Where do you guys setup your sniper rifle

sgt.mac
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hiya everyone

I was just wondering where does everyone setup there rifle Zero/hopup

I have marsh land near my house but worried someone will think it's a real rifle and the police will turn up.

Any ideas, where I can go??

Cheers

LM

Hiya everyone

I was just wondering where does everyone setup there rifle Zero/hopup

I have marsh land near my house but worried someone will think it's a real rifle and the police will turn up.

Any ideas, where I can go??

Cheers

LM

Your normal airsoft site.

I set mine up out in the country side. It's a set of land, with about 15-20 garages there.

But no on cares, just say it's a toy. Even let some have a go, they see the fun side.

Until someone does. It's illegal. On public land it's illegal and on private land it's illegal without the permission of the owner.

That is all very true,

not going to lie. I wouldn't do what I do. As I don't want to be responsible for someone's misfortune.

I just take that risk

• Supporters

This is aimed mostly at Mos and the OP, don't take it the wrong way or offence, just some cautionary advice, take it or leave it, its a bit TL:DR but i wanted to plonk all the info in one place for you and try and make it clear as mud.

I just take that risk

And a BIG risk it is to take IMO, trust me Mos i want you to enjoy Airsoft and your Mancraft VSR-10, just don't want you getting nicked for a silly mistake and having your rifle seized, not to mention the cache of weapons the police may find at your home address when they consider the Section 18 PACE 1984 once your at custody.

If i came across or was called to someone doing the exact same thing as you i would have no choice but to nick you, not something i would like to do to a fellow Airsofter as its most likely i might bump into you at an airsoft site one day.

Take it from me, DO NOT i repeat DO NOT attempt to:
Zero your rifle
or
Take it into a public place
or
Shoot it so that the BB or projectile leaves your premises and ends up in either a public place or someone else garden or property.

I would recommend you shoot only on an insured Airsoft Site or on private property WITH the land owners permission.

Remember the following legislation:
S. 19 Firearms Act 1968
A person commits an offence if, without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (the proof whereof lies on him) he has with him in a public place
(a) a loaded shot gun,
( B) an air weapon (whether loaded or not),
(c ) any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or
(d) an imitation firearm.

Breaking this down means that you commit an offence if without lawful authority or reasonable excuse (zeroing a rifle or its just for fun is not considered reasonable) you have with you in a public place
(a) a loaded shot gun - ok i don't expect you to have one of these but the APS CAM 870 comes very close to being a real shot gun
( B)an air weapon (whether loaded or not) - This includes Air Rifles, pistols and our dear Airsoft guns as well (believe it or not)
(c ) any other firearm (whether loaded or not) together with ammunition suitable for use in that firearm, or - this mean's even two tones
(d) an imitation firearm - This covers Airsoft guns and our two tone variants.

Which if found guilty of the offence prior to Oct 2007 had a maximum sentence of 6 months imprisonment, after that the VCRA 2007 (which introduced UKARA to us all) made it at triable either way (which means you can be tried summary or indictable (ie at Crown Court before a Jury)) and under S.41 of it pushes the maximum sentence to 12 months imprisonment if Summary or 7 years if your trial is held at Crown Court.

As you can see that Section 19 is very broad detailing what that weapon is, technically one could argue that S19 (c ) could involve a NERF gun as its a form of firearm with ammo, but one must consider the leathality of the weapon and even though legit Airsoft guns come under that, the fact that at a distance any person of reasonable grounding would believe that an Airsoft weapon was a real firearm.

Also even if you have the land owners permission or shooting on private property you MUST ensure that all BBs and pellets remain within the land you are shooting it, otherwise you commit an offence under Section 21A of the Firearms Act 1968 which states:
A person commits an offence if -
(a) he has with him an air weapon on any premises; and
( B) he uses it for firing a missile beyond those premises.
(2) In proceedings against a person for an offence under this section it shall be a defence for him to show that the only premises into or across which the missile was fired were premises the occupier of which had consented to the firing of the missile (whether specifically or by way of a general consent).

So be careful where those shots go as even 1 stray BB could land you in hot water, when i shoot my GBB Pistols out the back garden i'm pretty confident where thr shots are going and they get caught or captured by my back stop, but when i got an ASP CAM 870 shotgun i fired it twice and quickly realised that they spread and ricochet made it too dangerous to use in my back garden, even if it was fun as hell.

Also bear in mind that in this day and age most of the general public can't tell the difference between an engine popping and a real gunshot, that most of the public have no idea what Airsoft even is, cant tell the difference between an M4 and an AK. Add to that the general climate of terrorism looming high above most people if they saw you zeroing your VSR, they wont approach you and give you the chance to explain that it is a toy etc, they would just straight up call police and the next thing you know you have Armed Response Vehicles turning up with you thinking "well thats a bit excessive" because trust me when it comes to firearms its never excessive for the police.

Take my advice or not, if you don't you might end up getting nicked and being branded across the local paper as some gun nut like the media always does, oh and you lose your guns, most likely through court ordered destruction.

Legistlation is here:
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/19
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1968/27/section/21A
CPS charging decision model and sentencing, legal guidance:
http://www.cps.gov.uk/legal/d_to_g/firearms/#a15

Seeing the seriousness to it all, man that's pretty scary..

Shizbazki, I'm guessing you're part of the law enforcement scene? You know a lot.

I guess, it's not worth the risk, in the end. The whole police/armed vehicle people is just crazy, and scary. People do this to people with what is essentially a toy?

I'll just take it in my garden, which is small, but not law breaking.

Thank you Shizbazki, possibly saved a load of just 'mess'

I feel like a boy who's stolen candy from a candy shop, and been caught.

Even your garden may not be safe. Proximate to public rights of way springs to mind here.

And beware of ricochets leaving your premises. I'm loathed to fire my aeg rifles in the garden, probably need a decent sized backstop, ie a large box loosely stuffed with rags should suffice.

Even your garden may not be safe. Proximate to public rights of way springs to mind here.

And beware of ricochets leaving your premises. I'm loathed to fire my aeg rifles in the garden, probably need a decent sized backstop, ie a large box loosely stuffed with rags should suffice.

Archived