Nooby Gas Question

Baz JJ
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Im slighty confused by the various different gas cannisters that are on the market.

Green gas, Red Gas, 144a, Ultra Predator, Ultrair...

Has anybody published a simple guide to gases ?

• Root Admin

The link Shinobi posted is excellent, but if it's a specific gun then you may want to ask around as some manufacturers label their pistols/rifles different to what they can truly handle. In a fair few cases, you can get away with using more powerful gas than you might expect (if the internals are good enough).

But again, that overview on Begadi is a pretty good overview.

The way i work it is, if it has a metal slide eg WE, it can handle green gas and more powerful gases. But if it is a plastic slide eg TM, it it advised you use abby ultra predator gas (which is a bit less powerful then green gas) and less powerful gases.

• Root Admin

Hm, not really. A lot of the latest revisions of TM pistols will handle green gas fine out of the box. Again, it's quite specific and it's worth looking up what kind of gas your gun can handle. For example, Glocks running on green gas are known to shatter the screw hole in the frame after about 1000 rounds have been put through them, but otherwise very, very minor upgrades can be made for any TM to run on much higher pressures.

• Supporters

Im slighty confused by the various different gas cannisters that are on the market.

Green gas, Red Gas, 144a, Ultra Predator, Ultrair...

Has anybody published a simple guide to gases ?

Their strength goes as follows

144a, predator, green gas (propane), red gas.

Best checking to make sure your gun will take green and higher without issue but these days the vast majority are fine with it.

Hm, not really. A lot of the latest revisions of TM pistols will handle green gas fine out of the box. Again, it's quite specific and it's worth looking up what kind of gas your gun can handle. For example, Glocks running on green gas are known to shatter the screw hole in the frame after about 1000 rounds have been put through them, but otherwise very, very minor upgrades can be made for any TM to run on much higher pressures.

Actually it's the older TM's that seem to run better on green/propane, the newer ones dont handle it as well. The glocks, 57s and other newer ones like XDMs wont last as long like older ones will on stronger propellants.

• Root Admin

Actually it's the older TM's that seem to run better on green/propane, the newer ones dont handle it as well. The glocks, 57s and other newer ones like XDMs wont last as long like older ones will on stronger propellants.

Are you sure of that? I got one of the new G18s just a couple of months ago and have skirmished with it 3 times on green gas. I know it's not a great deal, but it seems to have handled it fine (until I dropped the damn thing and it cracked down the mag well). I believe RedWolf also chrono them on green gas, although if they've not updated the listing in a while then that could be why.

I'll defer to your judgement of course as I've only been using TM stuff for a couple of years and I don't believe I've ever owned any of their older stuff.

• Supporters

They may have made amendments to an earlier problem but the 57 is definitely well known for breaking slides- I believe it has something to do with TM using newer air nozzles which are smaller or something along those lines. I may be wrong about the glocks but I'm sure I've seen a number of reports of them dying when used with green. The MP7 is another example, the air nozzles are prone to breakage using green in them unless and aftermarket one is used.

It would make sense to design them to fail so that they cant be used at higher velocities due to the japanese laws and with TM famously not caring about anyone else, they have no need to strengthen them.

• Root Admin

Well, apparently the primary problem is with the screw thread in the frame being smashed to pieces by the slide slamming into it so hard; solution is apparently just to buy a Guarder frame.

I feel that a company like TM gets a fair few sales from exports (not as much as nationally, obviously). When did the whole 'thou shall only use duster-gas' act come into place, because as you say, it would explain the difference in build quality.

• Supporters

Well, apparently the primary problem is with the screw thread in the frame being smashed to pieces by the slide slamming into it so hard; solution is apparently just to buy a Guarder frame.

I feel that a company like TM gets a fair few sales from exports (not as much as nationally, obviously). When did the whole 'thou shall only use duster-gas' act come into place, because as you say, it would explain the difference in build quality.

Anything over 1Joule (328 fps) is illegal in Japan, so I guess on the more recent stuff they probably further designed them so that they can't be used over so easily.

I'm not a fan of glocks so I've never really payed much attention to them, so if you havent seen anything, I assume they're alright.

• Root Admin

Yeh, I know that; I was just wondering when that became a thing as one would maybe then be able to distinguish whether their 'downgrading' of internals actually co-incidence with the restriction on power, or was just an unfortunate coincidence and/or placebo. Oh god, I've over-analysed the fuck out of this.

I'll let you know when I pull the trigger and the front end of the frame flies toward the trees instead of a BB.

Edit: Have a like for yourself too

Archived