what do people reckon

airsoftwarrior147
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

ok so i own an ics m4 which im sick of so now im considering buying a new aeg and my two choices are save for a while longer and get the vfc hk417 because its so unique and i love them.

or get the g&g combat machine cm18 mod 1- becasue its cheaper and is a cm so its a decent little gun to start/ begin upgrading.

opinions please

yHP4TqR.jpgISNVfyd.jpg

417 pros; external quality is awesome

Lovely to handle

Fantastic range out of the box

417 cons; internals could be better and you WILL end up upgrading them

Mags are stupid expensive compared to m4 mags

Mag pouches can be a bit hard to come by

If you're sick of your M4 wouldn't you consider moving away from the AR-15 / STANAG platform and going for a different style of gun?

That said though the HK417 does look very nice, I'd go for that if you're confident with doing tech work and upgrading internals etc

And you didn't mind the mag struggle. It isn't difficult to find cheaper 7.62mm size mag pouches though- Begadi make them for MOLLE type systems and they go for about £17 each.

Still more expensive and potentially difficult to find then M4 size mag pouches.

I'm not sick of m4s just my m4 it's a pain it's never worked properly and I don't get on with it

Now I'm swaying towards getting the g&g after Christmas then selling my m4 and shotgun to help fund the 417 with May end up as a dmr I don't really know

If you're sick of ICS as a manufacturer, why not spend under £300 on a G&G Top Tech M4/M16/HK416/stubby M4? It'll be tonnes more practical, a LOT cheaper and they'll shoot well out of the box. Gen 3 G&Gs go for about £270, Gen 2 go for a lot cheaper- mine was £209.

You could always buy G&P; however that's a choice you can make yourself. The general consensus is that they look and feel better than a G&G but don't shoot as well out of the box. If you're handy with gearboxes and upgrade installation you could get a G&P to shoot pretty well with minimal effort.

• Supporters

How long do you think it'll take you to save up for the 417 if you don't manage to get much/anything for your other guns?

I say this because you've just told us your M4 is a lemon and besides, most people are going to be a bit skint for a while.

I'd say that if you think it's going to take you longer than a month, forget it for now, get the combat machine; if not VFC it up. M14 mag pouches will work, which probably includes those plastic molle ones (which are cheap ACM and the quality is fine - I have 4 double ones myself for my L1A1 mags).

• Supporters

Better of with more mags than a sidearm, mate.

&/or a red dot

and some mid caps

a foregrip

box of 5 made by MAG

a sling

spare mags are always good

and... oh yeah, extra mags to slap in your primary will get you out of more trouble than a pistol will.

• Supporters
  • Supporters

I used to be a massive VP Vapex fan, but I'm now having a love affair with Turnigy Nano-Tech LiPo's. Turns out that 11.1V LiPo's need an AB MOSFET too otherwise the gun fires full-auto when semi-auto is selected. I've just recently bought one of these for that purpose, but it is still sitting on my bedside table rather than in Phatima and, since I'm not @home, I can't sort it out and tell you if it's any good.

I am going to convert all my guns to 11.1V LiPo's though, one way or another, because I love the super-fast trigger response. It's just a case of finding a reliable MOSFET and a good steel toothed piston to fit them all with. I'm coming to the opinion that pretty much everything else can be left stock, because they are designed to be able to handle much more powerful springs than we can use in the UK, so running the GB with less internal stress but faster ought to work fine, except for the piston teeth, which would probably get more wear due to the sector gear re-engaging the teeth before the thing has come to a full stop after being fired previously, ie during the 'bounce' the AOE will be all over the place. I'm pretty sure that I've found the best option without spending silly money: the ICS drilled aluminium piston and, judging by how good the Pico SSR MOSFET I had until recently was, I expect their AB version to be the way forward - I just couldn't find one in stock anywhere :(

Just buy a couple of 7.4v lipos from component shop and a GOOD charger, don't open up a brand new gun, it will A invalidate your warranty and B it's not the place to be learning about gearboxes, find something old to have as a backup that you can open up with out too many worries

• Supporters

VP Vapex 1600mAh 9.6V nunchuck x 2 (1 backup use them alternately) / unfortunately OOS right now, but they'll have more soon i'm sure. Or, as Spatch says, get 7.4V LiPo's - hobbyking.com / to really get the benefit of how quickly LiPo's can deliver their peak current, go for a minimum of 25C, but 30C is better - you will see airsoft LiPo's advertised with 20C on average and also 15C - ignore that.

A motor has to overcome inertia to get going so trigger response is not only determined by Voltage, but also by the time it takes from the first microscopic arc, as the switch closes, to that peak as the motor gets going. The higher the "C" rating, the faster this can happen. You will also get better results from LiPo battery packs with far more capacity than you actually need, so look for something of at least 1300-1350mAh, but preferably 1600, 2000, 2300.

Archived