Side-Arm Holster Preferences

iAcorn
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

So I have my own side arm but I cirrently dont have a holster for it yet. I was just curious as to what other peoples preferences are when it comes to your side-arm loadout. Do you prefer a drop leg or belt holster? Or even have it attached somewhere on your rig/vest? And how do you prefer to store your extra mags for it?

Maybe this will help me choose, maybe it wont. But I'm still curious. In the long run I will be aiming more for a contractor look than a military style, after all I have got an Army of Two mask so it makes sense :) I'm thinking either drop-leg or attached to my vest.

chest mounted holsters are quite good from what ive seen as long as there of rugged construction

drop leg holsters if there mounted properly they are very good but what will always swing about

belt holsters i like easy to grab i bit hard to put the weapon back into but apart from that not bad

shoulder holsters i dont see the point in but they work well in combination with webbing and other LBE

but all in all its how you want to use you sidearm that will dictate where you'll have your holster

hope this helps

I use a belt holster that wraps around the gun and does up with a popper. Reason for this is .... if u want to mount a torch of some description on the front u wont get the normal holster to accept it very well due to the bulky size of the pistol with torch mounted. Mags well i hav 3 50rnd mags for mi e and have brought a mp5 dropleg mag holder for it for cqb as dont wear a vest if wearing a vest i have pouches in the vest to fit them ( the joys of molle)

I use genuine Blackhawk level 2 serpa dropleg. No movement or wobble of the pistol in the holster or the holster on my leg.

If you use a dropleg you need to mount it as high as you can. A lot of people i see have them too low (just above the knee) and too loose.

Nice thing with the Blackhawk is that the leg straps have rubberised strips that stop it from sliding round your leg.

safariland 6005 sls i hope all you serpa lovers get the hint and i have to agree with matt belt holsters are the way forward then again ive got a wrist holster for my colt 25

It seems to be very round about. I guess I will try both and see what I like. But I will probably go belt. I dont have really low rig or anything like that so there should be space on my belt... When I get a belt ^_^

I run a Blackhawk Serpa. Have the belt loops, MOLLE attachment and drop leg. This way i can change to any position i want. Currently have it on the drop leg. Had it on the front of my PC but it got in the way and on the belt it hot the bottom of the PC so is uncomfortable.

its all down to personal preference.

Yeah I agree. I went ahead and got a drop leg too. But I'm going to have it as high as possible. I use a PC and whilst I could put it on there, I dont want to for 2 reasons. It will be annoying to go prone. And it really only benefits if you're sitting in a vehicle... Which I wont be. As for the hip, I have a PC so it might nudge the top. Rather not take the risk. So I have a drop leg and I will have it as high as it will go to avoid wobble with minimal leg movement :) For now mu budget only lets me buy a generic holster. But in the future a serpa looks like a very tempting purchase.

Next up is my primary weapon! Which I am looking to buy after Saturday :)

• Supporters

Guys if your serpa is interfering with your rig, or rather the other way around, get yourselves one of these, Serpa jacket platform puts the holster level with the front pockets on your trousers.

• Supporters

Only potential problem with those (having skirmished similar setups of G-Code gear) is that they can dig in to your thigh when you lean. Which firstly can be quite painful depending on how fast you move, but more importantly if the whole thing is solid enough (will be pretty solid using blackhawks' CFRP material) it just all out stops you from adopting the stances that you want to adopt. That's the advantage of a properly mounted drop-leg, gives you pretty much the same mounting position as a drop-belt (i.e. around in line with your standard front trouser pockets) but it all moves with your leg, rather than sometimes hindering it.

Archived