Buying a used rifle.

shoogs

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hello everyone!

I'm relatively new to airsoft and need some advice. I've been out and played a few times now and I wan't to get my own rifle now!

I'm looking into some used rifles. I recently got an offer on a Classic Army M4 and a Voodo Tactical Gunbag, rifle is with with 4 mags, loaders some ammo and a Walter red dot sight + 2 batteries and charger. All for £200.

Any thoughts on this? I've read Classic Army don't make bad guns? I know that he has tuned it or at least upgraded some parts in the gun.

Thanks for reading! :)

Please ask if there's more info I need to provide!

He says the worth is over £400?

People always think they're kit is worth what they paid for it. I see it like buying a used car; there's always a Risk you'll drive a couple miles down the road and it breaks down. There's no guarantee he put the thing back together right when he tuned so no one can really say What it's worth. All my guns are used and ive gotten by fairly lucky so far, but there are horror stories out there.

It's only worth what someone's willing to pay.

• Supporters

Indeed - these guns are like mini hammer drill gearboxes....

piston smashing into cylinder head, gears spinning faster than a car's engine flat out on M1 motorway

(just did some bevel gear rpm maths btw)

So it is no massive shock when they sometimes crap out on you/me/us

If possible try & see about buying new from a reputable retailer

that way should it crap out too soon on ya you got some warranty

Often when people go on about about various new upgrades fitted:

in my mind fitting "some" new parts goes hand in hand with general wear & tear

and if the "stock" part was showing some wear then most would replace that part with a slightly better part

eg: stock nozzle + stock cylinder head + worn seal/o-ring on piston head

replace those after 6 months when gun loses some of its initial ooooomph

and gun will perform well again (maybe spring & AOE - don't worry what this means yet)

But if I replace them worn stock parts with some slightly better ones but I don't expect to demand another £50+ than new gun

it is just part of the course - if they were still ok-ish I would of probably left it as it was

Like putting in a re-con engine in a car - ain't a brand new motor

just it hasn't got a borked engine anymore - part of the joys of motoring/airsoft

Some upgrades are different - stuff like cosmetics etc.....

But annoys me when people expect internal mechanical service/upgrades to be worth so much more

(yes some stuff like hi-speed gears/motors are worth a few bob on top of general s/hand value)

but new super duper piston, top spec cylinder, tight as frogs ar$e double o-ring nozzle ????

chances are the previous stock stuff was getting worn and performing $hit..

So in effect they had to be replaced - yes why not with better stuff

BUT don't friggin' try ya luck trying to add on the full price of them parts ffs

at best if you replaced a crappy worn stock nozzle with say a £10 one

eg: say 3 bits @ £10 each = £ 30

In my mind then all I might add on is say 3 x £5-ish - the extra price over a stock one

fitting - oh leave it out, if you hadn't have used it so much or broke it it would still be ok

(was running alright when I left it as saying goes)

So I can't see how people can try to charge full price parts plus another £20-£30 fitting = £50 to £60 "upgrades"

when in my mind it is just wear & tear plus a slight improvement

But STILL a second hand gun

Oh well I might as well as keep it - they might say....

Fine I think, if it is a good gun then I would probably consider keeping it

(I am mega paranoid but often wonder if gun/car etc.. is so damn bloddy good why are they selling it then ?)

Whoooooaaa mega carried away there - ignore most of the above I wrote just me getting on my high horse

just confirm with the guy if there is any warranty of a sort - say Argos 14 day or something

or look to buy new - especially if there is a good shop local to you - not JBBG btw

soz for mega waffle chaps

Indeed - these guns are like mini hammer drill gearboxes....

piston smashing into cylinder head, gears spinning faster than a car's engine flat out on M1 motorway

(just did some bevel gear rpm maths btw)

So it is no massive shock when they sometimes crap out on you/me/us

If possible try & see about buying new from a reputable retailer

that way should it crap out too soon on ya you got some warranty

Often when people go on about about various new upgrades fitted:

in my mind fitting "some" new parts goes hand in hand with general wear & tear

and if the "stock" part was showing some wear then most would replace that part with a slightly better part

eg: stock nozzle + stock cylinder head + worn seal/o-ring on piston head

replace those after 6 months when gun loses some of its initial ooooomph

and gun will perform well again (maybe spring & AOE - don't worry what this means yet)

But if I replace them worn stock parts with some slightly better ones but I don't expect to demand another £50+ than new gun

it is just part of the course - if they were still ok-ish I would of probably left it as it was

Like putting in a re-con engine in a car - ain't a brand new motor

just it hasn't got a borked engine anymore - part of the joys of motoring/airsoft

Some upgrades are different - stuff like cosmetics etc.....

But annoys me when people expect internal mechanical service/upgrades to be worth so much more

(yes some stuff like hi-speed gears/motors are worth a few bob on top of general s/hand value)

but new super duper piston, top spec cylinder, tight as frogs ar$e double o-ring nozzle ????

chances are the previous stock stuff was getting worn and performing $hit..

So in effect they had to be replaced - yes why not with better stuff

BUT don't friggin' try ya luck trying to add on the full price of them parts ffs

at best if you replaced a crappy worn stock nozzle with say a £10 one

eg: say 3 bits @ £10 each = £ 30

In my mind then all I might add on is say 3 x £5-ish - the extra price over a stock one

fitting - oh leave it out, if you hadn't have used it so much or broke it it would still be ok

(was running alright when I left it as saying goes)

So I can't see how people can try to charge full price parts plus another £20-£30 fitting = £50 to £60 "upgrades"

when in my mind it is just wear & tear plus a slight improvement

But STILL a second hand gun

Oh well I might as well as keep it - they might say....

Fine I think, if it is a good gun then I would probably consider keeping it

(I am mega paranoid but often wonder if gun/car etc.. is so damn bloddy good why are they selling it then ?)

Whoooooaaa mega carried away there - ignore most of the above I wrote just me getting on my high horse

just confirm with the guy if there is any warranty of a sort - say Argos 14 day or something

or look to buy new - especially if there is a good shop local to you - not JBBG btw

soz for mega waffle chaps

Where would we be without your mega waffle, brain farts and insights duck lol

But I see what your saying, soon as you use/replace something, it depreciates

I built a push bike that cost a grand to import and build, after much use I wanted £500 for it then the bloody thing broke the day someone was coming to look at it but still made £200 on all the parts which was better than throwing it all away

Rc boats/cars I make usually sell for about 3/4 the price of what I spend out

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.