Hi, new to airsoft!

Gendo

Hello, 

I still remember a friend of mine had a TM gas pistol back in the late 80s/early 90s and airsoft has been at the back of my head ever since.

After coming across some content I've decided to get one to shoot at home and tinker with it but after learning about the laws i thought I might as well try the sport and see if i like it. 

Will probably still go the Sportsman Association route in order to get my first pistol, done some research but still a little confused about the hardware so will ask in the corresponding threads.

👋

Edited by Gendo

If you are willing to try the sport it would make more sense to do the UKARA route? To me at least it seems more y'know, legitimate. 

Three games in no less than two months is quite a good way to get to know airsoft a bit, you may play your third game and be so sick of it you don't want to play again, but if its been in your mind since the late 80's I doubt you would.. On the other hand you may play your third game and want much more than just a pistol 😜

I think my advice is sound on the "routes" but I'm no veteran so be prepared for some of the others to correct me

Aside that, Welcome to the forum and hopefully to the sport too! What sorts of pistols were you thinking about?

27 minutes ago, Gendo said:

but still a little confused about the hardware so will ask in the corresponding threads.

👋

The best way to find out about the gear is to play, check out what others are using …… and take part in the players favorite part of the hobby - showing off and talking about their gear

Everyone has a preference so getting the three games in gives you a few chances to chat and get a feel before you get to make a ‘sensible’ opinion on what’s good for you as opposed to day zero or day one shiney things 

Pistols are fun, but for most of the time they are weight carried in a holster and the rest of the time are dual wield joy whilst you get eliminated 10 to 1 for the one pub war story

Thanks for the feedback.

I do like shiny things :) plus the main point was to shoot some targets at home, I do understand a pistol is only necessary in some CQB games so for anything bigger I will get a feel for it once i try some.

Just had a chat with Bunker 51 (i'm in London), the only bookings open to individuals are for 3 hour games but they can add me to another booking for shorter games too! So will do that soon.

30 minutes ago, Gendo said:

Thanks for the feedback.

I do like shiny things :) plus the main point was to shoot some targets at home, I do understand a pistol is only necessary in some CQB games so for anything bigger I will get a feel for it once i try some.

Just had a chat with Bunker 51 (i'm in London), the only bookings open to individuals are for 3 hour games but they can add me to another booking for shorter games too! So will do that soon.

For target shooting at home you don’t need any of the VCRA defences - a brightly coloured IF will shoot as well as if it were a RIF.

Bright IFs can be anything from a cheap BB shooter to a bells & whistles airsoft gun with a paint job

I'll throw a few more pence in the bucket...

If you just want to plink at home then a pistol is a good choice as its more fun to use than an Electric weapon (AEG)

As Tommikka said, you could just buy a two tone coloured pistol without any legal requirements (as long as you're over 18)

But I would also recommend to try renting at a game site to see the true potential of the sport.  If you don't like it then its not a big cost and you will get to see lots of weapon options.  (I preferred woodland games with sneaking around and a range of weapons but indoor CQB is faster and can be played just with a pistol)

If you do like it then you'll only need to attend two more games at the same place to register with UKARA and then you can buy any realistic coloured toy (RIF)

Check HERE for sites near you.

Either way, have fun 😁👍

Edited by EDcase

Woodland would be my preferred too since it's something closer to what i'm used to, for now an indoors experience would be best as I'm coming out of an injury and don't want to commit to a full day out. 

Not sure if the place runs pistols or rifles but will rent whatever they got. 

• Supporters

Ahoy and welcome.

Sites almost universally rent out electric rifles, and run full days.  There are a few smaller CQB sites that run evenings or half days, but they're relatively rare.  CQB tends to have more shooting and less walking than woodland, but the hits sting more.  Electric and gas, woodland and CQB, it's all great fun, in different ways.

There's no right or wrong way to enjoy airsoft, and it's not worth overthinking it - just get to a site and see if it's for you.

Welcome. If you're just wanting a garden plinker then a 2 tone would fit your needs, however I can fully understand why you'd want a rif. 

Bunker 51 is on the list of sites I visit and I can confirm you can rent AEGs and pistols. In fact in cqb I'll usually run with a pistol for a main weapon.

If you do go I suggest for one of the mid week games as the lower numbers make for a better day.

If it's woodland games you're interested in then you're in luck as there's quite a few sites just outside the London area. Use the link posted by Edcase to find one nearest to you.

If you don't want to commit to a full day then many sites will let you play just the morning for a lower price

Edited by Cannonfodder

• Supporters
4 hours ago, Cannonfodder said:

many sites will let you play just the morning for a lower price

Excellent, this thread is now a [who?][citation needed] handbagging spat.