owning and keeping a RIF at home

broklebean
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

hi everyone.

i have a question i hope someone can help me with.

Next month i will be getting my 3rd stamp then my UKARA, i shall be buying a rifle as soon as i can, this has has made my wife worry a little bit as she doesnt want the police kicking the door down because i have a gun in the house so, (here is my question)

do you think when i have the rifle it would be worth going to the local police station and having a chat with them to let them know i have an imitation firearm and what im planning on using it for?

just want to put the wife at ease on this really thanks for your help

• Supporters

Not necessary, you're perfectly within your rights to own one once you have your defence.

If you're going to use it in the garden and you have twitchy neighbours then you might want to make sure they're aware of it, so they don't ring the rozzers if they see you with it through their window or something, but otherwise you're fine.

Other members here and Airsoft players have experienced knocks on the door in the evening by the police after shooting at targets in the garden and had to show/explain that its a toy, hence Ed's comments above.

So basically even if someone sees you with it and calls the police I shouldn't worry too much, if your not waving it in public or being threatening usually the police won't even know its there.

Also if you watch the police series on tv and stuff they usually spend days researching and surveillance before doing a morning raid which should give them enough time to realise that your not a mass murdering nutter ;)

Your within your rights to go to your local police station and inform them of its presence (Don't bring it to show them - RIF in public etc) but its not required since its a legal 'toy'. Probably wouldn't hurt but may be considered a bit over the top :)

do you think when i have the rifle it would be worth going to the local police station and having a chat with them to let them know i have an imitation firearm and what im planning on using it for?

sounds like a great way to get your nose broken when they hear you say "I have a realistic imitation FIREARM at home." and slam you into the ground^^ nah just keep a low profile mate. I usually have mine hidden away from view when I got visitors.

Yeah Avoide telling people that you have one, And id say dont bother usign it in the garden, unless you are super friendly with the folk next door otherwise you cant trust em for crap.

You may saw "realistic imitation firearm, but the key word they will hear would be firearm.

Although a friend had a right old laugh when he had to phone up a courier service after they misdelivered His RIF on delivery, the poor women almost had a heart attack the second she heard the word firearm. and delivered to the wrong address put into the same sentance.

Thanks very much for your advice guys. I won't use it in the garden it's to enclosed and surrounded by other houses. I think she was worried more for when I take the kit to the car on game days. Someone my see it, I think I will invest in a carry case/bag too

Yeah gun bag or case is definitely best option. Again, if your driving normally and legally the chances of the police knowing its there are close to 0.

That having been said If you do get stopped the first words out of your mouth should be:

There is a toy gun with realistic colouring in the trunk in a gun bag. Its legal and cannot be modified to fire real ammunition. - As soon as you say that they will probably want to take a look at it but once you explain your an Airsofter they shouldn't cause you any problems. (explain its like paintball) - Usually works.

Very worst case scenario they will confiscate the gun and take you to the station until their satisfied its legal but a quick call to your skirmish site should sort this at the roadside in any case. - Getting arrested is practically impossible provided you stay calm and be as reasonable as possible. - Also if your close to the site when you get stopped offer to let them drive you/follow you there and talk to the staff. It should be pretty obvious to any police officer that your legit if you show them 25/30 other people doing the exact same thing. :)

Haha, yeah the words to use are "toy gun" - Works a lot better :)

"Hello officer, I would like to report that I have a toy gun in my house."

Yeah gun bag or case is definitely best option.

"I do so wonder what's in that gun case... A violin?"

(explain its like paintball)

"it's a bit like paintball" - very good way to explain the sport in short to a college but gets you dirty looks from other airsofters :D

..and having the sites telephone number as well as your UKARA number written down can be a good idea.

People often get paranoid about this.

Firstly, how will the plod know you have a gun in the house? As long as you are sensible and keep the gun covered when entering and leaving the house, nobody ever need know. If you want to test, either set up a small range in the garage, or fire from within the house into the garden.

That said, I hold real steel firearms at home, as well as air rifles and airsoft guns, and often have them out in the open. Granted we are in a rural location where guns aren't a novelty, but I've never had any problems.

Obviously no guns are ever left out. The firearms are locked away in the gun safe when not being used/cleaned/worked on, the air rifles in a locked cupboard and the airsoft in bags in the spare room.

When I move the guns about I carry them in slips or bags from the house to the car. They are never left in the car on their own.

I have been stopped on a few occasions when transporting guns. Tends to happen when you do a lot of lamping late at night, and there has never been a problem. Of course those were real steel guns, which I could prove I was entitled to be in possession of, but the airsoft gun is just a toy, and if it is properly covered and you can give a good reason to have it in a public place (your car is classed as a public place) such as travelling to/from a site, showing it to a friend who is thinking of buying it etc. then there will be no issue.

A point to note. Your average plod will have no idea about UKARA and the other exemptions under the VCRA, so be prepared to calmly and politely explain that part of the law to them. They cannot know every single piece of legislation, and a calm, reasoned explanation will often help to enlighten them.

I think you are wrong about them having no idea about UKARA, thou they might not have any in dept knowledge, I've heard of police thinking it's a legal requirement / license.

I think you are wrong about them having no idea about UKARA, thou they might not have any in dept knowledge, I've heard of police thinking it's a legal requirement / license.

And that classes as "knowing about it"?

sounds like a great way to get your nose broken when they hear you say "I have a realistic imitation FIREARM at home." and slam you into the ground^^ nah just keep a low profile mate. I usually have mine hidden away from view when I got visitors.

Won't be that bad. We asked out local police if we could walk around campus for freshers fair (Uni Land) with them during a sports and societies meeting :P The look on the police man's face when we asked "can we carry Replica Imitation Firearms" was memorable.

After a talk they were completely understanding though, although we were disallowed due to it still being a public thoroughfare dispite the public having no reason to be there.

Although they were the police for the university. Some random old copper might take it differently.

I'd say so *shrugs*

I'd say I "know about it" but I couldn't recite the law for you but hey ho^^

Sorry mate, but as an owner and user of RIF's, you'd better believe you need to know the law inside out. Maybe not word for word, but at least the pertinent points as regards the legality of possession, what you can do legally and what's likely to get you shot/arrested/some time to reflect at her majesties pleasure!

Sorry mate, but as an owner and user of RIF's, you'd better believe you need to know the law inside out. Maybe not word for word, but at least the pertinent points as regards the legality of possession, what you can do legally and what's likely to get you shot/arrested/some time to reflect at her majesties pleasure!

rofl. I just said I know the law but "not word for word". Believe me I know all laws around rifs and firearms very well.

I have to disagree. As long as you can show it can't fire live ammo and that you've taken the right precautions (gunbag, not transporting with loaded bb's etc) the most they will do is take details (ID obviously) and confiscate the gun until their informed of the law.

If you have time (or your on the way to a skirmish where you need the gun) ask them to phone the site or radio with the police station. Bring it up on google on your phone. I mean god its not like there's no way of the police finding out the law. And you are technically LEGAL (or you have a defence for the picky :)).

If I remember rightly there is no legal precedent (no one been charged yet) for owning an airsoft RIF.

As long as you keep calm and reasonable with the police how the hell can you get arrested for having a toy gun - In any case if it gets that far they will ask for a statement when you get to the police station, so you say something along the lines of: "Check the law on airsoft and I want a lawyer for unlawful arrest."

Knowing how the police are with court cases they should have checked and released you without charge before the lawyer can even drive to the police station!

Case closed :P

Archived