which to go for? g&g

sssleepzzz

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hi im new to airsoft and im looking to order a g&g but cant decide what to go for im swaying towards the cm18 mod1 but also like the gr16 cqw rush just because i like the blow back but not sure if theres much difference in the internals on the guns. Any recommendations would be good. Thanks

• Supporters

Hi

Welcome to the world of Airsofting and these here good forums

The weapons you have mentioned are both very good as G&G Makes some very good internals, the differences between the two weapons (bar aesthetics) is as you mentioned the blowback system used by G&G as a feature.

G&Gs blowback system for the gearbox is a simple pneumatic system, some people like them, some don't as it adds complications to the gearbox but not by much IMO.

The difference between the actual gearboxes is that the blowback one has a port hole on the top of the gearbox, the cylinder has a hole to match this, there is an additional cylinder on top of the gearbox which has a small spring loaded piston inside it and this is attached to the bolt plate. When you shoot pressure from the main piston ports some air to the small piston which pushes back the bolt slide, the spring in the small piston then returns this back to the normal place. The video below gives a good idea on how this works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yyeGfob0ZUI

Its more of an aesthetic appeal and i like it, i have a TR4-18 and have kept it plus it looks cool with the slide bolt moving back and forth in head cam vids.

The rest of the gearbox is the same, high quality gears, piston with AOE set etc.

Though i have found G&G safety levers on their version 2 gearboxes occasionally slip so you could shoot whilst the safety was apparently "ON", my MP5 had this problem but so far my TR4-18 hasn't had it.

Lastly whether you do or don't, if your gun is supplied with a built in MOSFET made by G&G either use NiMh batteries or restrict your use only to 7.4 LiPos as it does not like 11.1 Lipos contrary to what the supplied paperwork says, if you do want to use an 11.1 lipo for the Rate of Fire then change the MOSFET.

Hope all the above helps and again welcome to Airsoft :)

Thanks for the fast reply as i want to order now haha. So essentially its just a cosmetic difference between the guns and performance wise they wont be much different? Think im going to go for the cm18 mod1 i think it will be plenty of gun for my 1st anyway. Thanks :)

They will likely perform about the same. The blow back is mostly about noise (which can be good but on the G&Gs its too high pitched) and the visual of the bolt moving as you fire (no one ever looks at that!). The internals are going to be the same until you go for a top tech where they step it all up a bit. Its basic internals that all work well enough and will last a while. None of its going to outperform custom parts and its not going to have a perfect airseal or fantastic accuracy or range but its going to get you a decent platform quite cheaply. My personal experience of the plastic is its pretty tough and the lightness I feel is quite an advantage after 8 hours of running around in the woods.

• Supporters

Blowback or not it is still a toy gun to me and more to go wrong - but that is just my personal opinion.....

My own favourites - none are blowback though......

CM18 - nice gun, comes with crap mid cap though, apart from that a very nice sexy gun

or

30th edition GC16 - metal receiver and nice gun too - not rails galore like CM18 but excellent value for money

Both of the above are very nice guns and if they did a 30th CM18 or Raider I would without doubt say that is best choice £150 gun

Other than that - a simple Ford Transit G&G Raider - like the very common Transit comes in Long or Shorter version but very good workhorse too

or the loudmouth bitch FireHawk perhaps if cqb is your thing......

or if on a budget the Carbine - regular or the shorter lite version - but for say £6 more I'd get Raider for the rails

end of the day all the above models are just tarted up carbines anyway but still good mechanics for a good starter gun

Yeah im definitely going for the cm18 seems like a really good base. Im not expecting a top shelf gun straight out the box already ordered new mags as iv heard the standard mid caps are garbage. Is the cm18 a good base to customise and make a really good rifle out of it? Or is it primarily a starter AEG?

• Supporters

The only changes - apart from mag of course I have made......

Stubby M4 stock - many of my guns have this - just allows me to use almost any battery (rear wired gun btw)

(crane stock is fine but means I can use bigger/fatter higher capacity block type batteries using a cheap stubby stock)

Changed the flash hider to a cheap "claymore" type - only coz thought the CM18 has a sort of G36 type one that was all.

The flip sights are same as FireHawk, the 2-tone effect of black/tan or tan/black looks sexy and rail covers are comfy if you grip ris

(if you don't mount a simple grip up front)

275 barrel so a good size for an all rounder - 275 to 300 is a nice barrel length

so with the sights and longer RIS it is like a bigger tanned relation of the FireHawk - just not so loud flash/amplifier & not so titchy

But like I said - the CM range of guns are all the same internally, just with different fancy externals.

The Combat Machine from G&G is a great starter - the internals are good and very tweakable

almost any of them are great to buy as a starter and tweakable to keep for a while or in fact as a good spare if you ever upgrade to a high spec gun

This is why so many of us keep banging on about them - yes G&G's are so damn common as muck but they are so popular for a reason

and is why I call them the Ford's or Ford Transit's of Airsoft

The blowback on g&g guns is a gimmick, I wouldn't let it sway your decision.

The blowback on g&g guns is a gimmick, I wouldn't let it sway your decision.

I don't think its a gimmick, it makes noise which definitely changes the battlefield perception but that is about it.

My cm16 started out as stock but when the piston teeth got a groove carved into them, that's when upgraded :)

I use mine for CQB & my upgraded G36C for woodland sites

Externally I have a 10" free float rail to cover the foresight I cut off

stubby silencer/suppressor

300mm tight bore barrel

dark earth flip up sights

Dark earth rubber rail covers

Club foot crane stock

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.