is an additional import tax.  Duty can be affected by the type of item and also potentially being targeted against source countries 

With Trump being vocal on trade and threatening to put in more duties on goods going to the US we may be responding in the same manner and duties could be raised on more items or thresholds changed

The variation by company is their handling charge, which puts the bill up normally around £8 to £20 depending on the company 

The charge is because they do all admin billing the recipient and pass on the vat/customs charges to HMRC.

Border Force operate at the point of entry but much of the time it’s only courier staff handling the package, reading the declaration and dealing with you 

There can be a variation on the value used. Previously only goods value was used, but it changed to the full invoice value including postage etc.  This also picks up ‘cheap’ items with high postage

They do not have to believe the declared value.  Especially for Asian imports that have fraudulent declarations such as ‘commercial sample, zero value’ or everything valued under $1

They can also revalue based on the UK market, this is to protect UK retailers from grey imports from cheaper marketplaces 

(and vice versa - we normally number match $ to £ on electronics etc, but in the UK the Mobile phone providers subsidise handsets, giving us cheaper phones then a number of other countries, so some international travellers grey export our phones)

Cheers for that . Probably the most coherent description iv had/seen

• Supporters
7 hours ago, Duff said:

this is good advice, absolutely do not skimp on eye pro, even if you never go airsofting again you'll still have a pair of safety glasses for general use. even though my phantoms are retired from airsofting duty now (nose pads broke off) i still use them when i'm messing with potentially explodey electronics.

face mask is a good idea for cqb, personally i don't mind risking it for the extra comfort outdoors but i'll likely change my tune if i ever get a tooth shot out.

a hat/buff/hood is fine for head protection, i only ever wear a helmet in night games where smacking my noggin into a tree is a distinct possibility. just make sure your ears are covered.

gloves are a good shout too, although anything that offers decent padding and dexterity will be fine to start out with (motorbike gloves for example are great), personally i go fingerless, but earlier this year i spent 3 months with a bloodied fingernail for that choice (got full auto'd by what felt like the whole enemy team)

@Adolf Hamster got shot on knuckle and fingernail  of same finger at fairly close range a couple of months back. I was waring mechanics gloves but they dont have extra protection/ armour on the index finger . My finger was stiff for 3 / 4 days and more a purple fingernail than a black 1 but it bloody hurt anyway. Recon id have lost the nail if i hadnt had gloves on and would prob have broke skin on knucle. Defo not playing with out gloves. Personal choice i know but damb its amazing how much pain a 6mm ball of plastic can inflict if caugh right 

• Supporters
1 minute ago, Whompa73 said:

@Adolf Hamster got shot on knuckle and fingernail  of same finger at fairly close range a couple of months back. I was waring mechanics gloves but they dont have extra protection/ armour on the index finger . My finger was stiff for 3 / 4 days and more a purple fingernail than a black 1 but it bloody hurt anyway. Recon id have lost the nail if i hadnt had gloves on and would prob have broke skin on knucle. Defo not playing with out gloves. Personal choice i know but damb its amazing how much pain a 6mm ball of plastic can inflict if caugh right 

too true, mine was on the pinkie right on the nail, it's amazing how much a small injury like that can hurt, i was driving home after when it started really throbbing and i ended up driving left handed thinking "thank **** i have an auto"

it's a risk, as is not wearing a mask, not had it myself but i have seen what happens when you get a tooth shot out.

at the end of the day it's up to you to decide wether you want to take those risks, although risking your eyes is top level stupid.

@Adolf Hamster couldn't agree more. I pro is a no brainer. Once again i always use a mask. But i have to deal with the public / visitors to where i work so looking like i got some type of infectious tropical disease wouldnt really go down too well. Pluss im nesh lol

• Supporters
2 minutes ago, Whompa73 said:

@Adolf Hamster couldn't agree more. I pro is a no brainer. Once again i always use a mask. But i have to deal with the public / visitors to where i work so looking like i got some type of infectious tropical disease wouldnt really go down too well. Pluss im nesh lol

yeah, my play style and the sites i play at mean generally i'm not looking at right up close engagements, but the moment it's looking like getting close is likely (for example doing a round in the cqb zone) then the mask comes out.

i've yet to find a mask that's comfy and doesnt fog up your glasses which is how i ended up just going without.

Archived