Modifying Plate Carrier for side release

Sacarathe
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

I own a Flyye LT6094 vest.

I would like to be able to remove it without taking off my eye pro - as currently it's an overhead affair. I also don't want to drastically alter how it sits or make permanent modification. I want to change it to side release buckles on one or both sides. Alternatively I can just buy the warrior DCS which has one side release buckle on the front left shoulder. My flyye carrier cost half as much so ideally upgrading it would be best.

I thus need 1 buckle, one piecer of cord to go through the ring on the back and something to pull down over the clip (if it's plastic).

Anyone got any advice about what I'd buy?

Alternatively I could just loosen out one strap significantly and then use a side buckle on the front (+velcro) on the front to pull it tight.

Obviously permanent modification would be the easiest route to my objectives.

I'm assuming you mean like this on the Crye AVS? Would you not want the cummerbund to also be quick detachable? There are plenty of decent clips you could use to mod the shoulder strap on ebay. Depending how comfortable you are with modding things like this yourself i could recommend a guy that could do the work you need. 

maxresdefault.jpg

I just want to not have to lift it over my head to take it off, nothing more.

Since I can rotate it 90 degrees, there is no permanent change needed as the side release buckle can be over a shoulder blade. I just need a suitable material for the new strap loop between the back of the PC and the new buckle.

It's real simple, though that doesn't mean I can necessarily make it strong or stable enough without help.

Isn't this the kind of thing that one would go to a haberdashers for? Buttons, buckles, straps and stuff?

• Supporters
13 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

Isn't this the kind of thing that one would go to a haberdashers for? Buttons, buckles, straps and stuff?

Not in the UK, the average sew shop/tailors etc will not have a damn clue about anything vaguely tactical.  I've been to a couple to try and get clothes modded and they just don't have a clue, load bearing kit they'll have even less of an idea.  Yes technically it's still fabrics sewn together, but a PC is a totally different ball game to a shirt.

Sac, get in touch with JTAC Custom or Tacbelts UK on facebook.  Basically what you want to do to convert the strap is cut out part of the current one where it meets the front plate bag, have some 1/1.5" webbing stitched to the end of the strap and to the plate bag itself, then have an appropriate ITW side release buckle put in place there, same as the DCS.  You'll want someone with at least a commercial grade machine to do the sew job, shouldn't cost very much.

9 hours ago, CKinnerley said:

Sac, get in touch with JTAC Custom or Tacbelts UK on facebook.  Basically what you want to do to convert the strap is cut out part of the current one where it meets the front plate bag, have some 1/1.5" webbing stitched to the end of the strap and to the plate bag itself, then have an appropriate ITW side release buckle put in place there, same as the DCS.  You'll want someone with at least a commercial grade machine to do the sew job, shouldn't cost very much.

Thanks. I've not had the carrier out since I decided to this though based on the photos in the link above I think it would be possible just to make a loop through the current attachment point on the back plate so the clip sits at the back. Is there something impractical about this idea which I've missed? I still agree I should outsource it, but I don't think it's necessary to have the clip on the front.

• Supporters

Why not have it on the front?  It's going to be a PITA to un-clip at the back, let alone re-clip once you're back in to your rig.  Every other PC design with QR on the shoulder straps has the polymer hardware at the fronts for a reason.

8 hours ago, CKinnerley said:

Why not have it on the front?  It's going to be a PITA to un-clip at the back, let alone re-clip once you're back in to your rig.  Every other PC design with QR on the shoulder straps has the polymer hardware at the fronts for a reason.

Oh, purely to reduce the need for permanent alteration. I only want to be able to take it off without removing my eyeprotection, if the clip was at the back I'd only need to rotate it 90 degrees to /remove (admittedly 180 to put it on).

If there's an impractical reason affecting function which I'm not seeing then I'm happy to accent to more knowledgable opinion of course. :)

12 hours ago, CKinnerley said:

This is why I mentioned the AVS way of having the strap clip. surely having to twist yourself within the PC is impractical anyway when you could just do the clip at the front and be done with it. Not sure why you wouldn't want to permanently do it as if your not planning on selling it you'll be using it for some time.

On 3/2/2017 at 0:32 PM, CKinnerley said:

Not in the UK, the average sew shop/tailors etc will not have a damn clue about anything vaguely tactical.  I've been to a couple to try and get clothes modded and they just don't have a clue, load bearing kit they'll have even less of an idea.  Yes technically it's still fabrics sewn together, but a PC is a totally different ball game to a shirt.

Maybe try and research any fitters that have MoD contracts? Should be on public records.

Or police and other emergency services for that matter when it comes to stab vests, utility vest repairs etc.

theyre likely to be more clued up when it comes to rugged tactical stuff

3 hours ago, clumpyedge said:

This is why I mentioned the AVS way of having the strap clip. surely having to twist yourself within the PC is impractical anyway when you could just do the clip at the front and be done with it. Not sure why you wouldn't want to permanently do it as if your not planning on selling it you'll be using it for some time.

It mitigates any chance of problems if the base product has not been altered.

I'm guessing that since you guys are not raising potential issues during use that you cannot think of any way the clip would cause any issues being at the back?

• Supporters
4 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

Maybe try and research any fitters that have MoD contracts? Should be on public records.

Or police and other emergency services for that matter when it comes to stab vests, utility vest repairs etc.

theyre likely to be more clued up when it comes to rugged tactical stuff

Most military kit doesn't get repaired. Certainly not armour/pouches. They're so cheap they just get binned and new ones issued. 

2 hours ago, jcheeseright said:

Most military kit doesn't get repaired. Certainly not armour/pouches. They're so cheap they just get binned and new ones issued. 

Most, but I would be very surprised if there weren't at least one or two companies contracted with those kinds of repairs or outfitting.

• Supporters
1 hour ago, AshOnSnow said:

Most, but I would be very surprised if there weren't at least one or two companies contracted with those kinds of repairs or outfitting.

Yeah, sure, but they're not going to take your 1-off airsoft job; economy of scale.  The few companies in the UK that sew stuff for military/police are producing stuff in large quantities, there's no money in tiny custom jobs for airsofters.

If you want custom work on camo or belts or chest rigs or whatever, you go guys/companies like the ones I already linked and they'll sort it.  Simple as that.

• Supporters
3 hours ago, AshOnSnow said:

I honestly can't think of a single fabric item that gets repaired except life jackets (they're done by military personnel, not contracted out).  No1 uniforms get tailored but they're done by tailoring companies, just like a normal seamstress. 

You our would be amazed at the MODs ability to waste money! 

Dixies corner are the squaddies favorite for customising gear

http://dixiescorner.co.uk/repairs--alterations-21-w.asp

There are tailors around all military sites across the U.K., most do deal with uniforms, but a few do heavy duty gear

The army's equipment isn't as cheap as you think, but it doesn't just get repaired, it has to be made more ally with the latest fashion as soon as you leave training

On 02/03/2017 at 0:32 PM, CKinnerley said:

Not in the UK, the average sew shop/tailors etc will not have a damn clue about anything vaguely tactical.  

PS don't be too rash in writing off a local haberdashery

They will have webbing and clips etc, but are more likely to stock black & white then more current 'tactical' coyote / tan colours etc, but could get it in (though there are plenty online suppliers)

Other than a basic tailors a proper haberdashery shop will supply and know the local heavy duty seamstresses.

A commerical grade sewing machine is needed rather than a basic domestic one, and it needs the ability for the height to be adjusted for thick material

However a proper old school hand powered (or upgraded electrical powered) Singer sewing machine works wonders

For tactical grade materials the difference would just be how quickly it blunts the needle, which costs pennys

Find a proper haberdashery / fabric shop, the ladies will be very helpful and will know who to recommend for a custom job

Archived