Newbie looking for advice !

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys my friend has asked if I'd like to give air soft a go and thought why not ! We are both newbies and never done anything like it before and basically tagging a long with a couple of his friends who are regular and was just wondering if there were any hints or tips on how to get started and what sort of basic items I'll need ? I've been looking most at just buying some decent gloves,eye wear and mouth visor and was wondering if anyone knew of decent sites or places I could pick these up or if there was anything else I should be looking at getting?

Any help would be much appreciated ! :)

• Supporters

Welcome to the family. I have only been doing it a week and I'm addicted already. I started a similar post a week ago which has loads of guides and such.

Enjoy and good Hunting.

I got ninja'd by sitting duck

Any person wanting advice should always look at that topic first as its a good guide then if they have any further questions then ask away

1 piece of advice

Start out by renting a rifle until you get ukara registered, go to a shop & handle different weapons to see which ones you like

But for the love of God, please dont make the mistake of buying a weapon then asking 'what weapon should I get & what upgrades can I do' even before you've used it

Thanks for the posts and guides guys much appreciated ! I'm just sort of stuck as to what eye protection and mouth visor to buy! As I know there are pros and cons with every product I was just wondering what you lot would you as a general rule of thumb ? I was thinking about getting goggle just for the extra safety but obviously clouding up can be a problem while I've heard mesh ones aren't too great either ?! Also what sort of mouth visor would people recommend as if rather buy from a store or Amazon than just something dodgy off eBay!

Well you've got a choice of

Mesh goggles, lens goggles or airsoft approved glasses (I use lens goggles & airsoft glasses)

Then you've got a mesh lower mask (I use them) or full face mask (either a paint ball mask or an airsoft mask)

If your under 18 then every site requires by law to wear full face protection but of over 18 then it's players choice but I always recommend full face protection

EBay ones are decent & hold up well

Well you've got a choice of

Mesh goggles, lens goggles or airsoft approved glasses (I use lens goggles & airsoft glasses)

Then you've got a mesh lower mask (I use them) or full face mask (either a paint ball mask or an airsoft mask)

If your under 18 then every site requires by law to wear full face protection but of over 18 then it's players choice but I always recommend full face protection

EBay ones are decent & hold up well

Ahh ok well I was looking at bolle goggles like these:

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-glasses-and-goggles/bolle-tactical-x810-platinum-clear-military-safety-goggle.htm#.VZpSrop4WnM

or possibly these mesh ones ? http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-glasses-and-goggles/we-europe-nuprol-pro-mesh-goggles-eye-protection-black.htm#.VZpoS4p4WnN

As for masks I was looking for mesh lower mask but been told to stay away from neoprene ones as they aren't very effective ?

Ahh ok well I was looking at bolle goggles like these:

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-glasses-and-goggles/bolle-tactical-x810-platinum-clear-military-safety-goggle.htm#.VZpSrop4WnM

or possibly these mesh ones ? http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-glasses-and-goggles/we-europe-nuprol-pro-mesh-goggles-eye-protection-black.htm#.VZpoS4p4WnN

As for masks I was looking for mesh lower mask but been told to stay away from neoprene ones as they aren't very effective ?

Go with what glasses/goggles you like & stick with a lower mesh mask

Neoprene is pointless in my opinion as breathing & talking through it is very difficult, it'll be worse in the summer when it's hot

• Moderators

very similar to what i just got from Patrol base (just been delivered!).

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/airsoft-glasses-and-goggles/we-europe-nuprol-shades-mesh-glasses-eye-protection-black.htm#.VZ0gG_lVhBd

http://www.patrolbase.co.uk/half-face-airsoft-protection/8-fields-mesh-lower-face-ear-protection-tan.htm#.VZ0hTvlVhBc

Although due to first game, basics provided anyway, i thought id still get some incase im not comfortable with a full face mask. having tried them on in the toilet at work :rolleyes: ....did find the googles a little smaller than expected with mask on (so may need to get the others ones?...will try at home later, i guess safety first and comfort follows...

• Supporters

trust me if it feels a little tight at first it will be digging right into you before half time

have a look at some bolle stuff at your local screwfix or other places

at least if they are not suitable you can easily return perhaps for another pair

yeah some are a bit chunky but check the ratings and if needed fire a bb at them if they fit ok

some are designed for people wearing glasses plus you can see reviews on how they stack up

or fog up etc......

• Moderators

just ordered some alternatives ,then i'll send others back....probably spending a bit much before first game but i have a feeling it WONT be my last and i'd like to be comfortable while shooing my brother on his stag do!...

Looked at all this in the days you could buy what you wanted easily ,no questions asked!!....oh how times have changed! :)

How do you protect your ears out of interest? Or don't you?

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.