Relative noob looking for a DMR

falcon1439
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey guys,

I've been playing airsoft for a bit (about a year) and have finally decided to buy myself a decent gun rather than borrowing my mates gun. Every time I play, I mould into the role of a designated marksman. Now, I've managed to save around 500 pounds and was wondering what DMR is the best for that kind of money. I'm currently not UKARA registered but it won't be a problem to get registered. I'll admit, I'm an airsoft gear noob and know little. If I've left any key information out, please ask me to put it in :)

they dont specifically make airsoft DMRs you would have to buy a gun and then upgrade it yourself. most people go for m14s. but generally you can turn most guns into a DMR. its a personal preferance thing. find a gun you like the look of... i would suggesta long barreled weapon like an m14 or SR16. you are prob best off buying second hand as when building a DMR most people choose to.replace just about everything in the gun

• Supporters

you could always go with a SR25, my G&G SR25 i great, i tend to use it with heavier ammo (0.3) in stock form for some great distance.

That said my bog standard G&G CM16 Raider L, has some epic range (Mike1971 will confirm this) and in the 8months i have had it, its had some 40K bb's through it, nothing has gone wrong at all, the only thing i have done is give the barrel a clean every so often :D

but like moose said its personnel preference. and a SR16 would be a good selection as it takes stanag's (i may be wrong here)

One thing you have to decide, do you want dedicated DMR upto 400FPS (normally, but check your site limits), semi auto only (normally), or would you rather have the ability to go full auto (in which case the normal limit is 350fps)?

in either case a decent scope (x4 is very nice in my opinion) is a must. Then just add some options like a fold up bi-pod, and/or a fore-grip etc etc Just don't get bogged down into thinking that you "must" have a tight bore barrel, and you must have XXXfps!!! ... you don't, i would leave the internal mods for later as you need to know what you want to upgrade, before you spend you money and potentially invalidate a warranty (on a new gun that is).

(yes i am a G&G fan boy, but they do work very very well for the money)

Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I would prefer a dedicated DMR (the site limit is 400 fps I think) that is only semi auto. What's a good, accurate gun to start off with? Apart from sp00ns other suggestions, which I'll check out by the way.

EDIT: Thanks for the suggestions sp00ns but they all seem to fire full auto as well as semi auto which I don't really want, but thanks for the suggestions anyway :)

like i said you can make just about anything into one. SR16,SR25, m14, hk417,m27. find a rifle design YOU like! i think the accuracy of out of the box guns can differ. but i hear G&G are pretty good out of the box.

With that budget, you have a lot of choices.

I have all G&G rifles but there are some interesting VFC options for DMR.

Many DMR real steel weapons are 7.62mm and I like the Mk17 SSR from VFC, or their M27.

G&P M14s are supposed to be good upgrade platforms for DMRs. Being G&P they have top grade externals. They come in a variety of stock colours and lengths and some come with scopes and mounts. All of them have the newer style furniture as well.

If you're into Arma 2 they all look like DayZ's DMR http://www.proairsoftsupplies.co.uk/acatalog/M14.html

• Supporters

A DMR should be accurate, so that means that at the very least you should upgrade the hop rubber and/or nub. Either a split bump rubber: PDI W-Hold, Falcon Double Point or H-Nub & sticky rubber (so you can use heavy ammo): Element H-Hop, Madbull Fishbone Spacer, Falcon CNC Steel Hop Up Cushion, RA-Tech Hop Up Stability (Cushion) & Prometheus Purple Soft Rubber or your fav...

Which led me to think of a gun which only needs the stock hop rubber changing to be very good: the SRC G36 range. There are loads of body kit options that would be great for DMR's, such as the G36E outer barrel and foregrip with bipod mount, or the G36MG barrel and foregrip with integrated bipod, the extendible KV type stock (which allows you to put the battery in it and there's plenty of space for a MOSFET), carry handle integrated scope with 100mm rail on top for a red dot sight... and the best bit is it isn't a flipping AR variant!

Archived