TM HK416 Upgrades?

spyros

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I just used my 416 for the first time today and I have to say that I wasn't exactly blown away. The recoil system works well with a sense that you feel every BB leave the gun and the sound it makes is great. It's less of a motor-y sound and more like a slamming sound. But I have to say that I wasn't impressed by the range. I was using .2 BBs and I was getting the same range as my friends £130 G&G. Maybe it's me setting my standards too high with people talking about the magic TM hop-up but I was expecting alot "better".

So my question is this.

What kind of upgrades are possible for a TM 416 that would increase both range and accuracy without fucking up anything internally?

• Supporters

I think people get carried away with how good their guns are hence why it's so common to see people saying how their gun outranges 90% of people on site. As much as I love my HK416 it's accurate out to 50-55 metres(on 0.25g blasters), which is the same as what any decent AEG should be doing.

Up to you if you want to do it but changing the hop rubber and fitting a tight bore barrel made a very small difference at best. I treat it as a learning experience but outside of that I would say it was essentially a waste of money. Here is the thread I made on doing this if you are interested: http://www.airsoft-forums.co.uk/index.php/topic/23985-tm-hk416-barrel-and-hop-change/#entry174059

The next option is going to be looking at upping the FPS so it's closer to 350 FPS. Not that it's 100% helpful to you now but Fire Support offer an upgrade package which is both a more powerful spring and a Lonex gear set so they recommend changing both, but that package is limited to new guns:

http://www.fire-support.co.uk/product/firesupport-marui-sopmod-scar-recoil-m4-340-fps-upgrade

Personally I think it starts getting a bit messy and I would take it to someone that messes about with TMs for a living, for instance my mate has just bought a HK416 and it's due back this coming week after a few hundred quids worth of work done on it. However that's what I would do to my gun, if you are feeling adventurous then go for it - There's also a few guys on here that know a lot more about recoil shock upgrades than I do(which isn't hard) so might be worth seeing what they say too.

There's only so much you can expect from any AEG. You are flinging a plastic ball after all. The rule of diminishing returns definitely applies with AEG upgrades.

• Supporters

There's only so much you can expect from any AEG. You are flinging a plastic ball after all. The rule of diminishing returns definitely applies with AEG upgrades.

My limited experience suggests it's luck as much as anything else. For instance a chap at my local has a Cyma M14, he's put a TM hop rubber and a tight bore barrel in it - Suffice to say when he uses it half the site is talking about how ridiculous the range is and that's sub 350 FPS.

Hmmmm I definitely don't regret the purchase because as I said the recoil is so fucking good. I was just expecting too much I guess. Would getting a longer tighter inner barrel change anything? Also if TMs hop up is supposed to be one of the best would I ever need to change the hop rubber? Sorry if these questions sound basic to you but I'm quite new to the sport.

Hmmmm I definitely don't regret the purchase because as I said the recoil is so f*cking good. I was just expecting too much I guess. Would getting a longer tighter inner barrel change anything? Also if TMs hop up is supposed to be one of the best would I ever need to change the hop rubber? Sorry if these questions sound basic to you but I'm quite new to the sport.

No, a longer barrel won't change much, a high quality one may give you slightly better results. Check out prometheus. As for hop rubbers, you need to Suck it and see. Try some and see what works. Madbull blue.,g&g green and stock TM ones are all good.

• Supporters

Hmmmm I definitely don't regret the purchase because as I said the recoil is so f*cking good. I was just expecting too much I guess. Would getting a longer tighter inner barrel change anything? Also if TMs hop up is supposed to be one of the best would I ever need to change the hop rubber? Sorry if these questions sound basic to you but I'm quite new to the sport.

I'd basically say leave them be as in my experience changing them both possibly made a marginal difference. On the flipside it didn't harm my gun so if you want to give it a shot look at the details in the forum thread I linked in my first reply. Just be aware it's very easy to kid yourself into thinking it's much better on the basis you spent time and money on it :)

This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.