Need help purchasing gbb pistol?

Fatknees
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Ok so I'm after a gbb pistol,i like the look of the hi capa models, but was looking for any recommendations really?

Difficult really as most people have one or two but not the whole range so as to make constructive comparisons.

I have a WE SIG P226R which I like because it feels like the real thing and I like the decocker feature.

Its a big gun if you have small hands.

WE have also opened up in Europe so I hope they will get stronger as a brand in terms of support and parts.

• Supporters

I have the we hi cappa 5.1 dragon, looks epic, hell of a kick , very very poor on gas efficiency :( 1 mag = out of gas, but i have 2 we co2 mags :) 2 mags off bb's per co2 capsule.

I have the WE Hi-Capa 5.1 dragon too. I wouldn't really recommend it. It looks friggin great but that's all I can say that's positive about it. Gas efficiency is horrible and disassembling it is a pain in the ass. Great for looks but not much else.

I've also used a HFC HG170, I've had no problems at all with that but I've not used enough pistols to recommend any.

• Supporters

Not wanting to start a GBB vrs AEP discussion/derailment, and i know its not a GBB pistol, but i highly recommend a CYMA G18c AEP :-

its cheap (£60 - £70) ;)

mags are cheap (£30 for 3 100rd mags on ebay) ;)

no gas usage (change it to lipo's (£25 for the adapter plate, then £3.50 each!!! from hobby king) and i get 8 - 9 mags out of a 300mAh lipo :) thats 800 to 900 bb's! if mags are full) ;)

no worry of leaky mags or temperatures causing mags to vent :blink:

easier to maintain (as easy as a AEG) ;)

Very very nice range for its size (i use 0.25 blaster bb's)

It dose have a few down points :-

no blow back therefore not much kick at all :(

and only around 180 - 200 fps :(

out of my 6 100rd mags one has failed :(

at my last secondaries day, it worked flawlessly all day, and i had to change battery twice that's how much i used it, and that's not in full auto either! i have since got a serpa, and it now on my assault vest all the time.

rather than add another post, i'll add to this. There is a common myth that AEP's have a slower trigger response .... i can assure you, mine on its lipo's is as fast as my Hi cappa, and faster then any of my AEG's (but we are talking milli-seconds here). unless you have your trigger permanently depressed to the point of release with a GBB, i wouldn't say they were any faster.

GBB's are alot of fun, look really cool .. but do require alot of maintainence

I'm starting to become of the opinion that pistols are just for show, and for show GBB is the way to go. Only reason to buy a blowback anything is because it blows back and you like that so I think an AEP kind of misses the point of a pistol.

• Root Admin

I'd argue that for scirmishing, having that very instant trigger = bb (rather than the second you need to wait for with an AEP) kind of gives you the upper hand in CQC (which, let's fact it, is really the only time you even think about having a pistol drawn in airsoft).

Spawnah is right though in that GBBs are incredibly fun, but do require regular maintenance (and gas is a bit pricey if you go for the really good stuff and haven't got a gun that can handle green gas).

After having a variety of pistols (and speaking to others about theirs), I'm going to be really annoying and say that you should go with anything Tokyo Marui (if you can find any in stock anywhere!). You might pay a 20% premium for a TM, but you'll have the best out-of-the-box pistol that there is. Excellent everything. They make a great Hi-Capa too. Sorry to give you yet another brand to look at, but the TMs really will just keep going and going (if you have the money to spend).

Thanks to everyone for there feedback you've defiantly gave me some food for thought

Cheers

I have the We hi-capa 7" dragon its a total beast.

As others have said (and its true) you only get 1 mag worth from the gas so thats a pain but in terms of performance my 7inch dragon out performs everyone else's pistol in terms of range and accuracy and thanks to the longer barrel it cycles very smoothly so I highly recommend it for that however due to its size I'm ordering to special holster for it and lots of extra mags are a must, a friend of mine has the 5.1 hi capa and again its a great little gun.

Here are the reviews on the hi-capas I watched before I got mine which helped me make my mind up.

- Hi -capa 7

- hi capa 5.1

Archived