A couple of questions about RIFs.

Tamberlin
This thread is over three months old. Please be sure that your post is appropriate as it will revive this otherwise old (and possibly forgotten) topic.

Hey everyone,

I've been sporadically interested in airsoft for about four or five years now. However, as I have just recently turned 14, a number of local sites are now available to play at without a parent present within the game.

I have tried out many of my friends guns, including springers, shotguns, AEGs, and a gas blowback SCAR. Out of all of them, I absolutely loved the SCAR. It felt so real in my hands.

After months of looking at reviews and comparing different guns, I've chosen the GHK G5. It seems to be the easiest GBBR to maintain (servicing it after every game), and it also looks to be a fantastic gun straight out of the box, with no upgrades needed for it to be skirmish-able for CQB.

So, after that introduction, my question is this: As I am going to be spending well over £300 to get this gun (adding on a carbine kit, getting a scope, extra magazines, and possibly even more expensive accessories), would I be allowed to convert it back to RIF status when I get my UKARA at 18? Could I simply buy the upper receiver from a parts website and ask a local store to covert it for me? Are there legal issues with that?

Another question is this: I have seen a number of fantastic GBBRs for sale on here. Would it actually be possible to buy the gun from the seller, but asking them to get it two-toned at a store? (I would obviously pay for the service and their travel)? Or would the majority of sellers see this as a lot of extra hassle for not very much?

Many thanks,

Alfie

• Supporters

Perfectly fine if you're skirmishing regularly, however you cannot purchase second-hand RIF/IF's as you're under 18. I'm assuming your parents will be purchasing the items for you so having them purchase the items for you as a 'gift', there isn't anything wrong with that.

Buying the parts new from a retailer then assembling them would be manufacturing an RIF.

Amusingly there is nothing I've seen in the legislation prohibiting under 18's from manufacturing a RIF in circumstances which an adult can.

Make sure you do thorough research on scopes as some do not like recoil.

Perfectly fine if you're skirmishing regularly, however you cannot purchase second-hand RIF/IF's as you're under 18. I'm assuming your parents will be purchasing the items for you so having them purchase the items for you as a 'gift', there isn't anything wrong with that.

Buying the parts new from a retailer then assembling them would be manufacturing an RIF.

Well, of course, my parents would be purchasing one on my behalf. However, is it illegal to manufacture an RIF without a UKARA and whilst you're under 18? (More pointing to the post above)?

• Supporters

I thought so! Thanks :)

So, just to re-cap, my parents are going to buy me a two-toned G5, and when I get my UKARA, I am allowed to ask a store to refit the black parts?

You may as well tape it up with camo tape before you turn up to a site, or take off the paint after a few games if you can show that you've attended skirmishes regularly.

You may as well tape it up with camo tape before you turn up to a site, or take off the paint after a few games if you can show that you've attended skirmishes regularly.

Is that not manufacturing an RIF? I know British law is confusing in tons of areas, but it seems utterly ridiculous that you're legally allowed to scrape off the two-tone but not fit a new part.

• Supporters

Is that not manufacturing an RIF? I know British law is confusing in tons of areas, but it seems utterly ridiculous that you're legally allowed to scrape off the two-tone but not fit a new part.

No, because you're covering up the painted areas with tape / removing the paint rather than assembling an RIF. It's poorly written and has been for years, so don't worry about it too much

It is highly unlikely you will be able to buy G5 parts. Extremely rare.

Once you got your defence you can paint it black.

You're kidding, right?

http://www.milspecsolutions.co.uk/gas-blowback-parts/ghk-rifle-parts/ghk-g5-parts?page=1

One feature a reviewer pointed out was that if it does break, it's fantastic because literally every single gun part is available for purchase online..

Yes

Actually, technically no. It is illegal to manufacture a RIF without a defence (ie. proof that you will be using it for airsoft). There is no mention of age in relation to this.

Actually, technically no. It is illegal to manufacture a RIF without a defence (ie. proof that you will be using it for airsoft). There is no mention of age in relation to this.

Yep, and UKARA only prohibits under 18s because it is not in that retail association's (or public perception of the airsoft lobby for the hobby) interest to do otherwise. The United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Associations does not have the authority to dictate that only adults may manufacture a RIF, though they provide a simple defence for adults, nothing states that this defence requires that the holder/user is an adult.

Though to save face on this i'd just say if you want a RIF, have your parents buy a Two-Tone IF and then either have an adult holding active UKARA membership remove the paint, or decide for yourself (or more realistically, convince your parent/guardian) after you have qualified for UKARA (bar your age) that you can manufacture the RIF. This strictly speaking means playing at a site on this list.

Though in all honestly, I can't see why a child would want a RIF. The only reason I have a RIF is that I can't sell a two-tone gun later as "like new exterior" if it's been painted and stripped.

In the end, don't trust us, check out the legislation for yourself. :)

Yep, and UKARA only prohibits under 18s because it is not in that retail association's (or public perception of the airsoft lobby for the hobby) interest to do otherwise. The United Kingdom Airsoft Retailers Associations does not have the authority to dictate that only adults may manufacture a RIF, though they provide a simple defence for adults, nothing states that this defence requires that the holder/user is an adult.

Though to save face on this i'd just say if you want a RIF, have your parents buy a Two-Tone IF and then either have an adult holding active UKARA membership remove the paint, or decide for yourself (or more realistically, convince your parent/guardian) after you have qualified for UKARA (bar your age) that you can manufacture the RIF. This strictly speaking means playing at a site on this list.

Though in all honestly, I can't see why a child would want a RIF. The only reason I have a RIF is that I can't sell a two-tone gun later as "like new exterior" if it's been painted and stripped.

In the end, don't trust us, check out the legislation for yourself. :)

Actually the law restricts sale of RIF's and IF's (2 tone guns) to over 18's. There is no mention of age in relation to anything else. To manufacture or import a RIF you just need a defence. A defence could be UKARA registration or it could be anything else that proves you intend to use the RIF for legitimate purposes. I would suggest that it might be better to replace the 2 tone parts at the airsoft site and swap them back before leaving at the end of the day.

Actually the law restricts sale of RIF's and IF's (2 tone guns) to over 18's. There is no mention of age in relation to anything else.

Didn't I say that? :) Or is that 'actually' just superfluous? :)

I would suggest that it might be better to replace the 2 tone parts at the airsoft site and swap them back before leaving at the end of the day.

Is that with or without waiting to at least meet the UKARA criterion that the OP can meet? :)

Archived